ec.jpg
IMAG1778.jpg
metallicalogo.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
photo(1).JPG
IMG_2724.JPG
There are 281 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 11 years ago

Someone at work mentioned a pinball place called Hemispheres Amusements this morning to me which I've never heard of before. Thought I'd stop by at lunch and see what it's all about.

www.hemispheresamusements.com/index.htm

Well the place wasn't open (door stated it's best to make an appointment prior to showing up). They had a few pinball machines inside, like Tommy, TAF, FH, but couldn't make out the rest. Called the place and left a message. Owner got back to me a few hours later, stated he was in Michigan on vacation but they mainly sell merchandise and do restorations, but no games for play. The machines inside are either for sale or owned by a private owner waiting to be restored. No such luck here but...

As I was driving there, I noticed a place called Enchanted Castle and thought I'd stop and see if they had anything.

www.hauntedtrailsfun.com/indexLombard.html

I made my way through and was losing hope until I found a section called Arcade Games and to my surprise, 9 pinball machines all lined up.
ACDC, TAV, TF, POTC, XM, CSI, Avatar, TRS and Tron.
Each game is 4 tokens for 1 play or 8 tokens for 3 plays. I only had time to play one game of TAV, which I was looking forward to trying for the first time this past weekend at Gameworks until we found out it wasn't there anymore.

Management stated they just added all the pinball machines within the past week, and that they never have had any there before. Looks to be a good lineup and many machines I haven't had a lot of time on, so looking forward to another place to play at lunch.

*Update 7/19/13*
Current lineup:
ACDC Pro, Avatar, BMDK, CSI, FGY, LOTR, MET Pro x2, Nascar, NBA, POTC, RBION, Sopranos, SP, TAV, TFLE, Tron, TRS, WOZ, and XM.

Conrad

#2 11 years ago

I've been to enchanted castle a few times back in 91, in fact it's where I fell in love with LW3. It was my understanding that place has been closed for a while. Nice to see they're bringing pinball back. Crap, I gotta go check them out!

#3 11 years ago

Great lineup of Sterns.

#4 11 years ago

Whoa! I must stop there! Haven't been since I was a kid! Maybe on my way home tomorrow!

#5 11 years ago

They did have pins there quite a while ago, but they were not maintained very well. Hopefully this is a new beginning and its great to see another place in the chicago suburbs to play !!

#6 11 years ago

That's 5 minutes from my office. Lunch just got a whole lot better!

#7 11 years ago

The "castle" had 2 black Spidermans back when they were out.

#8 11 years ago

Wow, went over there at lunch and extremely impressed. All games were NIB when they arrived except PoTC which was slightly used (can't tell). I talked with one of the staff there who indicated 8-9 more are coming in next week. He was hopeful they'd be in this week, but should be Monday or Tuesday of next. This is going to be awesome.

WP_20130131_002.jpgWP_20130131_002.jpg

#9 11 years ago

this is so exciting. its nice to see pins on location again.

#10 11 years ago

Good find! I stop into see Kurt at Hemispheres every now and then, and had NO idea Enchanted Castle had pins. Always assumed they didn't. Good to know...especially if the are going to carry such a big collection.

#11 11 years ago

Awesome, I took my wife there about 3 years ago for her birthday (She likes Mini-golf). But they didn't have a single pin! What are they set on, tokens? Are tokens 25cents?

#12 11 years ago

1 token is 25 cents. On the website they spell out a "deal" of $5 for 20 tokens. I'm going to see if they will offer any actual deals since I see myself spending quite a bit of time here, especially if they are planning on adding another 8-9 machines.

The pinball machines also don't have ticket dispensors and I'm not sure they are planning on adding any. If they don't, maybe they would offer a larger deal for tokens since its not like I will be using tickets to purchase any toys.

#13 11 years ago

Thanks for the info! We went there 3 years ago while in Chicago and they had no pins at all at that time. The kids still had a blast, though, and we were planning to go again someday....and now we definitely will!

#14 11 years ago

did they say what other machines they are getting in?

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

did they say what other machines they are getting in?

Nope, I asked he said he wasn't sure but they would mostly be used (unlike this batch) so I'm taking that to mean not all Sterns.

#16 11 years ago

i am surprised that they found some of those NIB.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from Bomba:

Each game is 4 tokens for 1 play or 8 tokens for 3 plays

$1 seems to be the standard for well kept pins, but the $2 buy-in makes them 66 cents (lower than Stern's current one game price). Wonder if the older pins will be 2 tokens.

#18 11 years ago

I'll have to stop in there at lunch sometime, this is excellent! Grab some sliders and then head in for some pinball.

#19 11 years ago

This is pretty exciting. I was in there a few months ago and pestered them a bit about not having any pins. I'm sure that's not the reason they got em, but I'm glad they did. I'll have to try to roll in there soon and check em out. Curious what other titles they plan to get.

#20 11 years ago

Incredible! I really wonder what has got them to go out and get all these! Not that I am complaining! Hope they have someone on hand to work on em....

