(Topic ID: 345432)

Zaccaria Magic Castle let’s make the magic happen!

By Mikespinball

6 months ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240128_131643 (resized).jpg
IMG_0703 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0698 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0704 (resized).jpeg
20231007_221522 (resized).jpg
IMG_0689 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0694 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0693 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0686 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0692 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0687 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0688 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0690 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0691 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0685 (resized).jpeg
#1 6 months ago

Hello Pinsider’s
Well I have owned my Zaccaria Magic Castle for a number of years now and thought it was time to finally tackle it. It seems many other projects always got in the way.

Excited to start this project. Please jump in at any time if you have any questions or any other tips that you may have as a go along with this restoration.
This will be a long project as it will fit in between other projects for my clients as this is mine and I want to do a great job on it. So be patient. It may be a number of days or even a week for me to get back on the project, but will always post my progress.

I bought this Zaccaria Magic Castle from a Pinsider in Portland Oregon about three/four years ago. Machine did appear to work some and we played it a bit in my game room for a while before it finally quit.

About two weeks ago I did bring it into the work room and found out that the power supply had an issue which I have recently repaired.

Posting pictures of it now on how it looks. It’s going to need a really good shop job and will strip the top of the playfield and do a new clear coat to it. Will do a number of my own personal mods to it, mainly adding LEDs to help brighten the playfield up.

Well sit down, sit back and relax as you watch my progress and enjoy the ride. Thanks for all that follow along.
Mike

IMG_0685 (resized).jpegIMG_0685 (resized).jpegIMG_0686 (resized).jpegIMG_0686 (resized).jpegIMG_0687 (resized).jpegIMG_0687 (resized).jpegIMG_0688 (resized).jpegIMG_0688 (resized).jpegIMG_0689 (resized).jpegIMG_0689 (resized).jpegIMG_0690 (resized).jpegIMG_0690 (resized).jpegIMG_0691 (resized).jpegIMG_0691 (resized).jpegIMG_0692 (resized).jpegIMG_0692 (resized).jpegIMG_0693 (resized).jpegIMG_0693 (resized).jpegIMG_0694 (resized).jpegIMG_0694 (resized).jpeg
#2 6 months ago

Love mine....

20231007_221522 (resized).jpg20231007_221522 (resized).jpg
#3 6 months ago

Starting working on my project. Started with lower flipper rebuilds. Soldering was done poorly by a previous owner. Got done and all looks very good now.
I didn’t install the linkage yet as that won’t get done until the top side of the playfield is finished.

IMG_0698 (resized).jpegIMG_0698 (resized).jpegIMG_0703 (resized).jpegIMG_0703 (resized).jpegIMG_0704 (resized).jpegIMG_0704 (resized).jpeg
#4 6 months ago

Hard to tell from the pictures, but the playfield surface itself looks like its in great shape. Does it look that good in person close-up?

#5 6 months ago

Yes it’s in great shape. The main play area does show some areas that will need attention, but overall very happy with it.

2 months later
#6 3 months ago

Hello Mike,
I'm going to love this thread if you keep it up

I have a Magic Castle sitting in my cellar and screaming for restoration.

#7 3 months ago

I will, just been busy working on clients machines and not mine.
I turned my hobby into work this last year as Covid killed my home inspection business of 13 years.
Work is coming in and it’s hard to find a happy medium of when to work on my machines. Also selling our house and will be moving once that happens.
I’ll get back to it as I have a number of mods I want to do to it.
Thanks for asking, just tag my thread and you’ll get updates when I do.

#8 3 months ago

Always wanted this pin. Love Zac games in general despite not owning any. This and Spooky are my favorites. Look forward to watching progress.

1 week later
#9 3 months ago

Does this display need replacing? The sound has a lot of static as well. Any fix to that? Thanks

20240128_131643 (resized).jpg20240128_131643 (resized).jpg
#10 3 months ago

It appears that the display does look like in need of replacing. I say this only to my experience with older Bally/Williams machines, but I could be wrong. Also remember you can’t replace the display with a different player number without changing it to the player it’s replacing for.
Sound issues can be caused by capacitors (there old), rheostats/volume controls in need of replacement.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/zaccaria-magic-castle-lets-make-the-magic-happen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.