• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Williams_Taxi_-_Spinout.png
#1 15 years ago

I have 3 machines now and Taxi is definately still my favorite. I like the Williams system 11's because there is lots of parts for the mechanics for the machine, NOS and remanufactured. They are pretty simple machines, and if something goes wrong with them, you can fix them yourself, or learn how to pretty quick! AND they are fun to play! I have a Taxi, Police Force and Fishtales and play them in that order. My taxi is a Marilyn version and I have looked on the internet for hours and hours and still can't really find out too much manufacturing details about the machine. All I could find is that there was about 7-8000 total machine made. 1-2000 were Marilyns and most of them were sent out of country (US) because Williams sent early production machines overseas and out of country first before the suppliers to the US. They did this with EVERY model of machine they made. Also with alot of production machines, they were 'secretive' on production amounts! They would have serial numbers start out a certain number, then they would totally change the number so if you were to log the numbers in sequence, there was no real pattern. To confuse competetors? I don't know. Don't really know how that would benefit a company keeping production amounts secretive? Maybe for a collectors factor, but other than that it doesn't make sense to me. If people are buying the machine you make more! If this machine were to be worth some money some day? Who knows. I collect and restore machines for my own personal enjoyment, not to make money.
Anyways, I have restored my Taxi to near mint, and have done a few mods to it. I put a video of it on Youtube if you want to have a peek. I took the traffic light mod off of it since the video because I didn't really think it suited the game properly. It was always on and I hacked it into the power supply board. Just wanted to keep the machine real, with no hacks, and I didn't like it anyways. This machine will be a keeper for me FOR SURE!
Once you restore your playfield, just keep it waxed once in awhile. I use pure CARANUBA wax. I have a bottle of that Mother's pure Caranuba wax, and it works awesome! Everyone will have their own opinion on what to use for playfield cleaners and wax, but all I do is dust the playfield with a very damp cloth, then I wax it. WAX ON WAX OFF! Just like the Karate Kid movie and the game KICKS ASS! Lightning fast play and looks great! A good final touch is to get a new piece of tempered playfield glass too. You can get a new piece for anywhere from 30-60 bucks. I live in a bigger city and there is lots of local glass guys here to shop from.
Good luck on all your restoring! I enjoy it and it's rewarding as well!
Here's the link to my video on Youtube make sure you watch it in HQ! (click on the high quality button on the video!)

#2 15 years ago

Thats an interesting story about the Marilyn version of Taxi jbscar I'll have to keep my eye out next time I see one - never played it yet it's got a good rating 8.2 ?,
whats with that 'spin out' skill shot I read about on the IPD? any tricks to get it?
I wonder how many pins were exported out of the U.S. in general 40% maybe higher?
now and then you come across large shipments for sale back to the States.
I was told the best re-imports were the ones from Germany ,
my Super Soccer was from Germany and is in fantastic shape I guess they did good maintenance on pins.

#3 15 years ago

I recently watched that 'TILT the battle to save pinball" DVD. Its pretty interesting. They have a segment with interviews from EX Williams employees on there and they all said that a big chunk of Williams sales were with this company from Germany (30-40%?), so they would ship all the first production machines mostly there and elsewhere overseas first before anywhere else. There is a factory tour and lots of other cool info on there too! I would recommend buying the dvd for sure if you are a pinball freak like me.
As for the spinout skill shot in my Taxi game. Well you have to have the plunger and the first ramp that carries the ball to the spinout in a perfect alignment in order to get good revolutions on the ball in the spinout, but good luck on that. Usually you just have to shoot the ball as hard as you can to get the top spinout score! I found out that operators were putting plungers with a sharp point on the tip of them so you couldn't hit the plunger with your palm as hard as you could to get the top spinout score. They did that cuz the spinout ramps would get badly damaged from 'palming' the plunger. I am not sure if Williams did this or if it was an aftermarket thing from somone else?! I know that this "hit the ball as hard as you can if you want to pierce your palm feature' was on quite a few pinball games that I have played.

3 years later
#4 11 years ago

Bump

Does anyone know if this person on pinside anymore or the person that bought this pin a pinside member? Also I trying to find this traffic light mod as seen on utube.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from MNpinballplayer:

Bump
Does anyone know if this person on pinside anymore or the person that bought this pin a pinside member? Also I trying to find this traffic light mod as seen on utube.

I remember this guy used to post on the future pinball website. I believe he created that mod himself and bought the lights off ebay. If thats the same guy.

2 years later
#7 8 years ago

I would really love to own a Taxi machine. I never knew how much I loved it until I started playing it in Pinball Arcade. The fact that it is both straightforward, and yet challenging makes it awesome. I do have a question regarding the aforementioned Spinout skill shot.

Williams Taxi - Spinout.pngWilliams Taxi - Spinout.png

Maybe this is a glitch with the video game version that isn't apparent in the actual machine, although the Pinball Arcade people are pretty solid at not letting little details slide.

