(Topic ID: 12932)

Remove head or scrounge a friend's truck.

By Jobi

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

I'm about to embark on an 8 hour round trip drive to pick up a Diner. My station wagon has 29.25 inches of clearance. This is really close but not enough clearance to do it hinged.

My friend will lend me his pickup truck. It will burn a lot more fuel, the pin will be exposed to the outside, strapping on the slick bed may be a challenge, and I'm asking friend favors that I would prefer to save for another time. On the plus side, head removal is not necessary.

This page http://www.flippers.be/basics/101_remove_head_sys11.html makes it sound simple but says newer Sys11 games are a little tougher. Also wondering if i can slide the heac down without undoing the cables. I dont need much more clearance.

I removed the head on my Xenon when I got it and it wasnt too bug of a deal. Thoughts?

#2 12 years ago

I think it's probably worth the effort to remove the head. From the gas standpoint alone, using a lot of assumptions:

475 M * 2 / 30 MPG * 4 $PG = $120
475 M * 2 / 20 MPG * 4 $PG = $184

BTW, I'm guessing I can stop trying to contact the guy in Alexandria.

#3 12 years ago

I had to de-head my RBION to bring it home. It was a lot easier than I imagined. Just label all the connectors and you'll be good to go. The wires are already in the shape of where they need to go so when you put it back together everything will kind of fall into place.

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from pinb0t:

I had to de-head my RBION to bring it home. It was a lot easier than I imagined.

Good to know, thanks. I just know it's got to happen at some point.

#5 12 years ago
Quoted from Jobi:

Also wondering if i can slide the heac down without undoing the cables. I dont need much more clearance.

If you remove the hinge bolts, you should be able to gain an additional inch or so by moving the head forward slightly. Might be enough, maybe not.

The anxiety surrounding removing the head is usually about 2x greater than the trouble of actually doing it. I know that, yet I still suffer from that same anxiety. If you do end up doing it, it won't be that bad. Really.

#6 12 years ago

Honestly, my jeep had 30 inches clearance and I fit my cyclone.

I have removed a taxi backbox to move it before. The task seemed daunting at first, but once I took a cell phone picture of every connector I removed, it was easy. Took about 30mins to reassemble. And i'm a newbie.

I wouldn't dare moving it in the back of a pickup. Ask black rose for his pictures of this pinbot.

My advice: try fitting it in the wagon. If it doesn't fit, disconnect the head. It's really not too bad.

#7 12 years ago

Oh and if you label connectors (which you should), don't just write "j6" on it, for example. Which j6? the interconnect board, the cpu, etc. etc.

#8 12 years ago

Wagon it is. Thanks everyone

#9 12 years ago

Good luck Jobi. Safe travels.

Post pics when you get her up and running!

#10 12 years ago
Quoted from examiner:

The anxiety surrounding removing the head is usually about 2x greater than the trouble of actually doing it.

+1

#11 12 years ago

I've been there man, I've had to round up a truck on mulitiple occasions.. and renting is just TOO EXPENSIVE!! I ended up buying a Chevy Blazer which is capable of hauling 1 game at a time with the back seats folded flush to the ground. Its nice not having weather be a factor also being that the pin is completely inside the vehicle.

#12 12 years ago

After all the question, phone calls, and freaking out IT FITS WITH THE HEAD ON! Staying at a friend's tonight and setting up theGiven's BEAUIFUL Diner tomorrow. Woohoo!

#13 12 years ago

My father and I have removed the head on plenty of machines to the them safely home.

The machines include:
Stargate
Black Hole
Paragon
Harlem Globetrotters
Cactus Jack
Well, now that I think about it. All of our machines have been done that way.
We used Jeeps Grand Cherokees for most of the moves. We just had some cardboard for the machine to lay on and we put it between the cabinet and the head.
Everything stayed fine. We've had no problems doing it this way

Good luck to you!

Skrippyedit: Congrats! If it comes down to it, though. There should be no problems takeing the head off!

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

I have removed a taxi backbox to move it before. The task seemed daunting at first, but once I took a cell phone picture of every connector I removed, it was easy. Took about 30mins to reassemble. And i'm a newbie.
I wouldn't dare moving it in the back of a pickup. Ask Black Rose for his pictures of this pinbot.
My advice: try fitting it in the wagon. If it doesn't fit, disconnect the head. It's really not too bad.

+ 1 on the jeep....I own a jeep as well and it's the BEST pin moving vehicle out there. Granted you can only fit one at a time...but it's covered, perfectly snug, and the shocks dampen any road issues for a safely traveled pin. I have moved 6 pins...no issues.

#15 12 years ago
Quoted from Jobi:

After all the question, phone calls, and freaking out IT FITS WITH THE HEAD ON! Staying at a friend's tonight and setting up theGiven's BEAUIFUL Diner tomorrow. Woohoo!

I knew this would be the outcome.

#16 12 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

Blackbeard said:

I wouldn't dare moving it in the back of a pickup. Ask Black Rose for his pictures of this pinbot.
+ 1 on the jeep....I own a jeep as well and it's the BEST pin moving vehicle out there. Granted you can only fit one at a time...but it's covered, perfectly snug, and the shocks dampen any road issues for a safely traveled pin. I have moved 6 pins...no issues.

Ever try two? I've contemplated two if the were leaned up on the wheel wells. Almost like a "V" shape

#17 12 years ago

Just pull the head its not a biggie

#18 12 years ago

All the connectors are keyed. Just remove the head.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Boards
PinSound

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bartlett, IL
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Ann Arbor, MI
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/remove-head-or-scrounge-a-friends-truck and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.