View topic image gallery

20141124_162433.jpg
image-739.jpg
20141107_190828.jpg
20141107_185455.jpg
20932-i.jpg
image-715.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Frax came up with a fantastic mod for Tron. It's an illuminated Recognizer target bank for the 3 targets in front of the recognizer. It is illuminated red at all times and when the targets are hit, it flashes blue. Frax has also made it available to use with the PIG2 to have the drop bank do a red pulsing effect. The mod requires the replacement of the drop bank and installation of the LEDs with easy to follow instructions.

We will also offer this for Spiderman in the near future.

http://mezelmods.com/collections/tron/products/tron-illuminated-bank-target

image-715.jpgimage-715.jpg

Video 1- Regular mod install - at the 2:20 mark you can see the blue flashing effect
Video 2 - PIG2 implemented

#2 9 years ago

*psst* Recognizer bank. Has there ever been an actual lingo term used for these things? I mean, AFM, Spiderman, Pinbot, Jackbot, Tron, I'm sure there's others that have had motorized targets...

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

*psst* Recognizer bank. Has there ever been an actual lingo term used for these things? I mean, AFM, spiderman, Pinbot, Jackbot, Tron, I'm sure there's others that have had motorized targets...

Motorized 3-bank is my shorthand for it *shrug*

#4 9 years ago

Can this mod be used with the recognizer sticker that I already have installed on the top of the bank?20932-i.jpg20932-i.jpg

#5 9 years ago

Wow, great mod and thanks for all of the mentions!

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

Can this mod be used with the recognizer sticker that I already have installed on the top of the bank?

20932-i.jpg 49 KB

I actually put mine on there last night. I'm going to shoot a video when I get home tonight. It's partially translucent as-is as PinballCustoms prints them, but he said he'd shoot me the file.. I'm going to see about how feasible it is to make a more translucent one for this target bank that transmits light better and make those traces glow and stand out when it's down.

The 3d printed one isn't perfectly flat on top, so I'm gonna keep an eye out for adhesion/durability issues as I play mine, will keep you guys posted, as well on if we get the transparency-printed one going. It's not included with the mod (at least for the time being), and I didn't want to step on Brock's toes by just going out and making my own design.. his is perfect already, but I did implement the PIG2 with it in mind that the decal would eventually be there and lighting up the decal.

#7 9 years ago

I will spray the top with a light coat of lacquer to make it smoother for good adhesion.

#8 9 years ago

Hey Tim, isn't the same bank used in Avatar as well?

#9 9 years ago

coolio

#10 9 years ago

Could you show a pic with everything your getting not installed?

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Quiddity:

Hey Tim, isn't the same bank used in Avatar as well?

Certainly looks like it!

#12 9 years ago

Some pics of the bank with pinballcustoms decal.

20141107_185455.jpg20141107_185455.jpg 20141107_190828.jpg20141107_190828.jpg
#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Some pics of the bank with pinballcustoms decal.

20141107_185455.jpg 231 KB

20141107_190828.jpg 251 KB

Frax,
Were you able to use your old already installed top target bank decal? I wouldn't mind installing this new mod if I didn't have to worry about the decal I already have installed having to be replaced.

#14 9 years ago

The decal I used is a new one. I don't have any way to know if your old one could be removed and reapplied. I would figure at least you would need some additional adhesive.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from BillE:

Could you show a pic with everything your getting not installed?

Here is the kit, also comes with replacement target back foam.

image-739.jpgimage-739.jpg

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

The decal I used is a new one. I don't have any way to know if your old one could be removed and reapplied. I would figure at least you would need some additional adhesive.

Where can this decal be purchased? My machine came with it already installed when I purchased from original owner.

#18 9 years ago

I ordered the decal, just waiting

#19 9 years ago

Video install run-through for those interested:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAaDMl0zPML5f7FXDOZ9UBqn6EDJZHmMQ

Let me know if link no worky. Pardon the anachronisms as I shot this video prior to the announcement..

There's like one or two annotations to correct minor things.

#20 9 years ago

Guys, I wanted to let you know, I apparently supplied Mezel with the unfinished text file for install instructions.

Particularly, the section about hooking up the PIG2 connection if you have one is wonky and unfinished. I am going to correct that ASAP. In the meanwhile, if you are unable to figure it out from the install videos or the information that is up, please PM me. I'm happy to lend a hand when I have a moment. The only thing I can't remember offhand right now is which switch lug needs to have the diode going into the PIG2. I will try to have the updated information to them by tomorrow evening at the latest. Totally my fault on that.

