Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,136 posts
  • 282 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MustangPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190318_175225274 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175228007 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175307198 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175405580 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2019-03-16-14-32-28 (resized).png
    BM66cab (resized).jpg
    IMG_3603 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3605 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3604 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3601 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3602 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3600 (resized).jpg
    industry titan (resized).png
    Screenshot_2018-05-06-17-53-06 (resized).png
    698F0DA8-4AB3-4602-862C-88E94EFA4BE3 (resized).jpeg
    nothing (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chambahz.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1114 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rock914:

No! Right out of the box for me!!

Are you going any assistance from Stern, or your distributor?

#1242 7 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Hey Who-Dey just to let ya know you posted the same reply to me in another thread where I asking about Aerosmith code. Excellent reply, always thinking positive! Please keep bashing me over be hesitant to order a $5k-$8k game after 30+ reports of recently build games have cabinet problems.

Repeatedly announcing that you're "oh so close" to ordering a nib from Stern, if it weren't for (problem X), could be seen by some as passive aggressive.
    You get that, right?

Another another note, does anyone have a true count on the number of cracked cabinets that people have received?
    Is it really anywhere near 30?

#1271 7 years ago

If anyone's interested, I tallied about 15 cabinets reported from owners themselves, and another 7 Pinsiders reporting issues on routed machines.
    So seems as though we're looking at about 25 cases, according to the World of Pinside.

In my opinion, the most important thing is finding out if Stern will be correcting the issue. To me, receiving a split cabinet is simply unacceptable.

Having said that, we now have more than 25 pages of posts. We have multiple explanations of the problem, and suggestions that Stern doesn't care about the issue. We have an historic recollection that Stern pins have apparently always been of poor quality. We have multiple personal attacks, and we have insults aimed at anyone who might consider buying a NIB from Stern. We have multiple speculators pointing the finger directly at Stern for purposefully reducing the BOM in order to save $.

I would like to suggest to Robin and the moderators that when someone has a QC issue to report, that they pin the thread, and only have those experiencing the issue allowed to post ONE post only with the problem, and subsequent posts with any resolutions, or an update stating a lack thereof.

Enough with making a mountain out of a molehill. Let’s get facts listed properly. Let’s display how things are being handled by Stern. Let’s make it easy to see exactly how many people are having issues. Let’s reduce the back and forth arguing between people who most likely would enjoy playing pinball together. Let’s provide clear information, allowing people to make their own, informed decisions, and reduce the useless animosity -the worst thing about this site. Heck, it might even provide some helpful info to Stern, themselves!

For the record, I tallied the following Pinsiders as owners with issues (though truly, I think the vast majority of people on here have issues!):

daddyxxx
    Rasavage
    spida1a
    Msch
    Buzz
    thundergod76
    bellbrand
    Gov
    wtatumjr
    pindude80
    ragekage
    Spelink71
    Gryszzz (2014 build date)
    inhomearcades
    rock914

And I tallied the following people as having reported route games with issues:

daddyxxx: “two different people”
    TaylorVA
    Wolfmarsh “pictures of games on route”
    jar155 “personally seen several cabinets in person with the issue”
    T-800 “AS at a bowling alley”
    usandthem “Pinball Pete’s”
    Ed209 (8bit arcades)

#1273 7 years ago
    Quoted from thundergod76:

Why do I have a question mark after my name? LOL

Sorry bout that. I had marked it that way after reading your first post. Wasn't certain if you had a confirmed issue.
    Added your name though as it was later confirmed.

2 weeks later
    #1468 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Glue the screws in with titebond, it will firm up the wood around the threads.

Can you link a product and explain how to use it please?
    Do you just put it on the wood, and then pass the screw through it?

#1506 7 years ago

Stern has been 100% dependable with any issues I've ever had.
    Not always perfect, but always stepping up to the plate, sending replacement boards, or helpful advice to fix anything that wasn't 100%.
    I've had zero issues with my new ASLE. Love it.
    I have 4 other really good pinball friends nearby who own somewhere around 30+ recent Sterns.
    1 guy had a defective GB playfield ghost, which was recently replaced and now looks and works great.
    No other issues (aside from things like node boards that had to be replaced, etc). NONE, that come to mind.
    I had a JJP WoZ start smoking, shortly after unboxing it. They were great to refund me.
    I had an early Full Throttle with numerous issues, also refunded thankfully.
    One of my buddies has had numerous small issues with his Hobbit, most of which have been resolved.
    AMH? Two friends (both of whom love the game still), have had to fix things here and there.
    In short, pinball machines aren't always built perfectly.
    Stern manufactures the most pins BY FAR, so have more issues reported.

