Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,136 posts
  • 282 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MustangPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190318_175225274 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175228007 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175307198 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175405580 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2019-03-16-14-32-28 (resized).png
    BM66cab (resized).jpg
    IMG_3603 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3605 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3604 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3601 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3602 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3600 (resized).jpg
    industry titan (resized).png
    Screenshot_2018-05-06-17-53-06 (resized).png
    698F0DA8-4AB3-4602-862C-88E94EFA4BE3 (resized).jpeg
    nothing (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#121 7 years ago

Pinball cabs have been splitting corners for 80 years.

They used to arrive split all the time NIB from the distributor. We'd glue them up, and deploy them the next day. Never did we even dream of calling the local distributor.

Any game you get truly off route (not some pinball collector routing a few games, but routed by a real operator) has a 25% chance of having one of it's front corners split.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-restoration-vids-guide

94a1907a1e3695ca9c3e50d27aaae6e694c7a757 (resized).jpg94a1907a1e3695ca9c3e50d27aaae6e694c7a757 (resized).jpg

6b2165b4042329417db6a877cedbdbdb99507912 (resized).jpg6b2165b4042329417db6a877cedbdbdb99507912 (resized).jpg

corner-leg-nut (resized).jpgcorner-leg-nut (resized).jpg

#174 7 years ago

P-separationAnx-enHD-AR1 (resized).jpgP-separationAnx-enHD-AR1 (resized).jpg

#265 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

The same cheap labor is what is assembling LE/Premium games.
    Remember that when it comes time to choose your next NIB game.

You guys know that Stern does not make pinball cabs, right?

The cabs are made by CCC, the same company that made the Williams, Gottlieb, Classic Bally and Classic Stern cabs.

Same 3/4" plywood sides, same junky fiberboard bottoms......they have been in business for over 100 years

#269 7 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

This cabinet nonsense is just another reason to avoid NIB until they address these quality concerns with customers.

Yes, buy a 30 year old Williams game that I already re-glued 29 years ago.

#275 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'm guessing the glue or amount of glue has undergone changes.

Nothing has changed.

Hide glue is still safe, legal, smelly.

Simply remember, most old pinball cabs have already been re-glued long before you bought them.

#278 7 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Perhaps the assemblers at Stern / CCC are sniffing the glue instead of applying it?

I hope not, it smells like a horse's ass.

#287 7 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

And you know how a horses ass smells, how?

Heat up a pot of Hide Glue - you won't miss it.

dsc_0014 (resized).jpgdsc_0014 (resized).jpg

#307 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

I simply do not believe this. Show me the hundreds or LOTR, TSPP, RBION, AC/DC, IM, etc, etc cabinets splitting. You can't. They aren't doing this until just now. Sure maybe there is one or two from DROPPING THE GAME ON THAT CORNER, but this recent problem is not Pinball as usual.

Show me HUNDREDS (that would be more than 200) of KISS, GOT, Aerosmith that have split cabinets. You can't.

I would not be lying if I said that in my life of routing pins that I have probably glued 1000 corners.

Pinball cabs are the worst structural design for flex (think a shoebox with the lid off). They are made of the lightest weight SPF plywood to make them easy to route them in locations with stairs. They are garbage design that only needed to last the 3 years that the game was designed for.

You guys would have gone ass crazy back in the day when we would unbox some games and the bottoms were made of crappy Z-brick or wainscotting fiberboard. Stern and Williams would allow CCC to put any piece of crap panel on a game if it kept the lines running.

Yes, both of these are factory:

image-32 (resized).jpgimage-32 (resized).jpg
    image-61 (resized).jpgimage-61 (resized).jpg

#310 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Hey vid, did you ever have to re glue the corners on one of these cabinets?
    http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1918&picno=46538

No, we would have to MIG weld them, lol.

#316 7 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

I'm guessing at least half of the pinball community was never around when B/W games were still new so this is probably a shock to many.

