(Topic ID: 216083)

BSD is cool as hell! (played for first time)

By spinal

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Shadrac
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

goonies (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

Played BSD for the first time today and WOW, what a great game! Lots of shots, great sound package, nice challenge, '90s feel, unique wiggly ball shot and even a fun video mode. Before playing it and just having seen pics before I didn't really get it and to be honest thought the art package was a bit tacky but I had a great time and now just think it's cool. Played many games of DI too and just kept coming back to BSD (I know I'm not supposed to say that but damn, I just had more fun wit BSD tonight because I just thought it was cool as hell). Why would I want to play BSD over the most technologically advanced pin ever released? I must be nuts. Anyone else?

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#2 5 years ago

Great game with multi ball stack! 30... million! never gets old.

But alas....

Quoted from spinal:

thought the art package was a bit tacky

You see that every morning when you wake up for over a year, then eventually it may just fly away with the bats that dropped it off in the first place.

That being said, I lost many hours sleep playing it until the wee hours of the morning.

#3 5 years ago

I have owned 3! I would own it again!

#4 5 years ago

I had my housekeeper ask me to turn off attract sounds on BSD. It made her very uncomfortable, lol.

#5 5 years ago

This was almost my first pin! I ended up with Judge Dredd instead (which I do not regret at all). However, when I get our first house, I will be on the hunt for a BSD!

#6 5 years ago

It's a god damn masterpeice.

#7 5 years ago

Looks like that one has regular flipper bats, rather than lightning flipper bats. It's a bit more challenging with lightning flippers installed. Wait till you try it then, lol

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

I had my housekeeper ask me to turn off attract sounds on BSD. It made her very uncomfortable, lol.

Yeah, “I condemn you to a living death!” in attract mode gets a bit spooky sometimes

#9 5 years ago

This game was a late bloomer for me too, I always pasted it up in high school at the pool hall and played GNR, World Cup Soccer, TZ, TFTC and just looked at it. Finally played it a few years ago and always enjoy the shots and call outs.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Why would I want to play BSD over the most technologically advanced pin ever released? I must be nuts. Anyone else?

Why, you ask? BSD has soul! It sets a mood. This is the largest problem with JJP games...they just don't have music and the call outs to make you feel like you're immersed in the adventure. Avatar is like this, too.

I think that this is one of the reasons Iron Maiden is becoming such a hit in addition to the shots and the code...it makes you feel like you're part of the game. YMMV.

#11 5 years ago

You're not "supposed"" to like BSD more than DI, why? Technology alone does not make a great pin. All these rankings and reviews are subjective to your own opinion. BSD is a great game for a couple important reasons; a great immersive theme where you try to create a situation where 3 multiballs are running at the same time, while scoring jackpots. To get to this situation requires a lot of effort, and trial and error which makes the replayability off the charts. That's what makes the game an absolute classic even though its playfield is pretty basic.

#12 5 years ago

I got incredibly lucky and picked up a really nice one for $1750 about 6 years ago. Some people say it isn’t good for a first pin because of its difficulty but I loved it. I saw the movie in the theaters when I was in college and actually liked it unlike most people. So I thought the theme and callouts were awesome. It kept me pushing play over and over to finally get that one good game. I eventually traded it like most pins. BSD and TS are about the only 2 pins I have let go that I would like back. Too bad it would cost at least double what I paid 6 years ago.

#13 5 years ago

I really want to get a BSD. It's addicting to me. I play it whenever I come across one!

#14 5 years ago

you are not nuts. BSD is one of my favorites too. love the theme, shots, sounds, code, its all good. plays super fast. multiball is awesome. you have good taste. i want one.
thanks
blake

#15 5 years ago

BSD is one of the better pins ever made.

Yet another example why you don’t need 1 gazillion modes and 189 different characters to make a super sweet pinball machine.

rd

#16 5 years ago

LOVE my BSD!! Such a great game. I love horror and the movie is one of my all time favorites. Funny story....I recently had my Niece over for the first time (5 years old) and I had my pins on in the game room. She has never seen a pinball machine before. I always keep the volume really loud with a subwoofer attached. So once the sun went down the machines were emitting a nice glow out the door which she was drawn to. And you know kids, they just wander around the house kind of doing their own thing. We were all in the kitchen and all of a sudden we hear WELLLCOME TO MY HOME!! She hit the start button because it was a flashing button lolololol. She came RUNNING out of that room into the kitchen in tears shaking in fear hahaha. It scared the living hell out of her. She wouldn’t go back in there....even with us haha. Dracula is pretty terrifying if you’re a little kid I guess!! Amazing game!! Get one

#17 5 years ago

To me, this is the game more than any other that has a feel of an environment on the play field. And the mood is like no other.

