(Topic ID: 47222)

RobT AFM restored AFM FINISHED video added !

By McCune

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 83 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Eskaybee
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AFM-Restored1.jpg
image.jpg
switch.PNG
IMG_3730.JPG
AFM_Beater9.JPG
AFM_Beater8.JPG
AFM-Beater6.jpg
AFM_Beater5.JPG
AFM_Beater4.JPG
Picture_006.jpg
AFM_Beater3.JPG
AFM_Beater2.JPG
AFM_Beater10.JPG
AFM_Beater1.JPG
There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

I have been working on a AFM for my friend RobT . I still have about a week or so left on the restoration before I deliver it down to California. Rob has been awesome to deal with!

This game was a expensive core game and a total junker . Take time and go though the pictures to get an idea of the extensive restoration this game is going though .

Enjoy and comments are welcome good or bad 8).

https://picasaweb.google.com/honda350r/RobAfmBefore?authkey=Gv1sRgCP7wkI2J4-6odw

Jim

#2 11 years ago

That is fantastic work you do! Congrats! Enjoy that Rob!

#4 11 years ago

beautiful job

what is it you use to clean the metal parts? (the stuff in the spray bottle)

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I have been working on a AFM for my friend RobT . I still have about a week or so left on the restoration before I deliver it down to California. Rob has been awesome to deal with!
This game was a expensive core game and a total junker . Take time and go though the pictures to get an idea of the extensive restoration this game is going though .
https://picasaweb.google.com/honda350r/RobAfmBefore?authkey=Gv1sRgCP7wkI2J4-6odw
Jim

Hi Jim,

As always very, very nice work. In addition to skill and great attention to detail you really have to have a ton of patience for these types of ground up restorations.

Gord

#6 11 years ago

Nice work as always, Looks and I'm sure plays better than new.

#8 11 years ago

Always enjoy seeing your work, thanks for sharing!

#9 11 years ago

Thanks for posting all those pics. Really helpful. I'm also wondering how you get those bigger metal parts looking new?

#10 11 years ago

I've really got a ton of enjoyment from watching the progress of this restoration. The transformation has been pretty amazing. There is actually a part of me that is disappointed that this process is nearing an end since it means that I won't be getting any more updates!

The involvement in the process, and deciding what mods to add, what color trim, etc. and getting feedback from Jim was something that I was looking forward to getting from the BHZA experience. Since that didn't seem to be working out, I bailed on that endeavor, got a refund, and applied it to this AFM restoration, and got the exact experience that I was looking for.

One of the things that I really love about this is the fact that this is an AFM that was saved from the grave. This thing was toast in a big way. It was not playable. Many people would never have given this a second look. Still hard to believe that it's the same pin.

AFM_Beater1.JPGAFM_Beater1.JPG AFM_Beater10.JPGAFM_Beater10.JPG AFM_Beater2.JPGAFM_Beater2.JPG AFM_Beater3.JPGAFM_Beater3.JPG

#11 11 years ago

Awesome work. Enjoyed the pics. That cabinet is as smooth as glass. Incredible.

#12 11 years ago

Awesome. I really wanted to give my old AFM the same treatment but it's in good hands. Rob, will your MM be next in line for restoration?

Did you change your mind on the black? I thought you were going chrome. I do love the black on AFM.

#13 11 years ago

Nice to see all the pics... Really shows the difference between before and after. Great job!!!!

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

This is awesome! I can't wait to play it. I know what your thinking rob, I know I know, you don't have to say it...

We are a fickle bunch, aren't we?! I'm looking forward to playing that sweet pin that you have coming to see if I change my mind on that one since I've only played routed ones in pretty poor shape.

Quoted from Spankey:

Awesome. I really wanted to give my old AFM the same treatment but it's in good hands. Rob, will your MM be next in line for restoration?
Did you change your mind on the black? I thought you were going chrome. I do love the black on AFM.

Good memory! Yes, I was planning on going chrome on this. One reason I was going to go chrome is that I didn't want to copy others who were doing black. In the end, though, I decided that it made more sense to just do what I thought looked best, not to mention that my MB will have chrome trim when it's restored.

So, no, MM is not next to be restored, MB will be next. Basically when the AFM is delivered, the MB will be picked up at the same time to get the same incredible treatment that the AFM did. My MB is much more in need of a restoration than my MM. That said, since MM is still one of my very favorite pins ever, the plan is to have it restored sometime next year.

#15 11 years ago

MB will be awesome. Doing custom painting on the monsters?

#16 11 years ago

wow came out nice, that was dirty as hell.

#17 11 years ago

Very nice work Mr McCune.
What is your process to filling the lock bar holes? Is it wood dowel,glue, then body filler?
I'd like to learn the correct way.The photo album skips this step.

#18 11 years ago

I should also note that the PF is a repro, and it was sent to Chris Hutchins at HEP for corrections, including sanding off a few layers of clear (these Mirco's were way too thick with clear) and re-clearing it. He previously posted some videos on YouTube of the process that I'm sure a lot of you saw. One of the AFM PFs was mine.

Quoted from Spankey:

MB will be awesome. Doing custom painting on the monsters?

Haven't got that far yet. Still just enjoying the AFM ride for now. But yeah, it seems like some of those custom painted monsters look pretty cool.

#19 11 years ago

Holy S%*t, I feel blessed with my core now. Beautiful Job guys

Picture_006.jpgPicture_006.jpg

#20 11 years ago

Why restore that, it's gorgeous and all original

#21 11 years ago

more "before" pics.

Got to love the use of the baling wire in the last pic.

