IMG_1092[1].JPG
IMG_1090[1].JPG
IMG_1089[1].JPG
IMG_1088[1].JPG
IMG_1087[1].JPG
IMG_1086[1].JPG
IMG_1085[1].JPG
#1 11 years ago

I noticed the other day on my machine that this post is getting bent over. I'm not sure if the post itself is bending or if it's pulling loose from the playfield. Either way, I think I'm going to need a more robust post, but I obviously don't want to change the diameter of the ring. Anyone else been down this road?

TRON_post.jpgTRON_post.jpg

#2 11 years ago

If post is bending, get a new one.

Get a Williams one, they seem stronger.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

Does setting coils to medium strength affect ever coil in the machine? I've never played with the setting but that may be in order as well if so.

#4 11 years ago

It it is just a wood screw post you can always drill through the playfield, put in a t-nut, and put in a threaded post.

edit: now that I think about it, with how close it is to the arcade scoop assembly there may not be enough room for that. I will have to take a look when i get home.

#5 11 years ago

I've got a first run Tron and don't have this post on mine. Something has obviously changed.

#6 11 years ago

Interesting. The picture is borrowed from Pinbits. See their extremely nice pop bumper kit?

I wasn't at my machine when I posted, and I had to dig for quite a while to find a picture that showed it. I took a quick look at mine last night, and while I didn't remove that post to find out if it was bent, it looks like it is just screwed into the wood. That plus you saying yours doesn't have it makes me think it is an afterthought.

I'm planning to look into daley's suggestion, hoping it will fit.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from daley:

It it is just a wood screw post you can always drill through the playfield, put in a t-nut, and put in a threaded post.
edit: now that I think about it, with how close it is to the arcade scoop assembly there may not be enough room for that. I will have to take a look when i get home.

I think a t-nut would fit fine, at least as far as the scoop is concerned - there are just 3 tabs securing it to the underneath of the playfield, two tabs on one side, one on the other.

I'm guessing the post is just loosening up in the hole, it happens every half year or so on my 24 on the post to the right of the spinner (left orbit)

#8 11 years ago

That post is on the LE's & Pro's AFAIK.

Pin - K

www.KimballsPinballs.com

#9 10 years ago

I took a look at this today. Here's a picture of the bent one in my machine, then after removing it. It's definitely bent, and it was pretty easy to straighten using tools, meaning it will bend again pretty easily. I'm pretty sure there's not room for a T-nut, but it's not the scoop that's in the way, it's due to the pop bumper bracket. Maybe LTG's right and the Williams one will be stronger.

IMG_6386.JPGIMG_6386.JPG IMG_6387.JPGIMG_6387.JPG

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Maybe LTG's right and the Williams one will be stronger.

M-A-Y-B-E Lloyds right??? Surely you jest! : )

#11 10 years ago

As much as I respect LTG's expertise, I don't take ANYONE's advice as gospel, especially when they are using a word like "seem". I try to think through the entire problem, weighing everyone's advice and trying to make the best decision about how to go about solving it. Most of the time, this does fall in line with LTG's recommendations.

The Williams part number is 02-3905, the Stern part number is 530-5004-00.

So, I started looking up posts, and Pinball Life has one to choose from:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=324
It doesn't say whether it's for Williams or Stern machines, but it uses the Stern part number.

BAA fails when searching for the Williams part number, but has this one for Stern:
http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MP-530-5004-00

Marco brings up two matches for the Williams part number, but when reading the details, it uses the part numbers as if they're interchangeable, and says 530-5004-00 replaces 02-3905. Both are out of stock, BTW.

I haven't called PBR yet.

So, I'm wondering what the difference between the two could be. The only things I can think of are different metal or a different mechanical design. How can I know if what I'm getting has the Williams magic or if it's just a re-badged Stern post?

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from u2sean:

I've got a first run Tron and don't have this post on mine. Something has obviously changed.

ya,
that's really strange they added that on the later runs. I never have the ball hang up there, why would they add that? i'm sure it changes gameplay.