This X1000

#317 7 years ago

Or how about when Williams would ship games that were 1/2 hardboard and half fiberboard?

That would get your guys panties in a bunch, yes?

Again, from the factory:

image-25 (resized).jpgimage-25 (resized).jpg

#319 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

What were these, $300 NIB?

$2300 at the time NIB.

Quoted from Pimp77:

You're talking about games from the ages of the dinosaurs!!!

Ah, the ignorance of youth......

#336 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Today's games are 3-10X the price

It's fun to think that, but in reality, a game that was $1800 NIB in 1978 would cost $7,000 in 2017 dollars.

https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=1800&year1=1978&year2=2017

#337 7 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

How is pinball exempt from lemon laws?

Because the Lemon Law concerns automobiles, and you still have to sue the company to get the buyback.

It's not like you drive the car back to the dealer and say "This is the 3rd time you've fixed this BMW door seal, you can pay me $68,000 now please...."

#448 7 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

When did mankind learn to interlock corners, probable ancient egypt or some shit.

Close.

The spindle-router-shaper that mills the wood edge was patented in 1933.

Lock-miter corner patent is 1951.

US1893080-0 (resized).pngUS1893080-0 (resized).png

#452 7 years ago

The strongest plywood joint is a Thru-Dovetail joint.

I say CCC offers Stern customers this as a $1000 upgrade, like they do when you order kitchen cabinets.

DOVE (resized).jpgDOVE (resized).jpg

#457 7 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

How much more work is involved in this compared to the current method?

The lock-miter requires 2 linear station "spindle-routers" for production.

The through Dovetail is done vertically by CNC.

Less operator work in the CNC, but the consumable bits are expensive, so it drives up the costs.

maxresdefxxault (resized).jpgmaxresdefxxault (resized).jpg

#459 7 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

The problem with dovetails especially with full length sides and the tru-dovetail is if the manufacturer !$@s up, it negates the strength of the joint.

The CNC software takes care of that nowadays.

Even resharpened bits (that now have slightly different diameter/geometry) are compensated for.

You set the tolerance (how tight or loose you want the joint) and away she goes.

My jaw drops when I see an 8 foot long dovetail joint that requires a rubber mallet to assemble!

#477 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Speaking of crappy construction, I've got my own problems here.

7 ball multi-ball is hard to cradle separate.

#520 7 years ago

The solution is now obvious:

>- Stern will have to stop using wrap around decals. -<

Cabinet corners have ALWAYS split (well, at least since the dawn of Pinball).

But now that the decals wrap around, even the slightest hairline movement will telegraph through the decal; splitting it and becoming **Pinside DecalGate**.

Stern even took the extra effort to change the cab joints from Lockmiter to Lockcap in order to move the seam off of the corner, but that only moves the seam, not preventing the movement of the joint.

It might be time to get rid of fragile decals altogether - and go back to silkscreen cabs.

#533 7 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I don't think wrapped decals would be an issue if the cabinets were not splitting and were instead made correctly.

It's wood.

Any joint is going to be where the movement is, especially on an open top wood box that weighs 250lbs and is being constantly thrust in every direction.

Even if I built the cab myself from Baltic Birch hardwood plywood, used Tightbond3 glue and Dovetail joints - I guarantee the joints would telegraph through those decals.

I'm not sure if it was Stern's design or CCC's, but decals over soft plywood joints is never going to last.

#534 7 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

That chip isn't pretty either good thing the lock down covers that.

That chip is serious.

I'd call Stern right now.

#541 7 years ago

With the old Lockmiter joint, the joint movement crack was right at the corner, so it was harder to see.

With the Capmiter joint, the joint movement crack is now obvious, because it's on a plane.

It does not take a degree in engineering to understand....

#542 7 years ago
    Quoted from fishbone:

If that were true Stern should have been well aware of that and never used wrap around decals in the first place.

Lots of poor design decisions in pinball.

Stern has kept that tradition alive.

