View topic image gallery

SpitefulBronzeCob-size_restricted.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
3mbp20 (resized).jpg
3mbi8o (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpg
MoonBearPig (resized).png
Unknown (resized).jpg
Charles-Darwin-quote-about-evolution-from-On-The-Origin-of-Species-1a3090 (resized).jpg
178DD1B0-CC39-4FD9-9AA5-B5E56B3F8799 (resized).png
ot-plasticplague-garbagepatchmap (resized).jpg
a-man-is-known-by-the-company-he-keeps (resized).jpg
Unknown (resized).jpg
bernard (resized).jpeg
3loguy (resized).jpg
big-hunk-4 (resized).jpg
Oprah-Flu-Shot-meme-300x217 (resized).png

This topic is closed.

There are 2,456 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 50.
#401 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

When you're pulling as a team and following orders you can wipe out the more free-thinking, individualist monkeys pretty easily

It aint going to be that easy, chief.

hqdefault (resized).jpghqdefault (resized).jpg

#402 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It aint going to be that easy, chief.

Oh, to be a gorilla! Sadly we're much closer to the chimps, who cute as they are are tremendous bastards (especially to those that fall out of line).

I mean, "will believe in anything" seems like a good descriptor for the human race as a whole, don't you think? Even though individually we all think we're on top of it most of the time. How else can you even begin to understand the never ending store of loopy shit that people have believed (and done in furtherance of those beliefs) over the years?

#403 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

How else can you even begin to understand the never ending store of loopy shit that people have believed (and done in furtherance of those beliefs) over the years?

hg (resized).jpghg (resized).jpg

#404 6 years ago

I shoot wolves and bang sheep Odiner, what school of thought is that?

Wtf is this thread?

#405 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Wtf is this thread?

It's where all the lawyers are now doctors.

#406 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I mean, "will believe in anything" seems like a good descriptor for the human race as a whole, don't you think? Even though individually we all think we're on top of it most of the time. How else can you even begin to understand the never ending store of loopy shit that people have believed (and done in furtherance of those beliefs) over the years?

I believe I can fly. I believe I can touch the sky. I think about it every night and day.

#407 6 years ago

I believe I'm going to have a beer.

#408 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Make that three manhattans and I’m with you

#409 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I thought we were here to discuss shots, but if you want a beer that's o.k.

Whiskey_shots (resized).jpgWhiskey_shots (resized).jpg

#410 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Too much variance would be my guess -- too many strains and too much mutation for a vaccine to be successful. Vaccines work better on the more static varieties like M,M, and R.
Now here's my advice, if you want to make money don't waste your time in cold and flu. Too hard and if you're successful they'll make you give it away for peanuts, like the flu shot. What you want to be treating are illnesses of the rich - one good cure for fatness or baldness and you've made your billions.

Or a pilll that makes your old limp dick hard again. That shit is expensive.

#411 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I thought we were here to discuss shots, but if you want a beer that's o.k.

Thats how they got rid of the flu back in the old wild west days. A good shot of whiskey or Bourbon did the trick every time! Was the flu even a thing back then?

#412 6 years ago

only get it if you like the flu...

#413 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Thats how they got rid of the flu back in the old wild west days. A good shot of whiskey or Bourbon did the trick every time! Was the flu even a thing back then?

No clue were this gets it's data or how accurate it is but it appears to have been a leading cause of death at that time as well.
http://cowboytocowboy.com/wordpress/2012/03/12/477/

#414 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

No clue were this gets it's data or how accurate it is but it appears to have been a leading cause of death at that time as well.

Thats a good read! Times were hard back then but i think i would have liked to live back then as crazy as that may sound. Diarrhea was the 3rd leading cause of death huh? I thought diarrhea only killed the people around you?

#415 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Thumbs up for linking to “cowboytocowboy.com” - i figured it would be a Brokeback Mountain themed dating site, but instead its Wilford Brimly talkin’ ‘bout the good old days. Excellent stuff!

#416 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Thumbs up for linking to “cowboytocowboy.com” - i figured it would be a Brokeback Mountain themed dating site, but instead its Wilford Brimly talkin’ ‘bout the good old days. Excellent stuff!

Nothing but 100% scientific facts on that page. It's on the internet after all so it must be true.

#417 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Thumbs up for linking to “cowboytocowboy.com” - i figured it would be a Brokeback Mountain themed dating site, ...

