You

Linked Games

• Magic Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Which Wire Goes Where (resized).png
20240323_153436 (resized).jpg
20240323_153657 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ShadowFlame76.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 33 days ago

While having my Stern Magic pinball machine serviced for no featured lights. Which looks like it was a bridge rectifier problem. The connectors on the power rectifier board were repinned.

But for some reason when turning it on after it was repinned a diode on the solenoid driver board blew on the high voltage area. The tech looked at that as well and noticed that there were two wires coming from I think he said the "high voltage return "a green and orange wire that weren't going anywhere just kind of loose.

They may have touched metal therefore blowing the diode. I have no idea why 2 wires would be coming out of the high voltage area and going into a connector and then going nowhere.

I have a attached pictures. I'm assuming this isn't stock from the factory. Does anyone know why this would even be done?

Currently the high voltage solenoid driver board is with the tech to have the diode replaced. Hopefully it won't be long to have that replaced and have new bridge rectifiers put on the power rectifier board.

20240323_153436 (resized).jpg20240323_153436 (resized).jpg20240323_153657 (resized).jpg20240323_153657 (resized).jpg
#4 32 days ago
Quoted from newovad:

Welcome to pinball redundancy. The orange and green wires in your second picture are from J1 on the solenoid board. Did you trace those wires? They should be connected to the flipper coils. They are what give them power. I believe in your other thread you said the flippers were working. So, no concerns with that connector. These are not the same orange and green wires that are cut in the connector from your first photo.
That's the 24 pin connector for the display board and it also has an orange wire and a green wire. But, those are aren't coming from the solenoid board (A3). These wires are coming from either the Lamp Board (A5) or the Transformer/Rectifier (A2). In this case, the cut wires are from A2. They also happen to be another redundancy. As you can see in the picture, the second set (the cut ones) help share the load with another set of wires.
I'm not an expert on this next part but I assume if you are running LEDs, you are probably fine with just the one set. Otherwise, you may want to get that repinned and reconnected.
[quoted image]

Wow! thank you for the detailed information. It will help me understand how to troubleshoot

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 69.00
Machine - For Sale
Des Moines, IA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ShadowFlame76.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-are-these-wires-like-this?tu=ShadowFlame76 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.