• Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1766.jpg
pinball_machines_for_sale_001.JPG
#1 11 years ago

Hi I have a stargate and Im fixing it up when I bought it it was missing the rope light so I bought a new 1 and some spacers, I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to wire tie them to the glass.
theres 9 holes but the spaceres dont fit in the holes, and if I tie the rope to the spacer how am I supposed to tie them to the holes?? the holes aren't near the edge of the glass(plexie)whitch is square.how would you even tie the wire tie through the whole it would need to be a pretty long tie. its got me scrating my head could someone take a pic of theres or explane how this is done thanks . also is the rope light a gi or dose it flash during game play only? thanks in advance.

#2 11 years ago

no it flashes in attract mode if it does not then it is either wired backwards or the three resistors are burned out on the back of the board common problem

#3 11 years ago

here is what the resistors look like when they burn out

pinball_machines_for_sale_001.JPGpinball_machines_for_sale_001.JPG

#4 11 years ago

if your resistors have not been replaced I replaced my resistors with the white square ones the take the heat better i used 7W or 10W 3.3 resistors if i remember right

#5 11 years ago

To mount the rope light you need small white cable ties. Thread through the back of the mirror board, then through the white spacer, around the rope light, back through the spacer and then secure. The head on the cable tie is what holds each mount in place.

As jimster said, the resistors are important and normally blow out. If they do the light won't work. The rope light flashes in attract as well as in various modes in the game, most of the multiball modes. If your machine didn't have the old rope light (a common problem) you'll need to add wiring and connectors to get it into the harness.

viperrwk

#6 11 years ago

If you need pics hit me up and ill take some

#7 11 years ago

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think the wire ties I was using were to thin and the heads were not big enough and still fit through the holes in the glass. I tried bigger ones and they seem to work. It still seems like a strange way to do it.
And after checking my resistors were a little fried 1 wire was loose so I soldered it back on and its working I'll replace them as soon as possible. That back glass is lit up like a Christmas tree..
Thanks again.

#8 11 years ago

That machine has the prettiest backglass on any machine made just wish the game play was better the guards were cool too

8 months later
#9 10 years ago

My rope light recently stopped working. I replaced all three original resistors with the newer, beefier rectangular kind, but the rope light still doesn't work.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

My rope light recently stopped working. I replaced all three original resistors with the newer, beefier rectangular kind, but the rope light still doesn't work.

Rope light stops working for one of three reasons.

Bad resistors (since you changed assume this isn't the problem)
Bad driver transistor on the driver board - Q22 - replace with an IRL530
Bad rope light

Sadly, the last one is the most likely cause of the remaining two possibilities.

viperrwk

1 year later
#11 9 years ago

I purchased a new light rope from PB Resource without the connector. I am reading the above and trying to figure out if the light rope wires matter which way they are connected. It appears that they do.

There is a white grey green wire that goes through the resistors and the other wire. I created a new connector and plugged it in. In attract mode it turns on and stays on. I did not keep it on long enough to see if it starts turning on and off in attract mode.

Thanks for the assistance.

Michael

#12 9 years ago

It is (edit:mostly ) always on during attract mode. It's probably why the resistors are always burned up on them.
-Edit-It does briefly flash during attract mode.

#13 9 years ago

Thanks. So then if it is on when I plug it in, then it should hopefully work.

I am having a similar problem connecting the ties. I have solved this by putting the tie through as a described above but adding a second tie in the back that loops around the other tie so it can't come back through.

Thanks
Michael

IMG_1766.jpgIMG_1766.jpg

#14 9 years ago

You know, they do flash at one point during attract mode have you watched through the entire sequence?

#15 9 years ago

I have not watched the entire sequence. Once I attach the lights, I can test. If they do not, I wire nutted the wires so I can simply flip them and test again.Hopefully if they are wrong the first time, one sequence through will not ruin the lights or any of the electronics.

#16 9 years ago

They flash during attract mode when the sound comes on the first time. It looks good. Except for cleaning and changing some rubbers, I believe the game is now working 100%. Thanks for everyone's help! Thanks
Michael

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
3,975 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stargate-rope-light and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.