Those of you without a single modern Stern in your collection, chirping from the sidelines, come off like buffoons.
    I mean, no disrespect if you don't like their games, but if that's the case, why are you so preoccupied with reported issues?
    Nothing better to do? Seriously?

If you actually asked for current owners with issues, unresolved after contacting Stern directly, I expect this whole "Stern quality" concern would be put to rest. It sure as Hell wouldn't be multiple pages in length and I expect would be quite reasonable in numbers, given the number of pins that Stern sells and the numbers of parts on each machine.

My opinion anyway. But of course, you are all entitled to your own.

#1554 7 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

BM66 for $15K. Prices are just ridiculous period.

What's ridiculous is when people quote BM66 as $15k.

MSRP for a Premium is $8,599 -and you shouldn't be paying full MSRP as we all know.

#1573 7 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

You are just helping make the point that it was massively overpriced. The "Pro" of BM66 was listed at $8,599 MSRP. They can call it a Premium all day long, but it was a Pro.

The BM66 Premium has all the gameplay features that the LE and SLE models have, if I'm not mistaken.
    Pro models do not.
    If the turntable was missing, or the lcd wasn't there, this is a different argument.

I'm not arguing as to whether I think the game is worth the price they're charging. Until Lyman gets serious code into it, in my opinion, it's not.
    That said, it irks me when whiners complain that Batman costs $15k. There's not a single person on here would couldn't get a BM66 with all the play features for slightly more than half of the 15k quoted price.
    It's like saying that since some mega-star has an iPhone covered in diamonds worth $1,000,000 that iPhones are now $1,000,000.
    But hey, in typical Pinside fashion, if someone wants to make comments from the absolute most negative point of view available, why wouldn't they?

#1576 7 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

So, this one time I read something about cabinets separating and splitting...
    I think the cheerleaders' purpose was to derail this thread.

Why don't YOU tell us about your experience with splitting cabinets? You know, on any of the games that you've bought recently? You have lots to say on the subject. Any firsthand experience?
    I already summarized the actual number of Pinsiders with legit problems. Was approx 24-30.
    No issues seem to have been reported recently.

So maybe it's not the cheerleader derailing things on here, but the stone-thrower who furthers his own purpose (a reseller on pins, only one of which listed on his website is a newer Stern), by throwing jabs and trying to make this seem much worse than it really is?

#1603 7 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

You were saying for months, with absolutely no supporting evidence, that Stern had fixed everything with playfield issues last year ... every time new reports would flood in, you'd say that you'd been reliably informed that it had now been fixed and there would be no more.
    I don't think anyone with any semblance of common sense believed a word you said, but some who hadn't followed closely may have been fooled.
    You constantly tried to persuade people to place and keep orders for GB and other machines, assuring them that you knew everything was now fine. This went on for ages before you finally stopped. Plenty of people whose issues dated from that period, before, and after, are still waiting for resolution and replacement playfields.

You're a piece or work.
    I recommend you go back and re-read that thread. Check to see how many issues took place before my claim, and then how many were reported afterward. If you want me to summarize, it's "lots beforehand", then "A very, very few after the date". (I counted one in that thread but as I recall it was more like three reported, two from another thread perhaps)
    If you continue to believe that I just woke up one morning and decided to start ranting for no reason, you're ever more awesome than I think you are. So what should that tell you? I'll give you a hint: I wasn't just guessing. I'll leave it at that.

Here's something else for you to consider: I made a claim. I put exact exact details in that claim and then I put money on it.
    When I was proven wrong, I paid that money to Pinside.
    You on the other hand, have stated over and over again that Stern issues are due to: Soft wood, bad clearcoat, potentially a senior engineer leaving the company... I couldn't be bothered to read any more of your posts but suffice to say, you're absolutely clueless, throwing darts at a board. No idea why you're on a pinball forum, just doing your best to continually trash the leading manufacturer, every opportunity you get?
    In the end, neither of our posts helped anyone on Pinside. We were both wrong. The difference is, I tried to share information to help Pinsiders. Wish I hadn't, but what's done is done. I'm not claiming that the recent playfield issues don't exist, or that they're acceptable, either -but the ongoing comments (from both the cheerleaders and the nay-sayers) should just stop.

My suggestion continues to be this:
    If someone has a problem with a cracked cabinet, post it. Show pics, contact Stern and your distributor. Share the response.
    Share fix ideas. Share build dates. Share info.
    If you AREN'T experiencing issues first hand, then just shut it. Don't speculate. Don't cry that the sky is falling. Don't make issues worse than they really are. That's all.

