Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by herg
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hey guys this has stumped me. So I have an led ocd in my fish tales. It has been working fine.

I recently Tried to install an led push button in the cast handle using the stock (prototype) wiring. It wasn’t working so I removed it and went back to stock ... led ocd fine the whole time. Then out of the blue th fuse blows on the led ocd, and now continues to do so.

However if I wire the lamp
Matrix back to the power driver (stock) lights work.

Did some further testing: with the game on and removing th old
Blown fuse and installing a new one the led ocd works... upon restart blows...So odd and the led ocd board is fine I must have some Short.

I don’t know where to start, unplug all lamps
Boards and start 1 by 1? Love any direction thanks a million

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Hey guys this has stumped me. So I have an led ocd in my fish tales. It has been working fine.
I recently Tried to install an led push button in the cast handle using the stock (prototype) wiring. It wasn’t working so I removed it and went back to stock ... led ocd fine the whole time. Then out of the blue th fuse blows on the led ocd, and now continues to do so.
However if I wire the lamp
Matrix back to the power driver (stock) lights work.
Did some further testing: with the game on and removing th old
Blown fuse and installing a new one the led ocd works... upon restart blows...So odd and the led ocd board is fine I must have some Short.
I don’t know where to start, unplug all lamps
Boards and start 1 by 1? Love any direction thanks a million

My first guess would be to check the voltage on that LED you installed - maybe its drawing a higher
Voltage than LEDOCD is expecting

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Blown fuse and installing a new one the led ocd works... upon restart blows...

If it is only doing it when you first power on the game, you might just be right at the current limit of the fuse. There is a bit of additional current draw when you first turn it on to charge the capacitors, and that may be pushing you over the limit. When I tested your board, I noticed you had installed a 3A fuse, and that would be a lot for a game full of LEDs. My own games typically run about 1A, for comparison.

So, you could install a higher value of fuse. The board can handle more current. The downside, however, is that if you do have a short, the fuse will take longer to blow and possibly cause damage to the board.

The most common reasons I've seen for blown fuses are shorts under the playfield, which might just be a wire that sometimes makes contact, and in a few cases, LEDs that have a short inside them.

The idea you had to disconnect all the lamp boards, then add them one at a time should work well to narrow things down. If it is consistently blowing every time you turn it on, it shouldn't be too hard to find using that method. If it is only occasionally, that would be more difficult to track down.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 169.00
$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 22.50
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-ocd-blowing-fuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.