I'm reviewing the entire text file for errors at this point, and going to take some additional pictures for them to use as well. PM me if you have any questions about the install.

#21 9 years ago

Thank you so much Frax! Sending a customer question your way

#22 9 years ago

Is there a way to turn off the glow while it is down? I guess only the PIG2 would allow this?
Or, the real question, can you see the glow thru the sticker when it is down? I like the mod but I like the fact the sticker blends in with the PF when down.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Is there a way to turn off the glow while it is down? I guess only the PIG2 would allow this?
Or, the real question, can you see the glow thru the sticker when it is down? I like the mod but I like the fact the sticker blends in with the PF when down.

Agreed...like the idea of it coming up, glowing, flashing when hit, then going back down dark when completed....want the stickers to match when down.....

#24 9 years ago

The only way to have it turn off completely when down is to use a PIG2. There's nothing in the game that turns on when the bank is up, and off when the bank is down already, and definitely not at the 12v needed to really make the mod pop.

How noticeable it is in "default" mode without a pig2 when it's down is kind of subjective. If you have a lot of bright LED GI, eli ramps, and overhead lighting (i.e. aren't playing in a dim room), then it's not going to be hardly noticeable at all that there's a light under there, except maybe around the edge of the bank itself. I have incandescent GI (and the Eli..) still in my game and even with the lighting in my place, I was gonna program my PIG2 to be WAY brighter when down because I want that illumination when it's down. If you're playing in the dark it would be more noticeable.

Alternatively, my only other idea is maybe you could always put a black strip under the decal itself, then put the decal on top of the strip if you just don't want that illumation at all while it's down, but don't have the PIG2. The decal as-is is only mildly translucent...the only place you can see any light at all coming through the decal is in the yellow traces, IMO. I expect it to be at ALL when I put it on there. That's why I've been bugging Brock for one printed on a transparent decal, lol. Differn't strokes and all that.

Again, kinda busy tonight, but when I get in there, I'll try and take some more pictures of it under various conditions...you can then decide for yourself or mod further from there. As I said before, only so much I can do on this, because I am not the one making the decals, and I don't feel like I have a better solution than what Brock made.. in a perfect world, I'd want to sell all three types of decals...the one he currently makes, a transparent one that allows a lot of light through, and a completely solid one, but I don't really have that option. =\

#25 9 years ago

Sounds like the pig2 w standard decal will give me what I want.....going to need it to modify some undercab lighting I'm trying to sort out anyway, so a win/ win....is the mod available yet?...thanks...mark

#26 9 years ago

And yes, DEFINITELY for SM too.....

#27 9 years ago

It's on Mezel's site, yes.

Modifying the pig2 to just turn it off when it's down is easy.... I'm probably going to need two PIG2's for my Tron by the time I get done. My current PIG2 is going to be controlling the light cycles, this mod, and the lit recognizer over the disc. I'm still going to add the light runner, my wife wants the light jet lit up somehow (I HAVE NO IDEA HOW THAT'S GONNA WORK...)...

I think what I'm going to do for my game is actually take that same input that this mod is using, have it turn OFF the lit recognizer when the bank is down. That way, I can turn up the light on the bank, have the decal really glow without all that downward orange light obscuring it. I put the led facing up in my recognizer but there's still a LOT of downward light from it. As far as I'm concerned, when the bank is down, Recognizer is complete, there's no reason for it to be on, it's done. It's all about the disc at that point. I just like the idea of having glowing traces somewhere on the playfield.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

It's on Mezel's site, yes.
Modifying the pig2 to just turn it off when it's down is easy.... I'm probably going to need two PIG2's for my Tron by the time I get done. My current PIG2 is going to be controlling the light cycles, this mod, and the lit recognizer over the disc. I'm still going to add the light runner, my wife wants the light jet lit up somehow (I HAVE NO IDEA HOW THAT'S GONNA WORK...)...
I think what I'm going to do for my game is actually take that same input that this mod is using, have it turn OFF the lit recognizer when the bank is down. That way, I can turn up the light on the bank, have the decal really glow without all that downward orange light obscuring it. I put the led facing up in my recognizer but there's still a LOT of downward light from it. As far as I'm concerned, when the bank is down, Recognizer is complete, there's no reason for it to be on, it's done. It's all about the disc at that point. I just like the idea of having glowing traces somewhere on the playfield.