FYI: the last cracked cabinet appears to have been reported approximately 3 weeks ago, correct? And the total number still seems to be the initial bunch, that were approximately 30, right?

So is this an ongoing issue? People are acting as though it is. Guess we'll have to wait and see for sure but no news is good news.

#1665 7 years ago
    Quoted from ExtremePinball:

I'll go so far as to disagree.
    I over tighten every damn one of my leg bolts and then glue them to stay that way. I also put rubber feet on the bottom of the legs causing as much strain & stress as possible to the cabinet corners. Then I let the general public beat the shit out of the games with no supervision, to the tune of up to 25,000 plays on at least one game, with others averaging 20,000 or so plays.
    Not a single split cabinet.....
    Yet. I just placed a brand new AS pro into the same lineup. After 3 weeks, no splitting. Let's see what happens.

I'd have to say, I think that a pin should be able to endure the type of "stress" that you've described.
    These ARE commercial-use machines after all, hence the price tag.

#1671 7 years ago
    Quoted from ledge:

does that commercial-use equal commercial quality ?

Yep. In my opinion it does.
    How could anyone think otherwise? We pay for a machine that comes with non-optional coin mechs.

2 weeks later
    #1720 6 years ago

I posted a summary of actual Pinsiders who had reported issues.
    That apparently makes me a Stern sympathizer and fan-boy.
    I prefer the term "realist".
    But thanks Maken.
    So would appear we have 1 more cabinet to add to the list.
    First one reported since the initial 24-30.

#1728 6 years ago
    Quoted from Maken:

Your upvote percentage is under 70. Mine is over 90. My post got 12 upvotes and your post got moderated for breaking pinside rules. Nice doing business with you.

Seriously? That's why you jump in to a thread like this? To throw a rock and garner some thumbs up from others, some of whom don't own any pins made later than the mid 80s?
    That actually makes sense to be honest. Can't really see any other logical reason.

#1757 6 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Calling 'em like I see 'em. This WoZ looks to have been on route for a while, but still is the worst cabinet separation I've seen on a modern era game.

Maybe that's the new $1 bill acceptor!

#1768 6 years ago
    Quoted from CubeSnake:

Stern should be embarrassed for releasing their garbage like this. I guess "Quality Isn't Job 1" over at Stern.

Riiiight. Or, like everyone else, they make mistakes.
    Nice to see that they replaced it with a free cab. Not sure what more you can ask for?

#1772 6 years ago
    Quoted from king-pin:

A decent build quality in the first place!

Oh? I'm curious as to which of your MANY, MANY Stern titles have had issues?
    Oh right. None. Cause you're a B/W fan and don't own a single Stern title.
    So once again, just someone blowing hot air, complaining about someone else's problems that they've had no issues with themselves, making the matter appear far worse than it really is.

I start becoming concerned when Stern owners complain about cabinets falling apart, and Stern doing nothing.

#1773 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Can you imagine the deal Stern would get if they ordered 10,000 of those Williams hd leg brackets. We're stuck buying them for $4.99 each + shipping. I got a better price cuz I bought 24 but still not as cheap as what Stern could get them for.

Seems to me as though it's not really the brackets that are the problem, it's the roughly 24-30 Pinside reported cabinets that are the issue. Fix those, and the existing brackets are likely good enough. At least, they've never been an issue on any of the Sterns that I've owned.

I did buy the B/W brackets for my new Aerosmith, just in case -but again, it's a band-aid solution. Cabinets that are properly built should mean not having to upgrade brackets in the first place.

#1801 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Those little brackets are cheap ass shit and you know it and yes the B/W brackets WOULD have kept the seams from flexing and splitting. Not to mention the maybe 3 threads for each bolt on the cheap brackets stripping out, the Williams braces have 6 threads. I know that being a fact cuz 2 of the stock plates on a HS I had had to be replaced because they were stripped. I replace all 4 plates with the HD ones and that game was solid as a rock when I sold it. I'll bet many people have stripped the threads on those cheap ass braces. The HD braces are the solution for both those problems.

I think you missed my point entirely. I agree that the Stern brackets aren't as strong as the B/W ones, but I'm not sure that this is the issue that's the concern.
    It's the 25+ cabinets that appear to have not been glued properly that's the issue. -and I would prefer to know that all their cabinets are manufactured properly moving forward, than to know that they've decided to simply use stronger cabinet brackets instead. Fix the problem, and you don't need to worry about the band-aid.
    On my first ACDC, I partially stripped the threads on one bracket because I tightened the bolt on that as hard as I could. -then I learned that's not what you do when you put the legs on. Since then, I've never had any issues as a result of the current brackets that they're using. So yes, they appear to be cheaper in quality, but also appear to do the job just fine.