#13 10 years ago

The reason I suspect is because on Tron's without that post, once completing the GEM shot, the ball has a higher tendancy to go SDTM.

#14 10 years ago

Mine doesn't have it either!

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

The reason I suspect is because on Tron's without that post, once completing the GEM shot, the ball has a higher tendancy to go SDTM.

If that's the reason they added it, it didn't work!

#16 10 years ago

I think this might be the fix.Are you able to drill into the playfield and put a nut on the underside?.I found the parts you will need at pinball life. My tron 3rd run is on its way,So i can't look myself.If there enough room for the nut under the playfield without it being in the way of something.Problem solved!.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=320

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=749

#17 10 years ago

I could see if its not there that the ball could get wedged inbetween the pop and the rubber next to it behind the scoop.. adding it tho, 9/10 my gem shot wants to go SDTM so it does nothing for fixing gem

2 weeks later
#18 10 years ago

Confirmed.It works

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinzzz:

I think this might be the fix.Are you able to drill into the playfield and put a nut on the underside?.I found the parts you will need at pinball life. My tron 3rd run is on its way,So i can't look myself.If there enough room for the nut under the playfield without it being in the way of something.Problem solved!.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=320
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=749

Quoted from Pinzzz:

Confirmed.It works

Really? That's awesome. I wouldn't have thought the nut would fit just by looking at it. Thanks for taking the initiative and doing this. You didn't happen to take a picture, did you?

#20 10 years ago

I did take pics.I did this on my NIB tron 3rd run.Before it had a bent post.

IMG_1081[1].JPGIMG_1081[1].JPG IMG_1082[1].JPGIMG_1082[1].JPG IMG_1083[1].JPGIMG_1083[1].JPG

#21 10 years ago

more

IMG_1084[2].JPGIMG_1084[2].JPG IMG_1085[1].JPGIMG_1085[1].JPG IMG_1086[1].JPGIMG_1086[1].JPG

#22 10 years ago

more

IMG_1087[1].JPGIMG_1087[1].JPG IMG_1088[1].JPGIMG_1088[1].JPG IMG_1089[1].JPGIMG_1089[1].JPG

#23 10 years ago

more

IMG_1090[1].JPGIMG_1090[1].JPG IMG_1092[1].JPGIMG_1092[1].JPG IMG_1093[1].JPGIMG_1093[1].JPG

#24 10 years ago

more

IMG_1094[1].JPGIMG_1094[1].JPG IMG_1095[1].JPGIMG_1095[1].JPG IMG_1096[1].JPGIMG_1096[1].JPG

#25 10 years ago

more

IMG_1097[1].JPGIMG_1097[1].JPG IMG_1098[1].JPGIMG_1098[1].JPG IMG_1099[1].JPGIMG_1099[1].JPG

#26 10 years ago

more
It took longer to upload the pics than it did to do the post job.

IMG_1100[1].JPGIMG_1100[1].JPG IMG_1101[1].JPGIMG_1101[1].JPG

#27 10 years ago

Also at pinballlife.com pickup one of these 1/4" spacers.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=357
I also used 3 metal washers 1 on top of playfield and 2 on bottom of playfield under the nuts.
I cant wait for the Eli ramp lighted wire to go into production.

#28 10 years ago

Sir, you have balls of steel taking a drill to a brand new playfield! Congrats on the mod/repair.

My Tron was from the very last run with the 3d backglass. I looked and the post is there, although I've never even noticed it before.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinzzz:

more
It took longer to upload the pics than it did to do the post job.

Nice fix and great pics!

#30 10 years ago

Bring on the next problem!.lol

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinzzz:

Also at pinballlife.com pickup one of these 1/4" spacers.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=357
I also used 3 metal washers 1 on top of playfield and 2 on bottom of playfield under the nuts.
I cant wait for the Eli ramp lighted wire to go into production.

Nice pictures...thanks for sharing

#32 10 years ago

Mines there and looks to have held up well after a few thousand games its a second run game

#33 10 years ago

Just took glass off and physically checked all good post nice and tight

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Charlotte, NC
$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-tron-post-between-pops-and-arcade-taking-a-beating and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.