Why would one ever go for anything other than the 100,000 point skill shot? Pull the plunger back all they way and let go. 100k on ball one, 200k on ball two and 300k on ball three, plus any time you lock a ball in the right side chute, you get to launch again for the same points.

I have read some posts that say if you pull too hard on the plunger, the skill shot reverts all the way back to the 1k mark, but that's not true on the digital version of the machine. I have also read other posts where people are trying for other numbers on purpose like the 25k which includes spot a passenger. Why? 25k + a 20k tip for Gorbie or Pinbot is still only 45k.

Insight? Ideas? I am very curious about this. I have played the real machine, but not for many, many years.

Thanks.

#8 8 years ago

Way to bump up a thread from 6 years ago. Probably should have just started a new one.

If you plunge to hard it starts back at 1k and starts climbing again.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from MinnPin:

I have read some posts that say if you pull too hard on the plunger, the skill shot reverts all the way back to the 1k mark, but that's not true on the digital version of the machine. I have also read other posts where people are trying for other numbers on purpose like the 25k which includes spot a passenger. Why? 25k + a 20k tip for Gorbie or Pinbot is still only 45k.
Insight? Ideas? I am very curious about this. I have played the real machine, but not for many, many years.
Thanks.

Yeah, that's it. If you pull too hard, it's *supposed* to go back to 1K, but most are so poorly maintained, they can barely get to 100k, so you always put it on max blast and hope it gets up there. Going *over* can happen in the real game. If it doesn't in the digital version, that's an error.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from MinnPin:

I would really love to own a Taxi machine. I never knew how much I loved it until I started playing it in Pinball Arcade. The fact that it is both straightforward, and yet challenging makes it awesome. I do have a question regarding the aforementioned Spinout skill shot.
Williams Taxi - Spinout.png
Maybe this is a glitch with the video game version that isn't apparent in the actual machine, although the Pinball Arcade people are pretty solid at not letting little details slide.
Why would one ever go for anything other than the 100,000 point skill shot? Pull the plunger back all they way and let go. 100k on ball one, 200k on ball two and 300k on ball three, plus any time you lock a ball in the right side chute, you get to launch again for the same points.
Thanks.

Plunging is one of the worst physics applications in the Pinball Arcade - some light plunges can rocket the ball, and some full ones do barely anything at all. I would not rely on Pinball Arcade to represent a real machine when it comes to nuances.

Also, some may want to go for 25,000 plus Pick Up Passenger - it usually awards you PinBot. Lock the ball, hit 25,000 again, pick up another passenger. You're then well on your way to the jackpot. Why settle for 100,000?

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from MinnPin:

I have read some posts that say if you pull too hard on the plunger, the skill shot reverts all the way back to the 1k mark, but that's not true on the digital version of the machine.

I play The digital Pinball Arcade Taxi very often and it always reverts to $1k if you pull the plunger too hard, not sure why it's not doing the same for you. I use the IOS (iPad) version.

#12 8 years ago

On a well set up physical game, it's very easy to go not only past 100,000 and back to 1,000; you can go all the way around several times on a full plunge.
And yes, picking up a passenger can be a good choice in working toward a jackpot. Big points right away is not always the best choice.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from Multiball1:

I play The digital Pinball Arcade Taxi very often and it always reverts to $1k if you pull the plunger too hard, not sure why it's not doing the same for you. I use the IOS (iPad) version.

I just played around with it this morning (digital version) and noticed something. If you pull the shooter rod all the way back and just simply let it go, then it sometimes will not pass 100k. However, if you pull the shooter rod back 1/2 or 3/4 way hold it there, and just before releasing it, pull it back just slightly and let go. You'll find by doing that it's actually hard to not blow past the 100k mark. If necessary I'll be happy to shoot a video for you, but give it a try first. This is an amazing game on the pinball arcade (actually has me back in the market to purchase the real thing for the 2nd time) and it's a shame to not have the control you want for such an important "skill shot."

Let me know how it goes.

#14 8 years ago

Thanks for all of the awesome responses. My version of it is for the PC, and I can just pull back all the way and it always, 100% of the time, gets me the 100k, but I see the argument for pickup passenger -- especially Pinbot who is tough to get. Damn robot. If he wants a ride, he should stand somewhere that a cabbie can see him.

Like Multiball1 said -- the PB Arcade version makes me want to own the real one too.

** Another issue the PB arcade has, and this is true of every machine -- it has no ability to account for a ball that lifts slightly off the playfield. Like when a ball hits something hard and actually pops up. This changes the dynamics entirely. Pinball Arcade only handles the physics of a ball rolling on the surface.

PS - You're welcome that I rebooted a thread from six years ago. It seems to have worked and why not keep all like information on one thread? Why have 100 threads scattered all over with one particular grouping of information. That makes no sense to me, unless you get kicks out of making it harder to find information.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 109.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 22.50
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-taxi?hl=scarby and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.