#18 5 years ago

Oh and anyone who has not seen Hazards work he did for pinsound here is the link. It’s AMAZING. Really makes this pin even more terrifying using the OST and sound effects. I want a pinsound bad!

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Looks like that one has regular flipper bats, rather than lightning flipper bats. It's a bit more challenging with lightning flippers installed. Wait till you try it then, lol

Damn it, and I thought I was getting a bit better at pinball lol. I've read so many comments about how punishing it is and I didn't feel that really so this explains it.

Q: is it common to replace flippers with normal size on location or at home?

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Damn it, and I thought I was getting a bit better at pinball lol. I've read so many comments about how punishing it is and I didn't feel that really so this explains it.

I replaced mine with normal flippers because I suck at pinball lol. The lightning flippers are pretty brutal and it was just frustrating for me and anyone who comes over. I’m a casual player. I play maybe once a week tops. I have lots of hobby’s so pinball to me is a casual thing every now and then. It’s still pretty dang difficult even with normal flippers. I know there is a lot of purists out there who would never dream of changing out the Lightning’s but hey....to each their own.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

It takes maybe ten minutes. Operators will try anything they think will generate income. Home users do whatever they feel like doing.

#22 5 years ago

Isn't it cool to discover how great a game is 25 years after it was released? Maybe it's me, but I find the newer pins way too complicated. I like the simplicity of the 90s games and that's what I tend to collect and enjoy playing.

I only picked up a BSD last year, but I still keep going back to it. The lightning flippers and turning off extra balls makes for a brutal game. The outlanes are virtual vacuums as well. You can have a 1B game one minute and then right after have a 3M game the next. Brutal.

#23 5 years ago

Mine has been in my collection the longest and i dont plan on letting it go. Excellent game

#24 5 years ago

How did you see the ball?

#25 5 years ago

The best callouts and best single shot/gimmick (Mist!). You'd have to pry my cold-dead fingers off the flippers for me to get rid of it.

#26 5 years ago

OP - you’re not crazy. BSD is one of the coolest games ever made.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Gotta go lightning flippers on this game!

#28 5 years ago

Still one of my favorites that I continue to go back to and will spend hours playing to get the multi ball stacks.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

Yeah, “I condemn you to a living death!” in attract mode gets a bit spooky sometimes

That's the one. Picture Rosalita in The Goonies. That's my housekeeper.

goonies (resized).jpggoonies (resized).jpg

#30 5 years ago

Man, I love BSD. We have a name for it in our house "the teethkicker". GOT and AFM, you can have a nice lil game and feel good. Then you play BSD and kiss that goodbye. I need a game that is a challenge yet fun to play, and BSD fits the bill.

Totally agree about newer games being no where near as immersive as the "classics". Keep your "war and peace" modern pinball with shallow characters and no heart. I'll take my "curious george" rulesets with atmosphere all day long.

#31 5 years ago

FYI the wiggly ball shot is called mist multiball. I agree with everything else, it's an ass kicker but if you have it in a collection of 4 or more machines I think it can easily hold its own.

#32 5 years ago

I agree on this pin being bad ass. I was really surprised how well I liked it. It is one I would consider buying for my collection if the right offer came along.

#33 5 years ago

We colloquially call BSD "Love Never Dies" because my friend and I love the game so much, and never seem to lose interest playing it. Next time you see one, give The Shadow a shot too. It's similarly difficult, and also has a hideous backglass, but has a tad more going for it in the rules department.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Isn't it cool to discover how great a game is 25 years after it was released

Yes, fantastic! One thing it shows me designers today are not always paying attention to basic things like how important spectacular-sounding callouts are to the pinball experience. When you hit a jackpot and you hear BSD's "twenty million!" it just makes for a good time. It's better to have 5 callouts that make you feel like you just won the world series rather than 150 mediocre ones and BSD just nails this concept.