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from AndHart120:

Incredible! I really wonder what has got them to go out and get all these! Not that I am complaining! Hope they have someone on hand to work on em....

My thoughts exactly!

I should probably head there soon before they get beat up and broken down.

-Mark

#22 11 years ago

Nice Avatar! I'm a former Great America employee and I am a roller coaster nut too!

#23 11 years ago

Nice Avatar! I'm a former Great America employee and I am a roller coaster nut too!

Thanx!

I had to do something non pinball-related, just because.
Marriott's GR*EA*T A*MER*ICA*(s) was/were the bomb.

I am probably one of not that many people that have season passes to both former Marriott parks.

How does Great America tie in with pinball?
1) Bally bought Six Flags mainly for the opportunity to purchase Great America (Gurnee) from Marriott as their backyard showpiece.
http://www.nytimes.com/1984/04/27/business/marriott-to-sell-park-to-bally.html
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1499&dat=19840427&id=D28aAAAAIBAJ&sjid=DSoEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5572,5564723

2) California Extreme is held across the street from Great America in Santa Clara, CA.

Bally had their hand in too many odd things at that time, and it wasn't long until they divested it all, and a year or so later they went under/were acquired by Williams.

The image below is from Bally's first full year of Great America ownership, the 1985 season. "A Bally Company" is under the logo.

-Mark

GreatAmerica85.jpgGreatAmerica85.jpg

#24 11 years ago

I now have faith again in Enchanted Castle!

If you were big into the arcade scene, E.C. was the bomb in the late 80's - early 90's. Sadly, the last time I was there (about 3 years ago) it was inundated w/ a bunch of redemption crap....

Glad to see the light again!

#25 11 years ago

Looks like they are turning there old crane room into a pinball room! Very cool. Ive been there a few times.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from Bomba:

The pinball machines also don't have ticket dispensors and I'm not sure they are planning on adding any. If they don't, maybe they would offer a larger deal for tokens since its not like I will be using tickets to purchase any toys.

to bad they don't have time cards like the places with swipe cards and $1 a game even for older games is higher then other places that have a base price of $0.75 a game and lower for when you get to the VIP or what even they call it level.

The $2 buy in does lower the price but by working deals and specials the card places can be better.

Also at some places with cards based on how they are setup up (time out time) you can really load up games useing a time card.

but places with tokens and cards still mask the real price of the game Vs places that work on coins.

Cards are easier to keep track of.

The tokens places should offer deals as it's not like you can trade in unused ones for real cash.

#27 11 years ago

I wish Galaxy World would come around again. That place was pretty crowded and had tons of pins back in the day.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

I wish Galaxy World would come around again. That place was pretty crowded and had tons of pins back in the day.

Williams liked putting their games on test there.

The past ten years they had about two pins, both in marginal working condition. I think I remember Junk Yard and South Park being there a few years ago. It was so sad, compared to what it used to be.

Maybe Stern will consider putting their games on test at EC.

-Mark

#29 11 years ago

I wish someone had a picture of galaxy world with all the pins. Place makes me sad if I stop by because all the decor and murals are the same as the good days.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

The tokens places should offer deals as it's not like you can trade in unused ones for real cash.

That's exactly right.. Let people buy those tokens in bulk. You want them coming back to use what they can't finish.

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from AndHart120:

I wish someone had a picture of galaxy world with all the pins. Place makes me sad if I stop by because all the decor and murals are the same as the good days.

You won't even get to look at those murals anymore, unless you break in; I believe they closed for good about a year ago.

-Mark

#32 11 years ago

Is Galaxy World ala Gala Lanes on 64 in Carol Stream?

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from marcos:

You won't even get to look at those murals anymore, unless you break in; I believe they closed for good about a year ago.
-Mark

Actually I'm referring to the Naperville Galaxy World.

#34 11 years ago

I stopped by Enchanted Castle and played most of the games tonight. Just as stated before, all of these games are in wonderful shape. Quite a few of them (especially AC/DC and X-Men) looked super glossy to me, like they had been clearcoated multiple times. All games played pretty well. The Avengers kept getting the ball stuck near the top, but that was about it. One of the employees came over and talked to me and also told me (without me even asking) that 9 more games were on their way there! Can't wait the come back when those are in! Here are two pictures I took.....

IMAG1988.jpgIMAG1988.jpg castle2.jpgcastle2.jpg

#35 11 years ago

Great news hope they keep popping up..

#36 11 years ago

I was there on Friday night. All the games are in excellent condition.

First time I have ever played CSI. I was pleasantly surprised by that game. Other than theme, why no love for this game?

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

Is Galaxy World ala Gala Lanes on 64 in Carol Stream?

Yeah, this is the one I was referring to, which closed about a year ago.

-Mark

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from marcos:

Yeah, this is the one I was referring to, which closed about a year ago.
-Mark

That's sad!

Another one of my favorite hangouts closed forever! I was told that Data East tested their pins there as well? Honestly, at that time (late '80s), I was more into vids. That place had an *incredible* arcade.....

