Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 132 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by TigerLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jump.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 132 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 9 years ago

At expo Stern seminar.
    Gary Stern just announced no more premium models as option from here on out on AC/DC.
    Pro only .

#2 9 years ago

Yeah, which means they will create another LE model if demand is high..............Smaug LE etc.........

#4 9 years ago

I agree on less models.. but they should have stuck to pro and premium. People are REALLY going to fight over LE's now

#5 9 years ago

Bad move !!

#6 9 years ago

Nail in coffin.

Making me buy a pin with incomplete code if I want the best version available is not cool.
    Unless they're planning to release games with full code from now on? (Not bloody likely)

Edit: seems as though Gary was mis-quoted?
    Hope so!

#7 9 years ago

I think i missed that statement, didnt he say that there might be walking dead premiums in the q & a?

#8 9 years ago

Boooooooooo!

#9 9 years ago

Having multiple models was too confusing.

From a production standpoint, it was probably fairly expensive to produce three different product lines.

#10 9 years ago

Since they are selling Mods now they really only need one model.

#11 9 years ago

Make the Pro the Premium, but keep Pro pricing, problem solved.

Hey, they've done it before...NASCAR, CSI, IM, LOTR...

#12 9 years ago

I agree it's a bad for the consumer, but it makes sense. Having 3 (or more) SKUs for one game must be incredibly difficult to manage. Plus Premiums only cannibalize demand for LEs. This is a smart business move

#13 9 years ago

This practically guarantees that the LE's will sell out right away then he can just crank pro's out... It will also simplify things on the assy line.

#14 9 years ago

Yeah this sucks. They need to go to one playfield set up then. The LE should be strictly trim and not have extra game play. Boooooo is right.

#15 9 years ago

Oh sure. Gary Gary Gary.
    But if I say no preemies you guys never believe me!

Long overdue drop of preemies according to stern.

The LE will continue to have added pf mechs and software, the pro will not.
    Get what you pay for is the new business model.

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Yeah this sucks. They need to go to one playfield set up then. The LE should be strictly trim and not have extra game play. Boooooo is right.

Which is fine but then they better drop the price severely. I don't think people are going to pay an extra $3k for some trim and different art. So basically keep dreaming, not happening Stern's last goal is to make less money off LEs, if anything they want ways to make more.

#17 9 years ago

One LE model and one pro model. No 'super LE' or 'deluxe Pro'. Buy what you will and stern will continue to list features you're paying for and mods for that title will be announced shortly after.

K.I.S.S. (Acronym, not the band)

#18 9 years ago

This obviously means they don't sell enough of them to make it worth it.

Bad news for us.

Those who wanted fewer options and thought that would be a good thing got their wish.

#19 9 years ago

I'm totally fine with this if we can get missing game features by buying mods. Keep some trim or non ball interactive toys exclusive to the LE, but please make the game play the same. Or at least give me the option to make it the same down the line.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Bad news for us.
    Those who wanted fewer options and thought that would be a good thing got their wish.

No Rob, they're selling. But stern is out of the triple tier market and will sell mods for the individual to make that pin their own.

#22 9 years ago

Bad move . They will feel it soon. You can really tell the difference here at Expo.

#23 9 years ago

If you want LE features pony up and buy one. Looks to be no financial shortcuts there. This is business strategy via sterns venture capital partner. Pinball is OUR passion but their business model.

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Bad move . They will feel it soon. You can really tell the difference here at Expo.

How so?

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

No Rob, they're selling. But stern is out of the triple tier market and will sell mods for the individual to make that pin their own.

So there won't be additional game play features on the LE playfield compared to the Pro? Did Gary say that??

#27 9 years ago

I'm hearing it's not true

#28 9 years ago

Don't forget, guys. Gary reserves the right to change his mind at any time as well. "No more Trons. No more Iron Mans". So, no more premiums ever means no more premiums right now.

#29 9 years ago

Did he talk about anything new or interesting they might be developing? With all the other companies introducing new and innovative tech I was hoping he might show something interesting in development. Did they show TWD LE at least?

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

As long as those mods include the missing VUKs, kickbacks, magnets and the like, I'm down with that. I don't give a damn about the mods they just announced - purely cosmetic.

#31 9 years ago

Good, maybe with premiums gone now they can focus on getting the completed code out with the pin when first released.

/end partial sarcasm.

#32 9 years ago

He did not say that. He said it would depend on the game. Why spread bullshit rumors ?

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

As long as those mods include the missing VUKs, kickbacks, magnets and the like, I'm down with that. I don't give a damn about the mods they just announced - purely cosmetic.

Mods are and will be cosmetic. You can't buy a pro and pimp it out to make it an LE.

Stern is putting value on the LE 'brand' and allowing the LE and pro owners to customize.

#34 9 years ago

Luckily you can get LE features in a vault addition after that if you want a premium so to say in the future. Thank god for vault additions.

#35 9 years ago

I wish we just had 1 model, with all the nice features and reasonably complete code when released.

Rob

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Make the Pro the Premium, but keep Pro pricing, problem solved.
    Hey, they've done it before...Nascar, CSI, IM, LOTR...

Hey why stop there. May as well make the basic model free.

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rob_G:

I wish we just had 1 model, with all the nice features and reasonably complete code when released.
    Rob

What is it, 1994?

#38 9 years ago

It's not true.

Quoted from mnpinball:

At expo Stern seminar.
    Gary Stern just announced no more premium models as option from here on out.
    Pro and LE only !

Get your facts straight then come back here and clarify. Please.

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I think this is great news actually.

In what possible way is not having the option to buy a Premium version of a pin "great news"??

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Do you mean the increased options are making people less interested in sterns?

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

lol

#42 9 years ago

best way to justify the big price difference.

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from Chrizg:

He did not say that. He said it would depend on the game. Why spread bullshit rumors ?

Thanks for this. Kinda bullshit if you want to troll this type of stuff MN!

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

It's not true.

Get your facts straight then come back here and clarify. Please.

I was sitting in the seminar, Gary said it.
    Maybe pinball news will post audio of the seminar.

#45 9 years ago

The video is on ustream if anyone wants to dig up the timecode and tell us.

#46 9 years ago

Yawn....as if we expected anything innovative from Stern other than higher prices.

I'm glad I have my collection pretty much where I want it. THLE let me down too. I'm just gonna stand pat with my current hand and enjoy it. One of two things will happen. Either the manufacturers will give us what we want or the prices of older games will climb. Stern can only make so many VE games (and HUO IMve games are already selling at a loss), and PPS can only remake certain games that they think they can rape the buyers on the price with.

#47 9 years ago

wow bummer

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

I was sitting in the seminar, Gary said it.
    Maybe pinball news will post audio of the seminar.

No he didn't.

#49 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Bad news for us.

So wait... the Premiums don't sell, not many sold, so does that make the ones that have the real LE's

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from dantebean:

Thanks for this. Kinda bullshit if you want to troll this type of stuff MN!

Hate to say it Dantebean, but this will be sterns new tier model.

Gary isn't making the financial or marketing decisions much anymore.

So let's recap.

Moving to a huge warehouse and adding assembly lines to work on multiple projects to diversify at the same time.

Improving game code and letting designers make LE models without bom constraints.

Going to a two tier system per model instead of 3 or more.

Selling modifications directly from Stern now.

Building more than just pinball machines in the future.

Contracting work to boutique pinball manufacturers.

Stepping up software and rules implementation dramatically.

Quite a bit of strategy and some adaptation going on from what I'm seeing.

There are 132 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gary-stern-just-announced-at-expo-now and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.