(150 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

EatADickHazoff.jpg
StupidHazoffMBisbetterthanSTLE.jpg
SawyerSaysFYouHazoffjpg.jpg
no class.jpg
vader-kills-the-emperor-o.gif
There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 10 years ago

Hi,

I saw a comment in another thread comparing these two pins. I've played STLE quite a bit but have logged less than maybe 20 games on MB. My impression of MB is it's popular because it makes excellent use of an awesome theme but it wasn't mind-blowing. I don't feel I've played it enough to have an educated opinion and figured I'd reach out to those of you that do. Which pin do you prefer and why?

#2 10 years ago

I think some people like MB because it's the Bally Williams, or whatever that means.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from swf127:

Hi,
I saw a comment in another thread comparing these two pins. I've played STLE quite a bit but have logged less than maybe 20 games on MB. My impression of MB is it's popular because it makes excellent use of an awesome theme but it wasn't mind-blowing. I don't feel I've played it enough to have an educated opinion and figured I'd reach out to those of you that do. Which pin do you prefer and why?

What comment

I have STLE and am still choosing MB.

#4 10 years ago

I think, MB was a bit easy.

I voted STLE, have one so I'm biased, but all Stern for me, I have owned several B/W but I prefer Stern (might get razzed for that but there it is).

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I think, MB was a bit easy.
I voted STLE, have one so I'm biased, but all Stern for me, I have owned several B/W but I prefer Stern (might get razzed for that but there it is).

MB is easy, true story

#6 10 years ago

I have both they are awesome games but I think the real comparison should between STTNG and STLE I would give STTNG the edge although STLE has incredible lighting and is much harder to complete than STLE.

#7 10 years ago

lets make this a deathmatch.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

lets make this a deathmatch.

Dude no way, we need both!

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from AbacusMan:

I think some people like MB because it's the Bally Williams, or whatever that means.

It is also possible people have played the machine and like it; I know, crazy right?

MB, that one is easy for me. ST is a great game I'd like to own, but MB is a classic. A lot of the things LEs include are just not my thing. Laser cut side rails and things like that don;t do much for me persoanlly.

#10 10 years ago

Look, MB isn't for the "gotta have the hardest game that will continually challenge me for the next three years" crowd. There are people on Pinside that only like complicated modern rule sets, and games that provide a high level of challenge and ass kicking. They tend to wax on about AC/DC and Iron Man if you're having trouble spotting them.

And that's fine! Totally legit viewpoint. Probably the wrong game for them. (I'm generalizing, RobT is an Iron Man fanatic and he loves Monster Bash for instance.)

You just have to be careful that you don't let one group overly influence how you feel about games. If you belong to that crowd then maybe put more weight on like-minded people's thoughts. But there are lots of ways to own and appreciate games. I tend to like a balance personally. I own Star Trek Premium, not LE, but same diff. I think my next game will be Metallica, and I have Tron, I like fast and hard Sterns just fine. But I also appreciate the awesome theme and enjoyment that is Monster Bash (same reason I own Scared Stiff).

If after 20 games you don't find Monster Bash to be your thing then honestly it probably won't ever be. Trying to stack everything right is a challenge, but it's not a "hard" game with a ton of depth to be revealed, and frankly 20 games is more than enough to already be in love with the theme or not. I can hear the music while I type this.

#11 10 years ago

MB is one of my all time favorite games. Set up properly, it's very fun.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It is also possible people have played the machine and like it; I know, crazy right?
MB, that one is easy for me. ST is a great game I'd like to own, but MB is a classic. A lot of the things LEs include are just not my thing. Laser cut side rails and things like that don;t do much for me persoanlly.

I hear all always about the 'classic' pins and how the new ones never will be there. I mean 'Citizen Kane' is the best movie ever and never will be topped. Ok but I like watching 'The Avengers' or 'Pulp Fiction'. Of course those later movies are not gonna be 'Citizen Kane' or 'Casablanca' or 'The Godfather'. By this reasoning nothing will ever pass the oldies.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from WesleyCowan:

MB is one of my all time favorite games. Set up properly, it's very fun.

I'm sure MB would be the most played by casual players, like I have over my house, PotC is way more played than Tron.

Both games are swell I think.

#14 10 years ago

MB is good but nothing special when compared to the latest Stern offering's and once The Hobbit is released and a few more Sterns come out the top 4 B/W games will be dethroned and rightly so. I don't want the 90's joke based pin's to be the best anymore why would any of us? That means they are making crap, Ironman is so much better than MB to me anyway, the jokes and call outs in MB are tedious at best. If you own it and love it they great I love IJ4 and most pinsiders hate it, to each is own. However there is a B/W love club alive and well on pinside who just seem to want Stern to fail and nothing to be made that will ever topple the elite B/W pins, AFM, TAF, WW better than STLE no way. Check out the ratings, all ratings un filtered for STLE and you will see a certain select few who have given it a 1 or 2 out of 10 rating, I mean that's horse shit. I will take flack for this comment but I don't care, someone has to say it.