#545 7 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Come on Vid! You should already know everyone on Pinside has a degree in engineering.

Yeah, I've noticed.

#558 7 years ago
    Quoted from daddyxxx:

My buddy gb decals don't wrap around....

Now if CCC could just use the old fashion LockMiter with those decals, Pinside could go back to bitching about code or clearcoat.

#567 7 years ago

Decals are crap.

#570 7 years ago
    Quoted from stoptap:

You have to get inside to operate it ?

6f07f0ad077fcf1bfc88c097e1587036 (resized).jpg6f07f0ad077fcf1bfc88c097e1587036 (resized).jpg

#626 7 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I don't think that you guys from pinside not buying from Stern will affect them a bit.

Exactly.

95% of all the pins I service, the owners are NOT on Pinside.

A few know that Pinside exists, but they have no interest in reading it.

0% of the coin-op guys read it. They are out there making money on their Keys and Cranes.

-

And before you guys say the above is BS, think about it:

99% of Canon camera owners are not on Canon forum.

99% of Stratocaster owners are not on Strat-talk

99% of Ford Mustang owners are not on Stangnet

#638 7 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

Why does a topic go on for 13 pages when the issue can be repaired with 50 cents worth of materials?

PINSIDE1 (resized).jpgPINSIDE1 (resized).jpg

#649 7 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Start prepissing and moaning now.

http://www.sternpinball.com/pre-pisser_army

Join Today!

STERN-PREPISSER (resized).jpgSTERN-PREPISSER (resized).jpg

#656 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Vid can you write up some suggestions formally to address this issue?
    Especially if the damage isnt too great and you want to reinforce the cabinet before its too late?
    Possibly something that non-carpenters can do at home?

A 1/2" #6 wood screw has a 41lb pull out strength when used in SPF plywood - so I don't think a common L bracket has enough jism to do battle against the 300+ pounds of force constantly applied to the corners.

Wood gusseting secured with a suitable glue would be many times stronger, but of course the problem is that the corners are already painted, preventing the glue from properly bonding with the wood fibers.

#678 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

But wouldn't using 2 or 3 #8 (for more grab) 1/2" on each side (L bracket with 2 or 3 holes on each side) be plenty of reinforcement?

#8 has 58lbs of pull out on SPF, so it would indeed be stronger, but I still think we are expecting too much.

The holes in the L would have to EXACTLY match the diameter of the screws; any play would fnck us.

When I do a load calculation, I like to go 4X; because nothing is going to be laboratory perfect in the field.

I'll look if there are any decking brackets that would have multiple staggered screw holes AND that would pull the 2 pieces towards each other (to help with any offset or play).

#682 7 years ago

Simpson Strong-Tie HL37PC Heavy Angle Powder Coated Black, these are rated for 900lbs

4285-3T.gif (resized).png4285-3T.gif (resized).png

#722 7 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

So, ideally see in person before buying.

Like they always say "Never buy a NIB without fully inspecting it".

#760 7 years ago

Yep, 3/4" might mound up on the other side.

#762 7 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

put it in the plate hole then tap the end of the nut driver with a hammer a few times to start the screw.

I like to use a cordless drill driver on high speed

The screw starts in about .5 seconds.

No hammer needed.

no-hammer (resized).jpgno-hammer (resized).jpg

#849 7 years ago

The high humidity in the laundry room keeps the static to a minimum.....

#858 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

what is the BEST solution for this? Interior brackets like others are doing?

Probably the best solution is to take a T-square and with a brand new razor, make a straight, clean cut through the decal, down the fault line.

That way, the cab joint can expand/contract with the seasons, nudging, or transporting the game - without a jagged tear through the decal.

-

If you can deform an interior bracket with a pair of pliers, it's not going to keep the seams from moving - that's for sure.

If the screws don't EXACTLY fit the bracket holes, it's not going to keep the seams from moving - that's for sure (It could make it worse by pulling apart the seam).

