Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,136 posts
  • 282 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MustangPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190318_175225274 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175228007 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175307198 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175405580 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2019-03-16-14-32-28 (resized).png
    BM66cab (resized).jpg
    IMG_3603 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3605 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3604 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3601 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3602 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3600 (resized).jpg
    industry titan (resized).png
    Screenshot_2018-05-06-17-53-06 (resized).png
    698F0DA8-4AB3-4602-862C-88E94EFA4BE3 (resized).jpeg
    nothing (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daveh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from daddyxxx:

my question is....have the cabinet builds change?.

Well they removed about 40 pounds from games. Putting that in perspective, that is like removing the weight of a 4x8 sheet of half inch plywood. Granted, that's through the whole game. But yes, some stuff is thinner and less durable.

#80 7 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

40lbs since changing to the new backbox design or another 40lbs after the backbox design change?

An excellent question! So far the best I can find for the weight of Iron Man VE is 250 as well. But that is from IPDB, so it is suspect (just like the way their MSRP prices change over time). I might actually try to work out a way to weigh some games to figure out exactly the changes. Maybe I'll even pull the playfields and just measure the cabinets.

#81 7 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

I'm talking about Stern games, in response to a comment about Stern's weight. Games from another manufacturer 23 years ago weren't part of the conversation.
    Ghostbusters Premium 250 lbs for game, 280 lbs in box.

http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/games/ghostbusters/premium/1967/Ghostbusters_LE_web.pdf

Page 52 says you are wrong.

Weight 210 lbs

I'm not sure where you are getting your numbers, but they don't agree with what Stern says the game weighs.

#618 7 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

and honestly a part of me doesn't want to support a company that puts profits in front of quality

Every company puts profits in front of everything. Otherwise, the company would cease to exist. Even decisions that seem to put quality first are made for profit. Stern has simply tipped the scale a bit and gone far enough towards the profit side that profits are being impacted (all of that is just my opinion). The whole playfield issue? If they hadn't ghosted they would have increased profit. But I think the blowback from the cost cutting will eventually have a big impact on their bottom line. But I might be wrong. Maybe we prefer games that fall apart. We are certainly paying more for them.

#622 7 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I don't think that you guys from pinside not buying from Stern will affect them a bit. There are lots of people buying that don't know better or don't care and stern is raising their prices to astronomical levels that will make up for the losses in sales. Now only rich people can afford new Sterns and even used ones in a lot of cases. I believe that you guys can bitch, call Stern and complain or boycotts all you want and it won't hurt them much. I'm not gonna no to bash stern on these threads anymore as everyone knows how I feel and are probably sick of my opinions but that is how I see it. They will not change till their wallet starts getting thin and that hasn't happened yet because they keep raising prices for those that continue to buy and people who know no better.

I'm not sick of your opinion, it just differs from mine. You are saying the buyers of pinside are not a large enough group of pinball buyers to have any impact on Stern. I disagree. You can only raise the price so high before people find different things to do with their discretionary income. And I think this group is large enough to be felt by Sterns bottom line.

#677 7 years ago
    Quoted from tiesmasc:

based upon the below assumptions and pinside owner lists I'd guess pinside is 7-15%

Pinside owners lists are not accurate. People can list games they don't actually own. Others can (like me) choose to keep their collection list private.

#723 7 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

No doubt they will or already have made changes to manufacturing processes but I will treat this era like I would an old game.

Are you sure they changed the manufacturing process? I kept hearing that about the playfields, and yet there were still ghosted ones coming out of the factory.

1 week later
    #1109 7 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

That's the burden of buying HUO or NIB, brother. Don't sweat it. We've all been there.
    It will never stay 100 percent mint.
    These machines are made for entertainment and fun...don't beat yourself up. i honestly think your cab is fine. Enjoy the game, play the hell out of it... don't look back!

I love that time when a new game becomes... just one of your games. You stop babying it and just play the snot out of it. It gets dirty, shop it, and play on. Good times.

#1120 7 years ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

So cabinets splitting down the seams on a 3 year old game is normal?

Let me know how you interpreted that from what I said.

#1147 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

Personally I wouldn't have minded if Stern had moved on to other ventures back in 2008 when their back was to the wall.

A world without Tron? Bah.

But don't worry. Stern is moving in the direction of not being around long. They kept new pinball alive for years when others couldn't. And now they are cost cutting that goose until it dies.

1 week later
    #1300 7 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

J@@@s, what the f@@k is going on

We are in a laboratory experiment that is trying to determine how far cost cutting can go. Apparently the lab rats don't like the manufacturers cost savings provided by using less expensive playfield manufacturing, and they also don't like cabinetry that fails to function as a cabinet. So those need to go back up just above the "massive failure" point, and that's not cheap, so expect a price bump.

#1319 7 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

2. I ordered from a well known distributor, CoinTaker, as I know they will go to bat for me if there is an issue.

All crap aside, this is completely true. Cointaker will go to bat for you if there is an issue. They went to bat for me when I had a big issue in my last game. It took a while (Stern dragging their feet), but Cointaker got it done.

#1324 7 years ago
    Quoted from wtatumjr:

Stern having only one complaint is BS. I personally complained (in a nice way) about the joints on my AS then a week later when GB split.

I think that was said about Cointaker, not Stern.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

4. CoinTaker told me they have had 1 report of a customer with a split cabinet and it is getting replaced.

#1397 7 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Other than the pictures of split cabinets there isn't much in the way of facts in this thread, it worries me with my three less than a year old Stern pinball machines.
    1: Stern allegedly made their own cabinets for some period of time. I see no evidence to support this, i've watched pretty much every single factory video posted on facebook and youtube and I've been to the factory personally and there is zero evidence of in house cabinet making. In fact during the visit to stern they were definitely taking delivery of cabinets (this was last year during expo).
    If its true that they started making cabinets, please post evidence and dates.
    2: Stern then changed back to CGC cabinets. When and why? Please post evidence and dates.
    3: The pictures of split cabinets, what would be really useful is the date of manufacture which is on the serial number on the back. Which would help focus to either prove points 1 and 2 above or not.
    Stern aren't perfect and the play field issue wasn't great but lets try and help figure this out rather than just whinge about it.
    Thanks,
    Neil.