AFM_Beater4.JPGAFM_Beater4.JPG AFM_Beater5.JPGAFM_Beater5.JPG AFM-Beater6.jpgAFM-Beater6.jpg AFM_Beater8.JPGAFM_Beater8.JPG AFM_Beater9.JPGAFM_Beater9.JPG

#22 11 years ago

looks fantastic Rob

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

looks fantastic Jim

Fixed it for ya.

Seriously, Jim deserves the credit for this thing looking like it does. I've just been along for the ride...and it's been a hell of a lot of fun.

#24 11 years ago

Props to you for saving one of the best

#25 11 years ago

Looks AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!

#26 11 years ago

what is it you use to clean the metal parts? (the stuff in the spray bottle)

Sprite! I use a degreaser called oil eater ,cheap and it works good .

What is your process to filling the lock bar holes? Is it wood dowel,glue, then body filler?

Pretty much .

Thanks for all the nice words ! This stuff is a ton of work .

IMG_3730.JPGIMG_3730.JPG

#27 11 years ago

so where did you find that pin ,Disney? Let me guess mickey himself did the initial repairs.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

so where did you find that pin ,Disney? Let me guess mickey himself did the initial repairs.

It is the worst pin I have seen. The good thing is, I have it almost totally rebuilt with lots of new parts . The game will be as good as new if not better .

#29 11 years ago

What did you do about the spot welded ball guides?

Do they make them all new now?

What is funny is that the first 2 pics that showed it relatively unfaded made me say, wow, much nicer than mine.

Then the rest of the pics made me realize how easy it is to make a game look good with a few pics.

Thanks for taking the time to show us all those pics.

Kenny

#30 11 years ago

The ball guides are replaced with the Bill Ung expansion hallway kit . Glad he made those .

#31 11 years ago

Incredible work Jim. Attention to detail is incredible. Cant wait to see it when you bring it to Rob's.

P.S. we can play ACDC to see who gets the crown of biggest blow hard fan boy!!!

#32 11 years ago

Awesome work Jim!

Congrats Rob, amazing transformation; the black armor looks great!

#33 11 years ago

Wow, looking really good!

#34 11 years ago

That looks amazing Jim. Do you have any idea how many hours you have into one of your restorations? Truly a labor of love. I will have to visit Rob and check it out!

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Pretty much .

Hmm wand

Quoted from McCune:Sprite! I use a degreaser called oil eater ,cheap and it works good .

Pretty much .

Hmm wander if I can find that in the uk

#36 11 years ago

Those are some UGLY martians.

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

P.S. we can play ACDC to see who gets the crown of biggest blow hard fan boy!!!

Ha, I have seen both your and Robs scores and can tell you I can't compete.

Quoted from SoCalPinballs:Do you have any idea how many hours you have into one of your restorations?

I guess 100 hours . I get better with each one ,I will have to set up a time clock and punch in and out to get a realistic time frame .

Quoted from GRB1959:

As always very, very nice work. In addition to skill and great attention to detail you really have to have a ton of patience for these types of ground up restorations.

Thanks Gordon !

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

This game was a expensive core game and a total junker

I swore a couple times when i saw a few of those pics. I couldn't help it.

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

I swore a couple times when i saw a few of those pics. I couldn't help it.

Me too, thankfully we have people from around the world help us with aftermarket parts to put these games back together !

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Me too, thankfully we have people from around the world help us with aftermarket parts to put these games back together !

No doubt about that. Even the most gifted restorers (Jim is one of them) would be up sh@t creek without the help of aftermarket parts. These games would be an absolute nightmare if you had to reproduce everything yourself. Anyway, nice work Jim – I’m sure Rob will be elated with that AFM.

#41 11 years ago

I like the big LED's and all the stove pipe wire. The core looks like it came from my local op. very creative cheapass fixes. Beautiful work Jim.

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Pretty much .

Did you spray this on the wires too while giving it a warmth scrub/bath? Seems like this is all you need to clean all parts (except for playfield).

-Rev

#43 11 years ago

What method are you using the clean the boards? How long do you have to let them dry before putting everything back together and are there any parts to avoid while cleaning?

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Jim

Looks damn nice, Jim. The one I did for Steve wasn't quite as bad as yours, but close. Some guys think you can save money by buying a total POS because it's getting restored anyway. What I've found is you spend more money replacing parts than if you would have started with a higher priced base game. I had to replace parts on Steve's I've never had to replace before.

I'd say Rob's gonna like it.

#45 11 years ago

Looks awesome! I was going to ask what type of time commitment this took, but see it's been answered above. I am honestly quite impressed with ~100 hours. To think that 3 weeks of full-time work could take a game from that to its present state is mind boggling.

#46 11 years ago

McCune,
If I have targets that do not have the black plastic hollow tubes along with the 2 rivets..do i have to look for an alternative replacement? I've been looking pinball online sites and can't seem to find them. Can I run a bolt and screw through them or will that short something?

-Rev

switch.PNGswitch.PNG

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from revmex:

If I have targets that do not have the black plastic hollow tubes

I would think the insulator tubes are very necessary for not only insulation but blade alignment as well.

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I would think the insulator tubes are very necessary for not only insulation but blade alignment as well.

i added a tiny bolt and screw small enough yet fit snug. however, thinking about it, it may pass electricity. i may look up "insulator tubes." I can't find those tiny things along with the rivets.

#49 11 years ago

you did not finish taking photos
excellent work
as you finished you did mine

image.jpgimage.jpg

#50 11 years ago

You need the tubes, or yes you can cause shorts.

Easiest thing is buy a leaf blade point stack, take it apart, and re-use the tubes in your switch.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=617

Something like this will work.

I don't know if you can find the tubes separately.

LTG : )

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 21.50
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/robt-afm-restore-progress-333-pictures-of-this-trashed-afm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.