It's going to take a lot of little #6 or #8 screws to hold against many hundreds of pounds of force applied to that corner.

Remember a little sheet metal bracket might say it's rated to failure @200 lbs, but were not worried about outright failure, were worried about how many pounds of pressure will allow the bracket to deform 1mm - which is plenty enough to crack that seam.

#859 7 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

If you have a wire feed welder weld the gap where the two tabs meet. That's the weak point.

^this

And if your bracket is galvanized metal, weld OUTSIDE - you don't want to breathe those fumes in your garage.

#866 7 years ago
    Quoted from GGG:

Stern NEVER made them like they used to

Exactly.

Pinball cabs were never made by Stern, Williams or Bally.

They were made by cabinet companies like CCC, ESC or Lenc-Smith.

ccdinccc (resized).jpgccdinccc (resized).jpg

#878 7 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

I would probably go the old school route for brackets.

Make up some triangle wedges, glue them with PVA and staple them into to corners.

My concern is that the paint won't let the glue seep into the wood's pores, so it won't have very good strength.

#881 7 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

I don't think it'd be an issue .. the cabinets paint isn't thick, just a one coat blast. The staples would help too if put in skewed (45 degrees to the cabinet)
    rd

You could try it, but that paint looks very non-porous on mine.

Staples are only there to hold the position until the glue dries.

#966 7 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

How the heck did the bottom split???
    It has a glued corner brace

Sometimes you can't explain it.

This one only split at the bottom, and no amount of clamping force would close the gap again.

The thin, sheet metal corner bracket and #8 screws did nothing to stop the split.

I had to fill it with Fiberglass Resin

8f9dd2eb509129952fe7595a236dbf97225aee07 (resized).jpg8f9dd2eb509129952fe7595a236dbf97225aee07 (resized).jpg

#1024 7 years ago

It's Carpenter Bees!

kill-carpenter-bees (resized).jpgkill-carpenter-bees (resized).jpg

LarvaeInGalleries (resized).jpgLarvaeInGalleries (resized).jpg

Getting ate up by bees:

#1132 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballs:

Very sad to say, but I won't be buying any more NIB Sterns

Exactly.

Just quit buying them and there will be nothing to worry about.

#1284 7 years ago

Don't forget that epoxy is a weak glue on wood, especially on Spruce (that's what pinball cabs are made of).

Pinball cabs are already a weak design, so it's important to use a strong glue: Titebond III

epoxy-crap (resized).pngepoxy-crap (resized).png

1 week later
    #1344 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

To be fair he would also say some things that were done better now also.

Not using 2x8 floor joists was a big step forward.

You go into a quality house nowadays and there is no I-Beam in the center. No posts to block your billiard shots.

The I-Joists span from wall to wall.

40 foot span? No problem.

You can't do that with old 2x10 lumber framing ......

#1464 7 years ago

There is NO hardwood on any post 1970 pinball cabinet.

They are made from SPF plywood (all softwood).

#1508 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Well, surprise! You're already wrong. Jack told me personally that they've sold over 1000 Dialed In already, and they project selling 1000 more while those first 1000 are being build. So that's 2000 Dialed In at the BEGINNING.
    How would you like your crow served?

While I believe that they will sell ~1000 DIs, always remember that Jack says a lot of things that would be best described as exaggerated exuberance

#1521 6 years ago
    Quoted from knobstone:

I wanted to buy Ghostbusters, but personally I can not spend $7000 to $8000 on any product that have these kind of problems.

Don't buy it.

Pinball is a crappy, commercial product, that is not intended for the faint of heart nor those without decent mechanical repair skills.

When I do route repairs for operators, I see such terrible repair attempts that I wonder if kids today even know which way to turn a screw or which direction gravity works in their town.

Quoted from knobstone:

But when I have 7 Bally/Williams that are over thirty years with none of the issues that Stern is having with some of their current machines, that's a problem.

