(Topic ID: 203139)

No Cliify protector gonna save this ramp!!

By chad

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by GRB1959
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1658 (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    47d6306bf8b4760bed66083d5021ccdf53bb19b6 (resized).jpg
    DSC01635 (resized).JPG
    DSC01634 (resized).JPG
    DSC01633 (resized).JPG
    #1 6 years ago

Comet pinball I am fixing up and the customer wanted to know if I can fix this. Cliffy does not have any for Comet and looks like a stainless ball guide would be needed!
    I know they ran new ramps but no where to be found. Anyone ever dove into a ramp repair like this?
    Thanks in advance.

DSC01633 (resized).JPGDSC01633 (resized).JPG

DSC01634 (resized).JPGDSC01634 (resized).JPG

DSC01635 (resized).JPGDSC01635 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Looks like the sticker is still holding it together somewhat. Ramp looks trashed but if you have to you could do something like in the pic to make it functionable, i think freeplay40 was going to do some ramps for comet, i think one is being produced right now.

47d6306bf8b4760bed66083d5021ccdf53bb19b6 (resized).jpg47d6306bf8b4760bed66083d5021ccdf53bb19b6 (resized).jpg

#3 6 years ago

I've seen an old operator hack where they cut a section off of a random ramp, cut off the broken section of the ramp they needed, and glued on the transplanted section. It worked, but it wasn't pretty.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Other repair techniques:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-repair-this-ramp
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ramp-repair-advice-its-unobtanium#post-2504250

#4 6 years ago

I will be looking through old ramp protectors and see if any are long enough. I do have some old tom ramps . Maybe need to look into that transplant.
    Heck they did a human head transplant , plastic should be a lot easier...

Thanks!

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from crlush:

think freeplay40 was going to do some ramps for comet, i think one is being produced right now.

It sounded like production of new ramps was on hold for the time being until he recuperates.

[edit]: Also, it sounds like he can't accommodate ramps of that size yet:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freeplay40-ramps/page/34#post-4070296

#6 6 years ago

how about this beauty right here?...

IMG_1658 (resized).JPGIMG_1658 (resized).JPG

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

how about this beauty right here?...

Thats roached as the Pickers would say

#8 6 years ago

That Comet ramp might be repairable with some cleverly cut Lexan and a whole lot of Bondic.

I've used Bondic to fix ramps at posts/screw holes and it *Holds Up*. You have to be careful and work in very thin layers, but the stuff is no joke. Clean the hell out of the edges, remove dirt/oil/glue/paint/whatever, and leave the seams rough so the Bondic has something to grip into. If you do it right (it does take practice to know how much to use. hint: thin layers) you will end up with a stellar fix. And it's paintable and can be cut with a dremel or saw

#9 6 years ago

Never heard of Bondic. Order online or do tbe big box stores carry it?. Thanks

#10 6 years ago

I have seen it in MicroCenter and stores that carry Arduino/Maker type stuff. I’m sure you can get it from Amazon

#11 6 years ago

Thanks , I will look into it.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Thats roached as the Pickers would say

No, thats just "sweaty"....roached would be in several pieces...

#13 6 years ago

I found the Bondic on Amazon and ebay.

#14 6 years ago

I ended up using some 1/8" lexan cut and drilled and installed to the inside of the ramp using a 6-32 x 5/16 phillips pan head with an esn on the outside.. It fit nicely under the entrance rollunder without blocking it.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

I ended up using some 1/8" lexan cut and drilled and installed to the inside of the ramp using a 6-32 x 5/16 phillips pan head with an esn on the outside.. It fit nicely under the entrance rollunder without blocking it.

How about a photo of your masterpiece?

Gord

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-cliify-protector-gonna-save-this-ramp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.