Like the lane runners, too!!! You don't suppose there will be a Black Friday sale on pig 2's? ( hint)

#29 9 years ago

My Recognizer is controlled by the arm motor ( LE)....I'm just trying to sort out the undercab lighting I want:

Slow, alternating orange/ blue pulse in attract mode, then use an interactive kit for gameplay (Pinball Refinery or Rocks).....seems to be a difficult task....

#30 9 years ago

Yeah, undercab lighting will be the last thing I do, if I do it at all. Under my pins tends to be a bunch of crap...that's vaulable storage space when you only have like 940 sq ft. to work in 4 humans, 6 pinball machines, a jukebox, two full size desks, a 50" and a 45" TV, and everything else..

My recognizer is just on all the time right now.. too bright lol. I gotta get me some of those little z-connectors or 2-pin molex, so that if I ever have to pull out the playfield, I don't have to cut the zipties on all these mods!

#31 9 years ago

I am looking to carry the decals from pinball_customs so we have one stop shopping for this mod. I will talk to Mike about getting several PIG2s on hand also.

#32 9 years ago

Hmm... I wonder what we could do with the GI buddy to make a "Switch Buddy" so you don't need a whole PIG to make things turn on and off with a switch.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

The 3d printed one isn't perfectly flat on top, so I'm gonna keep an eye out for adhesion/durability issues as I play mine, will keep you guys posted, as well on if we get the transparency-printed one going. It's not included with the mod (at least for the time being), and I didn't want to step on Brock's toes by just going out and making my own design.. his is perfect already, but I did implement the PIG2 with it in mind that the decal would eventually be there and lighting up the decal.

I'm in talks with Tim, I'll send some decals down your way along with some transparent ones I just printed (not sure how those will look though).

- B

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from dkpinball:

Hmm... I wonder what we could do with the GI buddy to make a "Switch Buddy" so you don't need a whole PIG to make things turn on and off with a switch.

That would be cool, next week I am going to fit up a spiderman!

#35 9 years ago

*removed post because I'm not sure if I'm an idiot or not*

#36 9 years ago

Here it is on the light table (printed on clear vinyl). Hmmm.. not sure this will look right but I'll send some down anyway to play around with.

20141124_162433.jpg20141124_162433.jpg
#37 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

*removed post because I'm not sure if I'm an idiot or not*

I don't know if I am either...would a simpler PIG2 like board work?

#38 9 years ago

Mike is in a better position to answer this, skills wise, but personally, I would not want to be sinking a 12v current into the logic matrix or lamp matrix....I have no idea if it's safe, but I've managed to not blow anything up so far by sticking to that rule of thumb, so....until someone smarter than me says it's probably safe, I'm sticking with that practice.

The PIG2 isolates the 12v output from the input from the logic matrix switch, so I don't have to worry with it there. Short of the code and processor to run all the logic, I don't know how much cheaper Mike could make a "switch buddy" to do the same thing for a single switch without having all the fancy control stuff....just have it match the status of the logic.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from dkpinball:

But every Tron needs a PIG 2 anyways to do all the cool controlling of all the other stuff as well.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I would not want to be sinking a 12v current into the logic matrix or lamp matrix.

Yea, that's just asking for trouble.

Quoted from ChadH:

But every Tron needs a PIG 2 anyways to do all the cool controlling of all the other stuff as well.

Fact.

But then again, I have a hard time looking someone in the eye and telling them they need a Ferrari (yes, the PIG 2 is exactly like a Ferrari. If you own a PIG 2 all the chicks will come running) to go to the mailbox and back. I've been asked this question so many times I need to go find the part numbers and put them up on my web site. A Cherry DPST (Dual Pole Single Throw) switch would do the trick here too.

You replace the lower limit switch on the target bank (I'm assuming it has one, I haven't looked yet) with the DPST switch. You wire the switch matrix to one set of poles and then the light to the "Normally Closed" part of the second set of poles. What you'd get then is the switch matrix isolated from the lamp matrix - a single switch that controls the game switch and the lamp.

This would give you the ON/OFF on the lamps, but really, you've got an $8000 pinball machine, don't you want the lamps to pulse and flash?

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from dkpinball:

lower limit switch on the target bank (I'm assuming it has one, I haven't looked yet)

Yes, there are two switches that the bank triggers, one at upper limit and one at lower limit. My current install instructions make use of the lower limit switch.

1 month later
#42 9 years ago

Ours still looks great.

#43 9 years ago

Any pics with the transparent decal?

1 year later
#44 8 years ago

Does anyone have the PIG2 instruction set for this mod?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oxford, CT
Wanted
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Trade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-illuminated-drop-target-bank-by-mezelmods and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.