• Taxi Williams, 1988

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4099 (resized).JPG
IMG_4067 (resized).JPG
IMG_4066 (resized).JPG
IMG_4098 (resized).JPG
IMG_4097 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinRetail.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 7 months ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Thanks for the info. I've always found on Home service calls this can be an extremely frustrating and time consuming issue on taxi.s.
I've tried loosening the shooter mech and putting a washer or penny under the bottom of the shooter housing so it faces downward slightly hitting the ball after tightening. I've had great results with this. Once almost 2+complete revolutions consistently.spun like hell lol.
They also sell a magnetic reed switch which negates the microswitch and have heard will add 2-3 spins. I haven't tried this yet.

THIS.

The consistent problem with games this age is that the shooter rod will hit the ball too high, instead of at the center of the ball. Angling the shooter rod mechanism by putting a washer outside the game, at the bottom of the housing, will properly align the shooter rod with the exact center of the ball.

The guy who was talking about the metal fingers to either side of the shooter rod plunger is correct also. The ball has to rest in the correct spot.

The playfield itself frequently has an eighth of an inch push either way... it needs to be aligned so that the plunger exactly hits the center of the ball. I sometimes will put small 'shims' on the left or right side of the inside of the cabinet that force the playfield when you lower it to fit only where the ball is in good alignment left and right.

Finally, I am a BIG FAN of the magnetic switches. Great product, buy with confidence that you are getting the best stuff that you can put in your pinball.

I'm very interested in the original poster's findings that having the shooter rod just a bit off center up and to the left got a more reliable strike. Maybe I haven't done enough fine tuning, because it's been my experience that a dead center strike is what get's me reliable results.

Largely because the shooter rod housing and sleeve on these pinballs have quite a bit of slop. Turn the rod with the shaft extended and the tip will frequently move several millimeters off of true center. And if that is a couple millimeters either way, putting it dead center in the middle ends up being my best compromise.

This was a great thread. Thanks to the original poster for making me want to look a lot closer at my next taxi shooter rod alignment!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 109.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 22.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinRetail.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-1988-taxi-tuning-of-the-shooter-lane-spin-out-skill-shot?tu=PinRetail and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.