Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by PinballAir
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

This is a restored volcano I picked up. It has a Rottendog MPU and NiWumpf driver board. Game played fine and then decided not to start a game. I checked trough switches and all appeared okay.

Powered back up the pin and the displays are out, speaker has a whine to it, and some of the controlled lamps are stuck on along with GI.

Checked voltages in the cabinet and have the following:
F1 -4.5vac
F2- 4.5vac
F3- 5 vdc
F4- -7.43vdc
F5- 13.8vac
F6- 34.6vac
F7-77.2vac

Voltages in the backbox power supply are as follows - note 5vdc is missing at TP4 and 5vdc led is not lit.
Tp1-63.3vdc
Tp2- 45.7vdc
Tp4-0 vdc
Tp5-15vdc

The 5vdc led on the MPU is also out. Checked and the MPU is not getting 5vdc so it cannot boot.

Not very familiar with these system 80 games. Any help on trouble shooting would rally be apprciated.

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

Any help on trouble shooting would rally be apprciated.

Snap a couple pics of the boards in the back box.

#4 6 years ago

Grumpy,

I pulled the power board and found where someone had broken one of the legs on the silicon rectifier at scr1. I resoldered and it worked for second- had correct 5vdc and then crapped out again. Is there an equivalent for that rectifier? Not finding one on the web.

Thanks.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

Not finding one on the web

Try a NTE5452.

2 weeks later
#6 6 years ago

Grumpy,

I got the power supply back and the game now goes into to attract mode. I still cannot get a game to start, which was the original problem before the power supply crapped out. One day the game is working fine, the next day the game will not start.

It has a rottendog MPU and NiWumpf driver board. It is as if the game does not recognize the balls in the trough. Solenoid self test activates all solenoids including the ball kicker in the trough. I don't have a schematic so don't know which transistor on the driver board controls the ball trough kicker. Would it be the same as for a black hole? I have that manual.

Thanks for the additional reading. I have filed it away for future reference.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

It is as if the game does not recognize the balls in the trough.

Have you done a switch test? A switch may need adjusting or a switch diode maybe bad.

#8 6 years ago

Also have you done the slam switch mod?

#9 6 years ago

No on the slam switch mod. Was not aware of that mod for system 80 games - don't work on these very much as I only have a black hole in my small collection. I will run a switch test later this evening when I get home.

#10 6 years ago

I could not determine the switch test for the rottendog board during attract mode. I figured out the solenoid test because they started firing. Rottendog does not post their manuals online. Do you know which number is the switch test while in diagnostic mode?

Thanks,

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

Do you know which number is the switch test while in diagnostic mode?

Sorry I do not have a Rotten Dog board, do they have any help line info on there site?

#12 6 years ago

No manuals on info available through their site. I did a google search and didn't come with anything either. I will contact them directly.

#13 6 years ago

I got the game to start - had to manually add credits with the coin door switch. Two pop bumpers and the return kicker on the left out hole are not working. Also background sound is not working. I checked the dip switches on the soundboard to make sure it was set for background sound. Leaving to go out of town and won't get back to it until next weekend.

#14 6 years ago

Finally a little time to get back working on this pin.

As I mentioned above, I got the 5volts working so the game now goes into attract mode. Free game does not work, but I can start a game with the coin door switch. Sound has voice but no background sounds. Several solenoids are not working - pop bumpers, left ball kick back, ball tough kicker.

I am trying to tackle the sound first. All ground mods are completed. Whe I push the test button on the sound/speech board it says "eprom one failed". not sure where to start.

Thanks

#15 6 years ago

Is the sound board part of the Rottendog board ?
I had issues with the original sound board in my volcano.

There are 3 distinct sounds:
Volcano in background
Voice
Target sounds.

If you have the original board, and are looking for the Volcano sound try turning the dip switch #5 off and on.
My game would lose the Volcano for no reason. If I pushed on the rocker sw it would come back for a while.
I changed the bank of switches and it has worked since.

#16 6 years ago

I also had a problem with the machine in attract mode and would not start a game. Again I have original boards.
I changed Z13 and Z14 ( Z14 was bad) and I was all set.
I have do not currently have a rottendog so I do not know if it is a copy of the original or not.

#17 6 years ago

The target sounds are missing. I have voice and the Volcano eruption background sound. The sound board is original. New boards are Rottendog MPU and NiWumfp driver board.

I will try toggling DIP switch. I did reset all the DIP switches when initially checking out the problem but did not try resetting the 5th switch several times.

#18 6 years ago

The target sounds originate on the MPU or the Driver board. So you need to make sure your connectors are clean.
Reseat the connectors on the MPU to the driver and from the driver to the sound board.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/volcano-missing-5-volts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.