#35 5 years ago

BSD is a great game, no question, I’ll never give up mine, but I don’t agree with it having lots of shots. It really only has two - the two ramp shots. The genius of the game is that it doesn’t really need more - it what it does with these shots. Ok, sometimes you need the scoop and sometimes the VIDEO lane is useful, then there’s mist multiball, but that’s about it.

#36 5 years ago

I recognize that location

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Yes, fantastic! One thing it shows me designers today are not always paying attention to basic things like how important spectacular-sounding callouts are to the pinball experience. When you hit a jackpot and you hear BSD's "twenty million!" it just makes for a good time. It's better to have 5 callouts that make you feel like you just won the world series rather than 150 mediocre ones and BSD just nails this concept.

Wait'll you get castle jackpot, and the female vampire screams as the cross glows and melts her to bone. I have gotten so excited to see and hear it that I've accidentally drained my ball (it does not hold the ball during that animation).

In my top 3 jackpot animations/callouts with AFMs Super Jackpot and some other one I'll think of later....

#38 5 years ago

There is so much genius in the simplicity of the rules. And I highly recommend pin-sound and a ColorDMD for it.

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

I don’t agree with it having lots of shots. It really only has two - the two ramp shots.

There are way more than that. Including the six stand up targets that are used to light the left ramp for castle lock. Take off your ramp blinders and you might even find a few more than that.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

There are way more than that. Including the six stand up targets...

I thought we were over calling every stand up target it's own shot. Missing the tight hole shot for sure though.

BSD, Wh20, & Congo have to be the biggest risers in respect and price since the boom; BSD was the cheapest by far.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I thought we were over calling every stand up target it's own shot.

Who's we? I spent a lot of time concentrating on hitting those "shots" in the correct order so I could get those castle locks lit.

I suppose if that was the case we could also be over calling every ramp entrance it's own shot.

#42 5 years ago

Normal people. People that tried to calm people down that were claiming games had 90+ shots because every switch, target, each individual inline drop was "a shot."

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Normal people. People that tried to calm people down that were claiming games had 90+ shots because every switch, target, each individual inline drop was "a shot."

OK. Well being on many of my machines the stand up targets are the major shots and there are no ramps, then I must fall into the category of abbi-normal.

#44 5 years ago

I've had mine for 4+ years. There's nothing like it!

#45 5 years ago

Yep, it was the first pin I got about 6 years ago. I remember getting on pinside and looking through the top 100 pins and being drawn to BSD and LOTR. Back then BSD was way cheaper and I actually really liked the movie. I saw it in the theatre around Halloween when I was in college. I found one in great shape with no fade and fully working for $1750.

A lot of people on here said it wasn’t a good first pin because it was very difficult. But I loved it! Ive went through quite a few of the older Bally/Williams pins. BSD and TS are about the only ones I would really like to have back. Too bad they would cost at least double what I paid back then.

#46 5 years ago

I used to hate the game because of the way it was setup and unbeknownst to me at the time it had things broken on it that made the game actually harder to play. Then I played one with regular flippers and getting to the multiballs was much easier. This was a game changer and I specifically remember getting nearly a billion on it. When the original BSD went up for sale I bought it purely based upon that one time experience. Sometimes it's not the games fault but how the operator sets it up and THAT I think hurts the pinball industry the most. If people do not have fun playing pinball then they will not play it. They may play a game of say Iron Maiden because it's a cool theme to play but if it's not fun and they perceive it as gambling (which it may be with the way it's setup) then you don't make money on the game and you hurt the pinball industry. You can have a whole arcade full of the latest Sterns at a $1 a game but people will go to the beat-up Space Mission because it gives out replays and you can actually play it.

#47 5 years ago

Out of all the machines in my current collection, I've had BSD the longest.

My BSD isn't going anywhere, anytime soon.

#48 5 years ago

One of the best to come from the 90s, and one of my favorites. Excellent choice.

#49 5 years ago

You gotta play it with lightning flippers, man. You will curse it and you you will love it!

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Next time you see one, give The Shadow a shot too. It's similarly difficult, and also has a hideous backglass

Fixable!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

9,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-is-cool-as-hell-played-for-first-time and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.