While having all the evidence and dates you're asking for would be nice, Stern never has (and likely never will) release this type of information. And they are the only people it could ever come from. There are all kinds of rumors for what went on where. FUN playfields, a second manufacturer of cabinets, in house cabinets (which would NEVER be in the same building because of the dust!). But the will make sure we never know the answer.

The best part? Stern knows the exact answer to where your defective parts came from. Did you have a ghosted playfield? Stern knows exactly where and when it was made. Defective cabinet? They know it's entire lifecycle. They are the only people with the real info to answer the questions.

#1418 7 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I agree Dave, but people here are making all sorts of nonsense claims about what stern did and when. it smells.

True, but when it's people like Lloyd, it was based on the information he had. When he says Stern was gearing up to do cabinets themselves, I take that as Stern was gearing up to do them in house. Stern may have changed course at some point, but he is one of the people I'd trust when he speaks.

#1427 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wakky:

Bloody annoying at most..
    Ok im going to list some pins by your abbreviations can you guess what they are?
    BR
    Ch
    Bf
    Lw
    Tftc
    Stpro
    Dd
    Eapm
    Ft
    Pz
    Doing your head in yet? Would be much easy and reader friendly just to say what they are instead of abbreviations...
    Only reason you say its been like this as people allowed it...

Relax son. The abbreviations work well. You will learn them in time.

#1522 7 years ago
    Quoted from ledge:

in the period 2001- 2012 THEY ALSO manufactured the most pins.... (WITH LESS ISSUES).

That depends on how you count issues. Does one bad playfield equal one bad hammer board in Metallica? Does a split cabinet count the same as needing an airball protector kit in Transformers? It's probably all the same number of issues as ever. It's just that the current ones are a bit more difficult to fix than install a new board, and a piece of plastic.

(And yes, even saying this I really want to buy AC/DC)

#1566 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

What's ridiculous is when people quote BM66 as $15k.

MSRP for a Premium is $8,599 -and you shouldn't be paying full MSRP as we all know.

You are just helping make the point that it was massively overpriced. The "Pro" of BM66 was listed at $8,599 MSRP. They can call it a Premium all day long, but it was a Pro.

2 weeks later
    #1708 6 years ago
    Quoted from daddyxxx:

My buddy jus got there new cab delivered from stern...open the box and its crack...kinda wild...that's some bad luck....

Have him get the date of manufacture of the back of the game. That's a really important data point now.

#1710 6 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Have him get the date of manufacture of the back of the game. That's a really important data point now.

I just read that again, looks like this is a replacement Ghostbusters cabinet. That would suck if this is the second one he received with issues.

1 week later
    #1820 6 years ago
    Quoted from ob1forever:

WTF!...WWE Pro huo.
    I just picked it up, and after reading up on this forum, i can't believe it.
    So a lot of people think this is not an issue....

The people that think it's not an issue are usually shills. People that will defend the wall no matter what Stern does.

That is the oldest game I've seen really showing the issue.

#1855 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

WWE was the first game that had peeling head decals, which were blamed on the wrong or bad glue or something like that.

Maybe I'm jaded, but I consider peeling head decals on the head to be fairly minor. Stern will send you out a new set. Most people don't even take the time to put them on (they should). It's nothing compared to a split cab.

2 months later
    #1950 6 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

It's a lot easier than you realize.

Some people are not comfortable doing mechanical work like this. And his point that he shouldn't have to, and that there is no upside is true. Personally I'd have started doing it immediately, because I agree with you, it's a pretty easy task. But not everyone works like that.

2 months later
    #2042 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

They're dirt cheap, relatively speaking. I would be really surprised if Stern started their junior programmers out at more than $60k/yr.

Cool, I wasn’t aware you could hire solid junior programmers so cheap. Usually I see the cost to be at least that for just the salary, and then you need to add benefits, and office space, recruiting, and all the other overhead costs.

I realize your just spreading the cost over the number of machines, but once we are doing that, aren’t we looking at the 10 bucks it would cost them to put rails on the playfield and stop people complaining about the pegs?

6 months later
    #2066 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

Wow. 4 thumbs down already. Sorry for providing facts, fellas. That DOES put a damper on your "sky is falling" party, I guess huh?

I made it 5 for it. Stern should have solved this long ago. It isn’t that the sky is falling, it’s that they keep cheapening things to the bare minimum. 2 out of 8 with split cabinets sucks. I guess it’s back to the Stern lottery. But hey, 80% chance your cabinet doesn’t split on the first weekend.

#2093 6 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

its all bullshit and there is no excuse for any of this garbage they are putting out! stern is raising prices every year by $100-$200. Gary stern just needs to stop the greed!

Take a closer look. The prices have been going up faster than that.

1 week later
    #2123 6 years ago
    Quoted from Kawydud:

Just so sad that they can't get the cabinet issue figured out.

In their current incarnation Stern has been building games for 20 years. They have it figured out. They figured out exactly how much of the cost they could remove from the cabinet to be the most cost effective straddle of the line between failure and just enough to function as a cabinet. Even with replacements it costs them less than if they built every cabinet solidly. And how do I know that? Because that is exactly how they continue to build them. It’s no mystery, it’s business.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daveh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-new-cabinets?tu=daveh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.