• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Numérisation_20170823 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Hello pinside's community !
I think i have a problem on my lord of the ring pinball machine but i'm not sure ... when i play a game , all seems to be ok . no error on start.when i put my pinball machine on test mode , it says that all is ok BUT when i test switches with the switch test diagnosis , there's a lot of switches that register twice when i hold them : for example , when i push the switch number 9 , i hear a sound and on the dmd screen i can see the switch registering but when i release it it register again. like if i have pressed two times this switch.. I attached an image and i marked switches that have this problem.
any help would be appreciate!
thanks
PS:sorry for my bad english

Numérisation_20170823 (resized).jpgNumérisation_20170823 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Does this happen when testing the switch with a ball, testing with your finger, or testing with something else?

If you disconnect the playfield and test the switch matrix using jumpers do you still get the error?

6 months later
#3 6 years ago

Hi , sorry for the delay.
I did what you told me .
it happens when i test the switch with a ball , finger...
it also happens when i disconnect the playfield and test the switch matrix using jumpers.
so i think it is not a switch / playfield problem...

#4 6 years ago

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sega/Stern_White_Star_Repair#Switch_problems

It looks like only your optical switches on the matrix are malfunctioning but I don't know what might cause that. Low voltage maybe?
cfh might be able to suggest something.

#5 6 years ago

it is not just optical switches because classical switches does the same.

if you look at the matrix that I posted earlier, we can see all the switches in color that have this problem.

another idea ?

#6 6 years ago

Power off and try reseating the connectors on the driver board.

1 week later
#7 6 years ago

Hi all , i tried to reseat all connectors and it is the same problem .

can anyone who have a lotr can try with his pinball if it does the same or not ?

another pinsider have contacted PM me to see if i have a solution because he have the same problem with his lotr .

another idea ?

regards.

#8 6 years ago

I know i posted in this thread but i did not realize it was 7 months old!!!???
To the OP are you stating it worked before and now its having other issues??I'm lost

#9 6 years ago

I took a long time to fully restore the pinball, so that's why I put a little time to perform the tests.
Since I bought it, it has always had this problem. I do not think it's normal operation and knowing no one with the same pinball, I can not test if it does the same thing.

#10 6 years ago

I would post your question in regards to if that's normal in the LOTR club thread. Possible it's a board problem, but would be unlike any I have ever seen on the switch matrix.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club

#11 6 years ago

It's very possible that the previous owner or someone wired a switch/switches in the wrong order.The switch/switches that are registering multiple switches would be a good idea to look into and see if the wires are in correct order and test diodes(If any are there) with multimeter.

#12 6 years ago

Yeah I'm the guy who pm'd when I found your thread researching similar problems... I have every switch you indicated on mine also registering double in switch test, BUT my "mini PF U.L." (potd, top left switch) does as well and also registers/triggers the next switch on the row, the orthanc opto switch (top vuk). You don't have any oddities with that mini pf switch?

I asked about this in the club thread (on page 53 I think), and one guy seemed to indicate the same behaviour with his lotr there, including the "mini PF U.L." switch behaviour, however his did not exhibit the problem when disconnecting the switch connectors at the board and testing with jumpers as you say yours does. That kind of points in two completely different directions... To double check, you removed the switch/row column connectors on the board, and jumpered one pin at a time down the line on the board down those headers per this process? http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sega/Stern_White_Star_Repair#General_Switch_Matrix_Testing

I guess I need to try that here on mine next, but I wondered if the problem may not just be with the Stern switch test itself - I have no problems in game play and from what I can tell none of the switches act up at all during actual play. I could not tell any switches were double registering when a game is started, and switches are manually triggered... I may just drop it until an actual problem is seen in gameplay though.

#13 6 years ago

Looking over the readme file for the software there have been many bug fixes throughout the different versions. Are you on version 10.00?
http://sternpinball.com/upload/game-code/game-code-the-lord-of-the-rings/lotr.zip

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Looking over the readme file for the software there have been many bug fixes throughout the different versions. Are you on version 10.00?
http://sternpinball.com/upload/game-code/game-code-the-lord-of-the-rings/lotr.zip

Honestly i ran the old version roms for a long while in my lotr and never had any problems like what is being stated

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

Yeah I'm the guy who pm'd when I found your thread researching similar problems... I have every switch you indicated on mine also registering double in switch test, BUT my "mini PF U.L." (potd, top left switch) does as well and also registers/triggers the next switch on the row, the orthanc opto switch (top vuk). You don't have any oddities with that mini pf switch?
I asked about this in the club thread (on page 53 I think), and one guy seemed to indicate the same behaviour with his lotr there, including the "mini PF U.L." switch behaviour, however his did not exhibit the problem when disconnecting the switch connectors at the board and testing with jumpers as you say yours does.

That would have been me....
What I was trying to say was that the "mini pl ul switch triggering the orthanic opto" problem didn't occur when testing the board with jumpers. The other problem does.
The switches that are activated twice in switchtest are the trough, lock, vuk and saucer switches, the shooterlane switch and the stacking opto. Those are all switches that the ball activates for more than just a short moment. That almost can't be a coincidence and the game plays absolutely fine, so I think this behaviour is normal.

The mini pl ul switch behaviour occurs with just 1 row (CN7-P9) and 2 colums (CN5-P6, CN5-P7) connected to the board. I haven't looked into this any further. I noticed that in gameplay the game doesn't fire the orthanic vuk when the mini pl ul switched is activated.....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

€ 7.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Charles, MO
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 25.00
10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-switch-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.