View topic image gallery

LEDs.JPG
Normal.JPG
Comparison.JPG
Cool_and_Warm.JPG
Warm_only.JPG
555s.JPG
#1 13 years ago

Hi all. I installed Cointaker LEDs in my Corvette and love the look for the most part.
I will start with the backglass. The first pick is with standard 555 incandescent bulbs.
The second is with all 555 warm white Superbrights.
The third is with a mix of warm and cool white superbrights.
The last is a comparison of an incandescent, ww and cw superbright.
I really like it better with the superbrights. It really brings out the reds. Not yet certain if I like it more with pure ww or with the mix.

555s.JPG555s.JPG Warm_only.JPGWarm_only.JPG Cool_and_Warm.JPGCool_and_Warm.JPG Comparison.JPGComparison.JPG

#2 13 years ago

Cointakers super brights are great - have them in the STTNG entire machine looks awesome. Lets see the rest

#3 13 years ago

As you said, the red really pops out! Nice!

#4 13 years ago

Here are the playfield pics.
For the most part I used color matched Cointaker Super brights or Super flexes for the medium and large inserts. I used single frosted leds for the small ones.
Exceptions are:
the yellows where I used warm white since they didn't have any yellow 555 superflexes.
White Extra Ball - warm white single frosted
White Catch me - incandescent since I forgot to order one. Will use a WW SuperFlex
The Red taillights - Used red single frosted
Blue Millions - Blue single frosted
Orange Pit in - Orange single frosted.
Don't like the Yellow single frosted in the backboard and race track GI. Not bright enough.
I put colored single frosted in the "Pit-in" and Xmas tree but had to take out the green ones because one bulb wouldn't turn off all the way. Will try another brand there.
The GI is mostly incandescents except for Orange clear singles under the engine and red single frosted in the upper lanes and under the exhaust.
The pop has a red 4LED. I don't like it. I wanted red 4+1s but they sent me the wrong item. Not excited about having to change out that burnt bulb. The ramp above it is a PITA to remove.

#5 13 years ago

First pic is of normal incandescents. Second with the LEDs. Doesn't look as washed out in person. In fact, I think it looks really nice. I am sold on these Superbrights and will order them for all my DMD games.

Normal.JPGNormal.JPG LEDs.JPGLEDs.JPG

#6 13 years ago

Looks great! sealclubber Im going to change to superbrights in my backbox in my whirlwind I have frosted in there right now. Have you tried the ULTRA brights from cointaker. If so how much difference is there between supers and ultras?

#7 13 years ago

Wow the PF really jumps out at you
fantastic looking

#8 13 years ago

You try experimenting with making the Corvette's breaklights (2x,4x,6x,8x) even more brighter SC?

#9 13 years ago

This was my first go for the most part. Haven't tried the Ultras as I was skeptical of the supers. Thought they would be too bright. I went with Wolfpack's suggestions and I pretty much agree with them.
Taillights: I think the superbrights might be too bright in a small insert. The single frosted work fine for these small ones particularly when the bulb is aimed directly at the insert.
The superflex are great for sideways and angled sockets. The 555 are a super tight fit and require a lot of pressure to get them into the socket. So much so that I had to resolder one of the sockets on the circuit board. Still worth it though.

#10 13 years ago

After playing a for a few hours tonight I am having second thoughts. They look beautiful enough but the strobe affect that some of them have is confusing as hell. Most are fine but some won't dim all the way and some others flash continuously, though at a lesser brightness. If I didn't know the game I would be lost.

Is there a brand of LEDs which only light up when you want them to?

#11 13 years ago

I hate how LED's turn on and off so fast, it's really distracting, and the attract mode is like the machines are on super fast mode. I will not convert any of my machines to FULL led. I do like them in certain spots though.

#12 13 years ago

I have seen some machines that look great with full conversions though. Funhouse for example looked awesome with a mix of LED's and colored GI. Also saw a Stern Spiderman fully done that looked awesome as well. I love how they make the insert colors really pop, but there are downfalls to them as well, lesson learned I guess.

#13 13 years ago

I don't mind the quick on and off. Its the not turning off all the way that bothers me.

#14 13 years ago

Makes me wish i had held on to my Corvette...

#15 13 years ago

The LEDs on the playfield make the pin's art stand out even more! Really nice!

BTW Sealclubber, how do you like your Corvette pin?