#15 10 years ago

Pick the one that has the most appealing theme to you. They both have blinkey lights, magnets, flippers, switches, and toys.

I think MB has better toys and I think ST has more combinations of switches to hit on order to score (read, deep ruleset)

ST is faster and harder. Audio is better quality as is the lightshow. You can work on MB boards if you have problems. Not ST unless you have very specialized equipment.

It all comes doem to preference.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If after 20 games you don't find Monster Bash to be your thing then honestly it probably won't ever be.

Potentially true.. My tastes run the gamut so I like to have different pins with different styles together. Trying to balance a collection is harder than I would have expected a priori. I just like to clock in 50+ games on a machine before I form an opinion even though I'm not a "rule depth is critical" kind of guy. I think that EBD and MA are both rockin' games and their rule sets are simple.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

MB is good but nothing special when compared to the latest Stern offering's and once The Hobbit is released and a few more Sterns come out the top 4 B/W games will be dethroned and rightly so. I don't want the 90's joke based pin's to be the best anymore why would any of us? That means they are making crap, Ironman is so much better than MB to me anyway, the jokes and call outs in MB are tedious at best. If you own it and love it they great I love IJ4 and most pinsiders hate it, to each is own. However there is a B/W love club alive and well on pinside who just seem to want Stern to fail and nothing to be made that will ever topple the elite B/W pins, AFM, TAF, WW better than STLE no way. Check out the ratings, all ratings un filtered for STLE and you will see a certain select few who have given it a 1 or 2 out of 10 rating, I mean that's horse shit. I will take flack for this comment but I don't care, someone has to say it.

Dude you could easily interchange B/W and Stern in your posts and make your case for the Stern fan club. Your distaste for B/W is just as evident as others love for them. It actually is possible to LOVE both. They are not mutually exclusive dude.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

However there is a B/W love club alive and well on pinside who just seem to want Stern to fail and nothing to be made that will ever topple the elite B/W pins

Quoted from MinusWorlds:

It actually is possible to LOVE both. They are not mutually exclusive dude.

I don't care who makes what. Anything you build needs to stand on it's own. Those types of biases aren't useful, I agree.

Quoted from jwo825:

Pick the one that has the most appealing theme to you.

Quoted from jwo825:

I think MB has better toys and I think ST has more combinations of switches to hit on order to score (read, deep ruleset)

Thanks for the feedback.. I didn't think the ruleset of ST was that deep but maybe I just haven't dug into it enough. Knowing next to nothing about MB, I should go find a good review of the game and rules.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Dude you could easily interchange B/W and Stern in your posts and make your case for the Stern fan club. Your distaste for B/W is just as evident as others love for them. It actually is possible to LOVE both. They are not mutually exclusive dude.

First of all never call me dude, I do love B/W and Stern I am 100% un biased. If there are Stern lovers in the same realm as B/W then please show me the threads. You can't say anything regarding those top B/W games without be attacked. You are case and point. I treat pinball like all games in that as much as I loved 80's consoles and the first playstation, Xbox etc. They don't compare anymore.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from swf127:

Thanks for the feedback.. I didn't think the ruleset of ST was that deep but maybe I just haven't dug into it enough. Knowing next to nothing about MB, I should go find a good review of the game and rules.

A lot of people I know hate MB because they think it's too easy. I like it. I'm also a fan of the 90's humor that is often ridiculed.I am one of the B/W fans. There is just something about the flipper feel and the solid feel of the cab that I really like. I don't dislike Stern games, but The machines just seem really light to me and they are a lot more shaky. I really don't like nudging and shaking while i'm playing, though. I would not be opposed to buying a new Stern, but I do not currently like the themes they are releasing. I got into owning after IM, SM and TRON. If the Walking Dead does come and has good art and play, i will most definitely be a (modern) Stern owner as well.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

First of all never call me dude, I do love B/W and Stern I am 100% un biased. If there are Stern lovers in the same realm as B/W then please show me the threads. You can't say anything regarding those top B/W games without be attacked. You are case and point. I treat pinball like all games in that as much as I loved 80's consoles and the first playstation, Xbox etc. They don't compare anymore.

Dude, I like both games, would probably go StarTrek though.

#22 10 years ago

I find star trek boring. Lack of voice callouts is pathetic. I would rather have MB all day long.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

First of all never call me dude

Sorry I misspelled douche. That better?

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I hear all always about the 'classic' pins and how the new ones never will be there.

