You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7042 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7040 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 9 months ago

FYI I don’t have any experience with fixing solid state games at all. I’ve done work to bring some old Williams EMs back to life, but that’s it.

The game works almost perfectly. I’ve upgraded all the playfield lights to Yoppsicles, and also installed RoyGBev’s new board with the 2021 code from Dick Hamill. Both are awesome upgrades.

The only thing I can’t get working is the light for the second A outlane in “mania”. When activated, it registers towards spelling SBM. It just won’t light up. I’ve ruled out the yoppsicle itself as the culprit.

Where should I look?

#2 9 months ago
Quoted from kinggroucho:

Where should I look?

In the manual.

J1-13 is the 'A' right out R.o (that's right outlane rollover)

the connector is on your lamp driver board lower left board in the head (under the mpu board)

pin 13 on j1 measure to the input on the yoppsicle with continuity on a meter make you you have it

if you follow the line on the schematic above (this is in your manual if you don't have one download it from ipdb)
pin 13 goes to Q20, so it's possible that SCR is blown out.

https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Bally/Stern#Controlled_Lamp_Problems

for more information

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3 9 months ago

Thanks slochar i do have continuity between the yoppsicle and q20. Does that rule anything out?

#4 9 months ago

Wiring is good so likely SCR q60 is bad... Replace.

#5 9 months ago

My seder on this type of fault is as follows:
* Ground the tab to the light to prove socket and bulb, (in this case Yoppsicle), are good
* Ground wire at board connector
* Reflow solder to pin
* Replace SCR.

#6 8 months ago

Also measure voltage on the common wire that should be done before replacing SCR

3 weeks later
#7 8 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

Also measure voltage on the common wire that should be done before replacing SCR

Hey slochar and BigAl56 i finally received new SCRs. I replaced the one at q60 on the lamp driver board and the outlane A still refuses to light.

I double checked that the yoppsicle itself is fine - it is. (I used a jumper on the neighboring inlane I.)

I double checked that I have continuity between yoppsicle and q20 on lamp board - I do.

What am I missing? What else could it be?

#8 8 months ago

When you jumped to the I, did you jump the chained wire or the wire to the SCR? Do you have voltage at the A?

#9 8 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

When you jumped to the I, did you jump the chained wire or the wire to the SCR? Do you have voltage at the A?

By chained wire you mean the braided bare wire right? I jumped the other wire, the one that goes to the SCR. And no I don’t seem to have voltage at the A.

#10 8 months ago

yes, the bare wire. That carries the lamp voltage to all the lamps.

If you jumped the grounding wire to the SCR and it worked, you must have had voltage on the A.

You have continuity all the way from the yoppsicle to the output of the SCR? I know you have it to the connector.

#11 8 months ago

Ouch, never test a switched lamp by jumpering from another. That's how you blow the SCR.
Always test by jumpering the lamp feed from ground. In most cases a clip lead attached from the metal frame will work fine.

#12 8 months ago

To be clear, this is what I did to try to answer your questions. I’m not very knowledgeable about this sort of stuff so maybe I did the wrong thing.

With the machine off I tested continuity between points B and Z - there is continuity there.

When I jumped the yoppsicle, I connected point B to point D while in the flashing light test mode. Yopp flashed too.

EDIT: Also I had replaced SCR Q60, which is not pictured.

Does that clarify anything?

BigAl56 I just saw your reply too. Did I just blow the SCR all over again?

IMG_7040 (resized).jpegIMG_7040 (resized).jpegIMG_7042 (resized).jpegIMG_7042 (resized).jpeg

#13 8 months ago

Leds do not overload SCR's. If you have continuity to all those points, something isn't turning on the SCR. Do you happen to have another lamp board you can try?

#14 8 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

Leds do not overload SCR's. If you have continuity to all those points, something isn't turning on the SCR. Do you happen to have another lamp board you can try?

A friend nearby has a SBM too. Only way for me to try another board is to convince him to let me use his. Otherwise, no.

#15 8 months ago

you have a Lost World listed in your collection, swap the lamp board from it

#16 8 months ago
Quoted from ODENONMYSIDE513:

you have a Lost World listed in your collection, swap the lamp board from it

Good call. Standby

#17 8 months ago

do you have a multi meter?

it is relatively easy to test a 2N5060 in the board with a meter.
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Testing_Lamp_Driver_SCRs
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Lamp_Driver_Board

as you have confirmed continuity of the wire to the lamp driver board, it's likely U3 is suspect.

next question would be do you have logic probe to test pin 4 of U3?

#18 8 months ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Testing_Lamp_Driver_SCRs
as you have confirmed continuity of the wire to the lamp driver board, it's likely U3 is suspect.

Quoted from Rikoshay:

i am learning a lot! i did just test a few of the SCRs per that pinwiki link. they all tested fine - except Q20. instead of being between .5 and .7, it read approx 1.5. should i replace Q20?

#19 8 months ago

I'm assuming you've got the hang of testing a transistor, and did check with the probes in both directions? so yes change it and report back.

#20 8 months ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

I'm assuming you've got the hang of testing a transistor, and did check with the probes in both directions? so yes change it and report back.

That’s a big assumption .

Despite my ineptitude, replacing q20 did the trick. I had the same issue on a playfield light on my Lost World and did the same process. Fixed on both. Thanks everyone for input!

#21 8 months ago

well done, glad it's fixed

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 169.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
$ 69.00
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/silverball-mania-mania-outlane-light-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.