That's because you are forgetting that your 30+ year old games have already been serviced 100s of times before you got it.

The cab corners have certainly been reglued.

The regulators have been replaced with higher amp parts.

Guards have been added to MM and F14 to keep the balls from becoming stuck in many different places that were apparently unknown to the factory.

Fuses were added to magnets and rectifiers to keep the games from actually catching fire.

Fishpaper has been added to keep the coin door from shorting out the switch matrix.

Back in the day, we could NEVER just unbox a game on location and expect it to earn.

It would always have to "burn-in" at the shop for a day or so, be tweaked, repaired, fused, and then deployed.

#1647 6 years ago
    Quoted from CraigC:

How long before manufacturers go to metal cabinets like the head?

Negative 33 years.

wico_aftor1 (resized).jpgwico_aftor1 (resized).jpg

#1652 6 years ago
    Quoted from CraigC:

I think there was a Williams cabinet from the 60s also. but meaning going forward. if it was cheaper to do the shell of the head in metal, why not the cab? it could be constructed just like the head with a flat wood side panel attached with metal top underside and back.
    -c

You still need enough weight to keep the game from traveling.

Wood is heavy, cheap, it gets a small dent rather than a cave-in, it's field repairable, it's quiet - wood has a lot of advantages over metal.

#1656 6 years ago

The head is a big nothing.

Back during the 70s EM-SS transition, all us operators were waiting for when the head would shrink down (no longer needing room for all the score reels), but it never did.

Pinball was very conservative, the manufacturers were always worried about changing something and spooking the ops.

#1676 6 years ago

Forget about putting glue on the threads, I installed these brass inserts, and then used #12 machine screws.

When the North Korean nukes hit the coast, all that will be left with be my cockroaches and my unbroken wood joints.

117012-2T (resized).jpg117012-2T (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
    #1780 6 years ago

Even if Stern had those 25cent B/W brackets, it would still crack the same way (same as all the cracked B/W cabs I've fixed).

Six little #8 screws offer nothing as far as holding power in soft wood.

If I can bend that thin, sheet metal bracket with my hands, how is it going to protect a wood corner when I put 300-500lbs of torque on it?

How about when I put all the torque on it 20 times in a game?

"You can't place faith in material things,
    material things will fail you....."

#1787 6 years ago

Someone let me know when they see a run of AGC flipper assembly parts for things such plungers, pawls, and other correct assemblies as per factory game specifications.

For instance plungers are just steel rod with slot cut through it, and a hole bored into it. Anybody with a Lathe/Mill combo from Harbor Freight could make you 1,000 in a weekend. I've made plenty of custom ones at home, and I'm hardly a machinist.

If you have a need for small runs like that, look on https://100kgarages.com/ or https://CNCzone.com because this is exactly the kind of small production jobs these fabbers are looking for.

Any CNC metal, wood, plastic part can now be quickly fabricated, bent, welded, or machined.

#1794 6 years ago

Someone please let me know when they see a run of correct AGC flipper assembly parts for things such plungers, links, pawls,

I can state from industry experience as one of the responsible contracting/engineering US Army officers for management and manufacturing

If you are an engineer, then there can't be any mechanical pinball flipper part that you could not have quickly and inexpensively made in bulk.

Pinball parts are low tolerance, super simple mechs that mostly were designed before CAD or CNC.

The patents have all run out......

#1808 6 years ago
    Quoted from pindude80:

like whoever it was that kept saying the PF issues are fixed then more issues are reported, then he says the issues are now for sure fixed, more problems.

There will ALWAYS be problems with playfields.

Just like there are ALWAYS problems with auto paint.

They have made over ONE BILLION automobiles and there are still batches of bad paint.

3 weeks later
    #1865 6 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Oh fuck. It looked manlike the old games just went up in value

Old games were silkscreened right on the cabs.

No way they could tear.

Decals are crap, always.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-new-cabinets?tu=vid1900 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.