That's fine, but that isn;t me saying it. I totally agree with what you're saying; I like all types of games. Between these twos I would just rather have a MB. MM is a classic for sure, but I'd rather own/play a Tron (monies excluded).

Quoted from MinusWorlds:

That was actually pretty funny Dude.

#25 10 years ago

I own STLE, but I think the jury is out while we await the new code. It has the potential to be a great game, but it is not there just yet. I am placing my faith in SR, however, to see this thing through.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Part dude, part touche but stronger than both! (We need an Underworld pin now)

#27 10 years ago

MB all day long. It's a classic and beloved for a reason. It's the whole package - great characters, art, voices, personality, toys, gameplay, cool light shows, great DMD animation (now in color), awesome music, Lyman code. Is it a bit easy? Sure, it can be. Make it steeper, open up the outlanes, reduce/turn off ball save....all games have ways to adjust the challenge to sync with the code/content.

For the record, I own both.

And Hazoff...sup, dude!

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I do love B/W and Stern I am 100% un biased.

Dude ... You are the definition of biased. You go out of your way to shit on B/W every chance you get, even in threads where that's not the topic.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from NathanP:

I find Star Trek boring. Lack of voice callouts is pathetic. I would rather have MB all day long.

Pathetic? I mean, we're all waiting, patiently or otherwise, for the big code update, but they recorded hours of Karl Urban custom audio, that's pretty bad ass, hardly pathetic. Yes, Stern releasing games and then finishing them later sucks, no argument here, but it is what it is. We're comparing a classic with one of the best done themes in the history of pinball against a game that's frankly not even finished yet.

#30 10 years ago

I prefer MB as it's a fun game, and the humor resonates with me. Yes, it's not the hardest game in the world, but the rule set is not the simplest either. Great theme, playfield layout and the fun rules spiced up with great humor make it a great game

There's nothing wrong with ST, and if I was only driven by fast balls and complex rules alone I would probably prefer it over MB. But as a whole, ST does not compare to MB in my books

Oh, and added bonus for MB for being one of the last pinballs from B/W

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Check out the ratings, all ratings un filtered for STLE and you will see a certain select few who have given it a 1 or 2 out of 10 rating, I mean that's horse shit.

I am not a STLE bobo, but I agree that a 1 or 2 out of 10 on the game is a bit ridiculous. On the flip side though, I find giving STLE perfect 10's across the board almost just as absurd. Perfect 10's, really? So there is nothing, not one thing you would change on that game at all? If you say no, you are kidding yourself just like the 1's and 2's people are. If it's a 10 right now, I wouldn't download the next code update when it happens then cause it's perfect as is right? When the Karl Urban speech pack comes out would that make the STLE an 11 out of 10?

#32 10 years ago

MB has gotten some serious love in the past 30 minutes. Thanks for your vote (and opinions). Keep 'em coming!

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Pathetic? I mean, we're all waiting, patiently or otherwise, for the big code update, but they recorded hours of Karl Urban custom audio, that's pretty bad ass, hardly pathetic. Yes, Stern releasing games and then finishing them later sucks, no argument here, but it is what it is. We're comparing a classic with one of the best done themes in the history of pinball against a game that's frankly not even finished yet.

Too bad Urban couldnt get a few sound bites from some of his fellow co-stars, Checkov especially would be an excellent addition.

MB is kinda corny humor but enjoyable, the diversity of games is always a good thing.

Remember when this dude was betrayed by his underling?

vader-kills-the-emperor-o.gifvader-kills-the-emperor-o.gif

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from swf127:

MB has gotten some serious love in the past 30 minutes. Thanks for your vote (and opinions). Keep 'em coming!

Course it did, it's got John Holmes staying power!!!

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I find giving STLE perfect 10's across the board almost just as absurd.

Yeah for real. An unfinished game being a 10...talk aboot horse shit. Although the lack of humour in it probably gives it a nice boost.

#36 10 years ago

MB should be the clear winner here as it has FINISHED code. STLE is still too new. Which plays better? STLE all day. Which is more fun? MB easily. Has so much to offer; from cool call outs, to cool toys, to cool dmd, and an approachable ruleset to compliment it. STLE is all over the place; plays tremendous, feels good with its flow, sounds are great, warp ramp is overly addicting. The problem with STLE is it's current ruleset is stale which doesn't give it that last ability factor. Give STLE a few months. Once it's code is updated and polished, I'm sure it'll be a force to be reckoned with.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

STLE is all over the place; plays tremendous, feels good with its flow, sounds are great, warp ramp is overly addicting. The problem with STLE is it's current ruleset is stale which doesn't give it that last ability factor.