Ah ya you're thinking "cowboy2cowboy.com. Give me a holla @ RodeoRob69

#418 6 years ago

Train-off-the-rails (resized).jpgTrain-off-the-rails (resized).jpg

#419 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Smallpox was literally completely eradicated due to widespread vaccinations. Polio is next, and measles, mumps, and rubella are quite rare these days. All thanks to widespread vaccination.

Ah, yes. The old “mercury is in vaccines and it’s bad” claim. Here’s how it works: Mercury, as it’s used in some vaccines as a preservative, is called ethylmercury. It’s bonded atomically in such a way that it does not bioaccumulate, it is not poisonous (like methylmercury is).
The easiest way to explain this is: sodium is a deadly metal that catches fire in the presence of water. Chlorine is a deadly gas that has crazy corrosive capabilities. But together, in regular old table salt, it’s harmless, and even necessary to the body. Same principle is in play with ethylmercury that’s found in vaccines.

Those two statements are hilariously contradictory. And completely false. If your immune system is “shut down” it cannot create antibodies. The whole point of a vaccine is to introduce a dead virus into the body to give your immune system a chance at fighting it. It encourages an immune response, which is why some people may feel a little ill after getting one.

I wish you could debate Don Imus on the air. Might inject a little sanity into the dialogue.

#420 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Thats a good read! Times were hard back then but i think i would have liked to live back then

You already do. Of course I kid!

#421 6 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

You already do. Of course I kid!

Haha im old school and i wont deny it but im not that old school. That was a great era though for sure in my opinion.

#422 6 years ago

there is science and there is "you're doing it wrong".

#423 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

there is science and there is "you're doing it wrong".

tumblr_ne6gdn8cKl1rbf5cro1_r1_400.giftumblr_ne6gdn8cKl1rbf5cro1_r1_400.gif

#424 6 years ago

Not a chance in Hell I would get one. If I feel the flu coming I take 3 Garlic oil capsules at the 1st chance I get then 3 more before each meal then 3 more before bed. Very rarely do I get the flu & if I do it is very mild compared to most that get it.
BTW , my mother is a herbalist

#425 6 years ago
Quoted from kayakkingoz:

Not a chance in Hell I would get one. If I feel the flu coming I take 3 Garlic oil capsules at the 1st chance I get then 3 more before each meal then 3 more before bed. Very rarely do I get the flu & if I do it is very mild compared to most that get it.

I only pray that she prescribed an oral application and not a suppository.

#426 6 years ago

Yes, because the military makes me. But would probably still get one.

#427 6 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Yes, because the military makes me. But would probably still get one.

So, they make you, or they give it because you want it? That "probably " is an interesting addition.

Hey, look, I just hope everyone stays as healthy as they can.

#429 6 years ago
Quoted from kayakkingoz:

I ordered the best fresh garlic pizza in town tonight. It also came with pepperoni and mushrooms. I am feeling no ill affects.

#430 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I ordered the best fresh garlic pizza in town tonight. It also came with pepperoni and mushrooms. I am feeling no ill affects.

How about those around you?

#431 6 years ago

Everybody gets a slice.

348s (resized).jpg348s (resized).jpg

#432 6 years ago

Opinions on this? My girlfriend got the flu a number of weeks ago. Since I read that 5-7 days after first symptoms, the person is no longer contagious. I waited about 8 days to see her but I couldn't stay away from her that night and although we didn't kiss we did do everything else!

I was on antibiotics at the time for something else; but it Seems about 5-7 days later I felt a very small amount of chills, night sweats, cough (all for a few days) and was quite tired for about a week. Halfway through I took tamiflu for a few days.

My point is that I didn't develop anything like a full flu (I have never gotten a shot)

Is it possible I was exposed to a highly weakend version of the virus or antibodies from intimate contact with her?

It certainly was an enjoyable exposure.

#433 6 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

Is it possible I was exposed to a highly weakend version of the virus or antibodies from intimate contact with her?

You can pick it up anywhere. May not have even been her.

How sick you get and how long it lasts is more dependent on the condition of your immune system and if you are run down or not when you contract it. That's why some get over it in a few days and others don't.

Antibiotics only work on bacterial infections and do nothing to kill a virus. Which begs the question, why do so many get prescribed them and take them when they are sick with the flu?

#434 6 years ago

^
Why do so many people not finish their prescription? I know someone that has a "stash" and will take them for only 3-4 days.