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from AndHart120:

Actually I'm referring to the Naperville Galaxy World.

Got it. Naperville is far from the city and near west suburbs, so I never knew about it growing up, or have ever been there, for that matter.

Maybe I should check it out next time I'm up north, but from your description, maybe not.

Enchanted Castle is only 15 minutes from my hometown, so that will be a must!

-Mark

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

That's sad!
Another one of my favorite hangouts closed forever! I was told that Data East tested their pins there as well? Honestly, at that time (late '80s), I was more into vids. That place had an *incredible* arcade.....

Yeah. I started going there in the early-mid 90's, and I remember it still being pretty good then. I wasn't into pinball, though, so I don't have any memories of specifics.

I caught the pinball bug in 2003-2004, and by that time, the place still had a lot of video games (mostly drivers) and redemption crap, but only a couple beat-up pins, and was pretty dead. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. I first noticed it was closed while driving to the Chicagoland Show at Pheasant Run about three months ago; there was a large "For Sale" sign in front.

Here's some more info:
http://forums.arcade-museum.com/archive/index.php/t-233712.html

-Mark

#41 11 years ago

I actually would have liked to see what Galaxy World north looked like. I pass it on my way to work and home every day. I was going to go in there and check out Junk Yard and South Park (which I saw listed online) but by the time I decided to go it was already closed for good. It sounds like they had similar decor and murals to the Naperville location.

The Naperville location is a shell of its former self. Its full of redemption games, a few shooting games, cranes, and broken air hockey tables. The two pins they have need work, one of them usually isnt even on because the DMD and most lights don't work. The only cool part about it is that the old decor remains, and the room that used to house the pinballs (wood walls, stained glass) is still there. I always liked the late 70s/early 80s murals. Still makes me remember how it once was. My sister sent me a pic of part of one of the murals the other day when she stopped by. Unfortunately they have put a bunch of cranes in front of it so its pretty much covered up. Here is the picture she sent....

IMAG1436.jpgIMAG1436.jpg

#42 11 years ago

Three more machines have been added (LOTR, Dale Jr and another POTC) with another 6 on the way (don't know which ones) for a grand total of 18 machines, is what Ken the manager stated. He also mentioned something about having lunch specials tied in with pinball eventually. The remaining 6 could be added as early as this weekend, but by next weekend for sure.

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from Bomba:

Three more machines have been added (LOTR, Dale Jr and another POTC) with another 6 on the way (don't know which ones) for a grand total of 18 machines, is what Ken the manager stated. He also mentioned something about having lunch specials tied in with pinball eventually. The remaining 6 could be added as early as this weekend, but by next weekend for sure.

I think it is fair to ask....What the h$ll is going on over there? This is fantastic! Has anyone had a chance to ask him what has changed to spark the resurgence? I'd be curious. Looks like Pinside get-togethers have a new location now...

#44 11 years ago

did Ken happen to mention what the other 6 were going to be?

#45 11 years ago

i think it would be safe to say that this would be a way to keep the parents in the place longer. if the parents are bored they will be less likely to give the kids anymore money to play the games. if they have something to keep them there also then they are likely to give the kids more money to play.

that is what i would think at least.

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from Goonie:

Has anyone had a chance to ask him what has changed to spark the resurgence?

When I arrived at lunch today, he was just standing at the arcade entrance staring at all the machines, like in awe. He mentioned that he is a pinball fan and a while back they had a few machines, but they were stashed in the back corner and didn't do well. He said he eventually wanted to get more of an old school arcade feeling going, along with some arcade cabinets, all in one central location.

Quoted from KingPinGames:

did Ken happen to mention what the other 6 were going to be?

He did not know which ones, but as someone previously mentioned, he said they will be older machines than what's currently there. He did ask which older machines are still popular, but I don't know if he has any control over what is coming in.

#47 11 years ago

Hopefully a RBION isnt out of the question, thats not too old but not new either. I'd assume since they are working with Stern buying all these machines that they will all be Stern. I was going to stop by after work today but the weather quickly changed my mind. Tomorrow hopefully!

#48 11 years ago

Thought I'd add the latest view.

WP_20130208_12_27_01_Panorama.jpgWP_20130208_12_27_01_Panorama.jpg

#49 11 years ago

I'll be stoppin by after work today, work in Bloomingdale/ Glendale Heights.

#50 11 years ago

I loved Galaxy World(Naperville)! I went there all throughout the 90's. It was where I first played Twilight Zone! I think I also have a picture of the murial too but its in storage somewhere.

I remember when Mortal Kombat II came out they had like 4 machines.

There is a pretty cool arcade here in K.C. which just opened up like a month ago. Unfortunately there are no pins but they have about 40 arcade games. It's also a movie theater call Screenland Crossroads.

I keep prodding the owner to get some pinballs in. He is thinking about it but is limited in space.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

$ 1,059.00
9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Charlotte, NC
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 12.95
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

6,887 (OBO)
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Frisco, CO
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 149.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 281 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/9-pinball-machines-added-to-enchanted-castle-in-lombard-il-west-burbs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.