#1805 6 years ago
    Quoted from pindude80:

...nor am I going to be like whoever it was that kept saying the PF issues are fixed then more issues are reported, then he says the issues are now for sure fixed, more problems. I listened to him, bought my GB then the PF had several issues.

Are you sure about that? That it was MY bad advice that lead you astray? If so, how would you go about explaining this post?

Quoted from pindude80:

Per Pat at Stern- playfield issues have been resolved. The GB they are running this week and next week have "the latest and greatest" playfield in them. They are the same PFs they are using as replacements for the LE customers that had problems. GB premium order placed by me today!!!

#1807 6 years ago

I don't think anyone would say there's only 25. But those are the ones that we know of.

#1835 6 years ago
    Quoted from ob1forever:

WTF!...WWE Pro huo.
    I just picked it up, and after reading up on this forum, i can't believe it.
    So a lot of people think this is not an issue....

So was there a previous owner that you bought it from, or are you the first owner?

2 months later
    #1951 6 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Some people are not comfortable doing mechanical work like this. And his point that he shouldn't have to, and that there is no upside is true. Personally I'd have started doing it immediately, because I agree with you, it's a pretty easy task. But not everyone works like that.

I agree 100%. If the pin was originally purchased fully built, then a replacement should come without assembly required.
    PW: have you contacted your distributor, or are they too far away to assist?
    Otherwise, perhaps a local Pinsiders would be willing to help out?
    One last thought: you might reach out to Stern and say that you will attempt to make the swap yourself, but you'd feel a lot better knowing that they will still back you in the event that any part is damaged for your efforts.
    IF they are in agreement, it's a great opportunity for you to try it yourself and become familiar with what's involved.
    I expect you might also receive pretty clear instructions if required.
    Just my two cents.

8 months later
    #2060 6 years ago
    Quoted from daddyxxx:

Ohhhhhh stern....

This is a photo from Allentown, where 2 Iron Maiden Pros had split cabinets.
    2 of approximately 8 Iron Maiden pins/demo units.

So far, nobody has provided any other examples.

#2062 6 years ago
    Quoted from daddyxxx:

Easy there bud....never said it was my photo...jus posting a pic of a crack cab....

Exactly. So you're fanning the flames without adding any context.
    VERY helpful. Thanks for your contribution.

#2064 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

This is a photo from Allentown, where 2 Iron Maiden Pros had split cabinets.
    2 of approximately 8 Iron Maiden pins/demo units.
    So far, nobody has provided any other examples.

Wow. 4 thumbs down already. Sorry for providing facts, fellas. That DOES put a damper on your "sky is falling" party, I guess huh?

#2074 6 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I made it 5 for it. Stern should have solved this long ago. It isn’t that the sky is falling, it’s that they keep cheapening things to the bare minimum. 2 out of 8 with split cabinets sucks. I guess it’s back to the Stern lottery. But hey, 80% chance your cabinet doesn’t split on the first weekend.

See, I completely disagree. It's not EVERY 2 out of 8 cabinets will have issues, it's ONLY 2 CABINETS HAVE HAD ISSUES (and yes, there were more than 2 that I saw).
    So given that they were side by side, would LOGIC dictate that its more likely the shipper banged them around (or something similar)? Like, of all the Iron Maiden Pros that have been received so far, don't you find it a LITTLE weird that they were right beside one another, on demo? If reports were spread out from different owners across the country and reported one week after another, it's harder to think that this is not a construction issue, and that maybe it IS quality. But SO FAR, that's not the case here.

I've said more than once in this and other threads: "let's all keep an eye and report back with any other reports of split cabinets". Until we see others,
    the result of this is that 2 buyers got a great deal on an Iron Maiden Pro demo unit, and I expect will get new cabinets sent to them by Stern.

#2109 6 years ago
    Quoted from Kawydud:

Here are better pics of the first game I setup. Looks like the start button side never got any glue to hold it together. While you can clearly see glue on the shooter lane side.

Pic 3 appears to have a good sized chunk missing.
    Wonder if something smacked this one, cracking the cab.
    It’s right near the corner, probably the best place to strike a cabinet if you wanted to crack it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chambahz.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-new-cabinets?tu=chambahz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.