Great, thanks for creating super resistant germs!

#435 6 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

^
Why do so many people not finish their prescription? I know someone that has a "stash" and will take them for only 3-4 days.
Great, thanks for creating super resistant germs!

My family does this too and it drives me insane. My son gets staff all the time because he plays football and wrestles and he is in locker rooms and gyms. He takes the meds till it starts to heal then stops and it often comes back. I tell him to take the mess till they are gone and he doesn’t listen.

#436 6 years ago

What a bummer. Antibiotics are the second best thing medicine has ever done for us (after vaccines, naturally), and we’re working hard to get back to the good old days when a scrape could be fatal. Good stuff.

#437 6 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

My son gets staff all the time because he plays football and wrestles and he is in locker rooms and gyms. He takes the meds till it starts to heal then stops and it often comes back.

That stuff does come back. One time I got hit just over the eye with the sharp back edge of a surfboard and it made a pretty deep cut that required several stitches. Being it happened in the ocean which is the sewer of the world, I got staph and my head swelled up like a balloon. I'm not going to get into the gory details but the antibiotic pills I was given didn't work and it wasn't until that Dr. removed one of the stitches and let it drain that it was gone the next day.

Over the next few years out of nowhere I got it a couple times on my elbows and knees. Starts out like a little pimple and turns into a painful volcano and without the penicillin each time I'd probably not be here or have at least lost a leg.

It's been almost two decades since the last one so I think I finally purged it from wherever it was hiding, but even for someone healthy with a good immune system staph is a killer and should never be taken lightly.

#438 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Thats a good read! Times were hard back then but i think i would have liked to live back then as crazy as that may sound. Diarrhea was the 3rd leading cause of death huh? I thought diarrhea only killed the people around you?

In Tattoo Assassin's by Data East, there is a fatality move. Acidic Diarrhea.

7 months later
#439 5 years ago

Annual public service announcement:

80,000 Americans killed last year:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/10/14/656290155/last-year-the-flu-put-him-in-a-coma-this-year-hes-getting-the-shot

Just get the shot pinside conspiracy theorists!

#440 5 years ago

+1 to getting the shot!

You save more lives than your own by getting the shot!

#441 5 years ago

Awesome thread. Could have renamed it to do you believe in science or magic lol.

#442 5 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Annual public service announcement:
80,000 Americans killed last year:
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/10/14/656290155/last-year-the-flu-put-him-in-a-coma-this-year-hes-getting-the-shot
Just get the shot pinside conspiracy theorists!

While I was to lazy to read this I have a very hard time believing that 80K people died from the flue.

#443 5 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

While I was to lazy to read this I have a very hard time believing that 80K people died from the flue.

It's unfortunately very true, and the vast majority of those were over 65 years old.

http://www.nfid.org/newsroom/news-conferences/2018-nfid-influenza-pneumococcal-news-conference/press-release.pdf

#444 5 years ago

I usually get a flu shot every year, but I decided to skip it a few years ago. That winter I got the flu, and I was as sick as I can ever recall being. I literally had to miss my grandfather's funeral because I had 104 fever and could barely move. Needless to say, I will never miss a flu shot again. If anything can reduce the chances of that happening again, I'm all for it.

#445 5 years ago

#446 5 years ago

This is the flu shot thread, sleeping sickness is two doors down.

#447 5 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

hard time believing that 80K people died

true fact. Usually it's around 50k. Worldwide upwards of 600k.

Not just the long in tooth or infirmed either. That article is about a 39 y/o healthy dude that was out of commission for months from the flu...no underlying condition. Regular guy. Boom. Fever organ failure put in a coma, weeks in hospital, rehab. A real horror show.

Sadly, a couple pinsiders passed last year from it as well I believe.

#448 5 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

true fact. Usually it's around 50k. Worldwide upwards of 600k.
Not just the long in tooth or infirmed either. That article is about a 39 y/o healthy dude that was out of commission for months from the flu...no underlying condition. Regular guy. Boom. Fever organ failure put in a coma, weeks in hospital, rehab. A real horror show.
Sadly, a couple pinsiders passed last year from it as well I believe.

True facts are the most reliable.

#449 5 years ago

Never have never will.

#450 5 years ago

If you are inoculated and I am not, what is there to worry??

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Washington, PA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Auburn, ME
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

1,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Myers, FL
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 27.95
$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,456 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 50.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-get-a-sesonal-flu-shot/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.