#16 13 years ago

It is really fun. Great artwork, sounds and DMD animations. Has great flow and the game rewards you for shooting combos in several ways. There are a lot of small objectives like collecting spark plugs, spelling raucus, collecting speed parts, collecting cars, keeping the turbo targets activated to increase your points, shooting combos to increase your bonus, trying to complete the lanes to 8x bonus to also get the extra ball, becoming the lane combo champions and keeping the kickback active because the ball goes down the left outlane often. Unfortunately there are only 5 modes, Corvette challenge, Catch me, Drag-Race video mode, Engine multiball, and turbo hurryup, which repeat over and over, not including the 4 ball puzzle wizard mode to discover the Future Vette. I will say that unless you are good you won't repeat them too often in one game as those outlanes are brutal. I have also not yet made the final mode. There are only a couple of sucker shots, when the ball comes down thru the spinner slowly and if it doesn't go up the engine ramp all the way, it will drain SDTM.
I love the game, think it is very fun and really compliments my LOTR and IJ in terms of gameplay. But, due to the limited depth of the ruleset, I don't think I would want this as my only pin, especially for the going rate of it. I bought it for $1400 and spent about $100 to shop it which is a steal. Even though it is in my personal top 10, I would not have purchased it at the $2500+ most people want for it. While not an A list game, I do think it should rate higher than it is, like right around 50. If you ever get a chance to play it, spend some time on it and learn the strategy. It is very addictive.

#17 13 years ago

I think I will replace the Superbrights in the Car inserts to single LEDs. This area is just too bright when several cars are collected.

Cointaker has awesome customer Service. They sent me the 4+1s to me no problems. He even called me to try and help me with the ghosting and asked if there were any other problems.

#18 13 years ago

I just put in super brights in my Whirlwind last night. They look really good in the backbox, and in most inserts, and in the GIs they are alot brighter and look really good. I m trying to get the compass arrows brighter the N,S,E,W. I put blues in the N and S inserts looks sweet. I going to order some ultra brights just to see how much of a difference there is. Cointaker is awesome it took only 2 days to get my order.

#19 13 years ago

Wow Night and Day, looks great SC

#20 13 years ago

Corvette is a sexy little devil in LEDs. I am waiting to see a High Speed done in LEDs. System 11 and LED's I have yet to see a bad combination.

#21 13 years ago

What is ghosting?
Is it when some of the light's stay on but they are very dim?

I think I have this going on with some of MY SM LED's.

SC...did Chris give you any easy fix for this?

#22 13 years ago

I got the patch from some other guy. Haase applied the patch to the Game U6 EPROM code I sent him. I now have to get a chip burned and see how well it works. Might take a few weeks. Wish I had an EPROM programmer.
I can send it to you but this patch only works for WPC machines. Not sure if there is one for Sterns.

1 week later
#23 13 years ago

Put the new ROM in with the additional delay. The delay helped with the ghosting but not the unwanted blinking. So now I have to decide whether or not to keep LEDs in those blinking inserts.

#24 13 years ago

Probably good idea to switch those insert LED's with regular bulbs. Nothing wrong with a mix of bulb types, as long as it looks good.

#25 13 years ago

Glad to hear that the patch helped the ghosting, and that the chips worked

You have all cointakers right now, correct?

Another option if you like the color, but not the harsher on/off when they are flashing, is to get some of the Noflix PLUS LED's for the flashing inserts. They are much smoother in this regard, but will retain the richer color of the LED's. Though mixing in colored regular bulbs is another good option for those inserts.

-Hans

#26 13 years ago

Yeah, the ghosting is mostly gone now. There are a couple which are stubborn but not so bright as to be confusing or bothersome.
I will probably go the colored 555s unless I can figure something else out.
Will those Noflix stop the flashing when they are not supposed to? There are only 5 or 6 inserts which do this.

#27 13 years ago

Looks amazing.
very sexy SC

#28 13 years ago

Thank you.

As soon as I get my patched IJ Roms in and tested for blinking / ghosting inserts, I am going to order some Noflix Plus Superfluxs for the problem inserts. I will end up with a mixture of Cointaker and Noflix LEDs in each machine. I am hoping the Superfluxes are of comparable brightness to the Superbrights. Anyone seen both side by side?
Shipping is about $20 from them which isn't much more than most places charge to Alaska.

1 month later
#29 13 years ago

Update. Finally put LEDs in my IJ. I took the ones out of the backbox to test the inserts. It only had a few ghosting issues and no pulsing. Mostly with the green dogfight lights. Put in the patched EPROM and it got rid of the ghosting. This is with cointaker LEDs. I just wish the patch would have worked as well for the Corvette. I will order some Noflix for the Corvette and see how they do.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kenosha, WI
$ 85.00
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/corvette-with-leds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.