I agree with this. I think the game play is great but I agree the rule set seems a little stale.. I think part of the problem is I've never dug into them in detail, but there doesn't seem to be enough of a difference between the modes for them to feel different.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from swf127:

I agree with this. I think the game play is great but I agree the rule set seems a little stale.. I think part of the problem is I've never dug into them in detail, but there doesn't seem to be enough of a difference between the modes for them to feel different.

Level 2 and 3 is where the differences are. The nice thing is, you're not obligated to do all Level 1's first - even though most seem to take this route. Try to play thru all 3 episodes of one mode before doing the others....they feel pretty different.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from swf127:

I think that EBD and MA are both rockin' games and their rule sets are simple.

Mario Andretti? Just checking, as I don't see that game referenced very often!

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The nice thing is, you're not obligated to do all Level 1's first - even though most seem to take this route.

Ahhh I did not know that. Thanks for the tip I'll try it that way next time i play.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'll wait and see if the ST update improves the game. I remain skeptical based on the sparse playfield. Current modes are fungible and feel tedious like the proverbial "chopping wood." I agree that finished code is a good thing, and many great games got that way through code updates (WPT, WOZ, LOTR, etc.) We'll see what happens when it happens, I guess.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Level 2 and 3 is where the differences are. The nice thing is, you're not obligated to do all Level 1's first - even though most seem to take this route. Try to play thru all 3 episodes of one mode before doing the others....they feel pretty different.

Probably because everyone wants to get the "Captain's Chair" like me

#43 10 years ago

I don't get the love for MB. I saw pretty much everything in the game the first time I played it. It's funny, yes. Cool toys, check. Longevity is a big zero. It gets boring after 10 plays. ST wins this easy for me.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Mario Andretti? Just checking, as I don't see that game referenced very often!

I was talking about Mousin' Around. I've logged a few games on Mario Andretti and it seemed pretty good.

#45 10 years ago

It's not just modes that need help on ST, it's multiballs. All of them are "shoot every shot once/twice." And ST really needs more earnable extra balls. One of the great rewards of the 90's games like MB, STTNG, IJ, TZ, was earning extra balls, and they would have several ways to earn them. Stern has traditionally been on the stingy side when it comes to EB's (took an act of God to get it into Tron Pro).

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Check out the ratings, all ratings un filtered for STLE and you will see a certain select few who have given it a 1 or 2 out of 10 rating, I mean that's horse shit. I will take flack for this comment but I don't care, someone has to say it.

Ratings aren't really worth getting that worked up over. We all know they are heavily biased at the least and also know there are more than a fair share of pure manipulation ratings out there. I like that we have ratings, but use them with a grain of salt when making any assumption on a pin.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

And ST really needs more earnable extra balls.

It already has two, not sure it really needs a whole lot more than that.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

It's not just modes that need help on ST, it's multiballs. All of them are "shoot every shot once/twice." And ST really needs more earnable extra balls. One of the great rewards of the 90's games like MB, STTNG, IJ, TZ, was earning extra balls, and they would have several ways to earn them. Stern has traditionally been on the stingy side when it comes to EB's (took an act of God to get it into Tron Pro).

Klingon mb is pretty bad ass. Lighting effects, call outs, music, etc... Have you got the double JP or super JP on it? I doubt many have , at least consistently. The only drawback in the current code is the super JP awards a measly 1.8 mil give or take (double if combo'd).

As for vengeance mb; left/right ramp combo'd into the vengeance which launches the ball back at you twice as fast with a cool sound effect. Another great mb.

Now kobayashi mb; I agree with you. Hit each shot twice; but they take it a step further, first shot is a fixed value and the second shot points is based on how well you did on its relative level 1 mission. But overall kobayashi mb is a fairly non dramatic anti-climatic mb, but has a great players ruleset based on it since it corralates to the level 1 mission success.

As for ebs; this is personal preference. I used to love games that were generous with ebs, now that I'm a better player, I'd like to see one mediocre eb (i.e. 8 warps as it is now) and one difficult eb (high # of combos?). After that , the home owner can set points and/or special to eb if needed. So I think it's a non issue for the most part in lots of stern games. TRON is a fast playing pin with fast rules, ebs should be more for extremely deep games like LoTR and TSPP.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I don't get the love for MB. I saw pretty much everything in the game the first time I played it. It's funny, yes. Cool toys, check. Longevity is a big zero. It gets boring after 10 plays. ST wins this easy for me.

Assume that most pinball owners aren't great players. MB is perfect for the casual pinball fan. Great theme/art/sound. Easy to understand rules. It's the Wii of pinball. Nothin' wrong with that!

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Dude no way, we need both!

I meant a deathmatch as far as a "vs." thread goes. Settle it, once and for all.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

9,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Arlington, VA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 75.00
6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Encinitas, CA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/monster-bash-vs-stle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.