• Latest reply 5 months ago by ForceFlow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240101_185028 (resized).jpg
#1 5 months ago

I had the boards for my Comet rebuilt and now I am getting the rest of it order and I have a few questions.
While trying to track down the coil sleeves I see that Marco has a set of 13 sleeves. I only counted 11 coils. Am I missing a few?
My machine has rubber caps holding all of the plastic on. Is that original?(See Photo) Is it a good idea to replace them with plastic cap screws?
The flipper rebuild kit from Marco is $49.95, Pinball Life has a kit for $29.95. Can anyone tell me what the difference is?
This is my first rebuild in a while and any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you all and have a happy new year!

20240101_185028 (resized).jpg20240101_185028 (resized).jpg
#2 5 months ago

Marcos buys flipper rebuild kits and many more items from Pinball Life and Pinball Resource and marks them up. Look up the pin on ipdb (see the link in the Pinside listing) to see what type of post caps were on the game originally. Why replace all of the coil sleeves? Inspect, clean and reuse. If they are damaged or binding replace individual sleeves.

#3 5 months ago

Personally I would change all the coil sleeves. Dont cost much and you are good to go for a while. I also count 11 based on ipdb. Go with what you count since you have the game.

#4 5 months ago
Quoted from GL_Pinguy:

Can anyone tell me what the difference is?

Marco is just more expensive.

I usually to go PBResource for rebuilt kits/parts.

Quoted from GL_Pinguy:

My machine has rubber caps holding all of the plastic on. Is that original?(See Photo) Is it a good idea to replace them with plastic cap screws?

They're old, but not original. They originally had plastic screw caps.

The idea behind the rubber post caps is that they would pop off if the plastic got hit hard, thus saving the plastic from breaking, rather than having the plastic take a full hit when screwed down and then end up breaking. This was before plastics protectors became common.

Quoted from GL_Pinguy:

has a set of 13 sleeves. I only counted 11 coils. Am I missing a few?

Did you count the knocker in the backbox and trough kicker under the apron?

#5 5 months ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Look up the pin on ipdb (see the link in the Pinside listing) to see what type of post caps were on the game originally.

When I checked out the link in IPDB the pictures show the plastic cap screws, most of the pictures are from one person, that is why I was wondering if that was original or if that is just what Vic Camp used. I like the idea that the rubber caps may protect the plastics.

Quoted from SpyroFTW:

Personally I would change all the coil sleeves. Dont cost much and you are good to go for a while. I also count 11 based on ipdb. Go with what you count since you have the game.

Yes, I agree. I will be pulling most of the coils to get at other parts and it just make sense to replace the coils sleeves while I am there. I will be buying a kit for the flippers so I will have a few spares for future repairs.

Thanks for the reply's

#6 5 months ago

I will also be needing a new display. Has anyone used the Wolffpac Technologies or Rottendog displays?

#7 5 months ago
Quoted from GL_Pinguy:

When I checked out the link in IPDB the pictures show the plastic cap screws, most of the pictures are from one person, that is why I was wondering if that was original or if that is just what Vic Camp used.

The flyer showed the plastic screw caps.

Quoted from GL_Pinguy:

I like the idea that the rubber caps may protect the plastics.

Plastic protectors are better, and if those aren't available for a particular game, I usually go with plastic washers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mooresville, NC
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Poolville, TX

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-comet-rebuild-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.