Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,029 posts
  • 173 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 hours ago by jrcmlc
  • Topic is favorited by 71 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240427_092324 (resized).jpg
    C909CE6F-B35B-4857-885B-446961C29E90 (resized).jpeg
    26EE53F1-C2D6-4AA3-A9E7-927B517BF12F (resized).jpeg
    7FB30C36-20EB-454A-805B-0F8EC7EBD960 (resized).jpeg
    4E1E9F59-52BD-4FF1-B8A1-8ECEB4121F07 (resized).jpeg
    CE18A286-33FF-49E9-800F-00358678494F (resized).jpeg
    20BA4169-86B0-40D8-9400-F2A0649D3B8A (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2024-04-23 at 8.53.15 PM (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_9193 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9187 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9191 (resized).jpeg
    20240408_161419 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8961 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    mojo (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jaybird815.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1668 11 months ago
    IMG_2410 (resized).jpegIMG_2410 (resized).jpeg
    #1682 11 months ago

I only buy chickens from an Amish farm that they carry at the local grocery store. Twice as expensive but 10 times better.

2 weeks later
    #1805 10 months ago

140 degrees on a Filet?

#1820 10 months ago

Father’s Day/Birthday present from the wife, it’s a beautiful grill.

IMG_2466 (resized).jpegIMG_2466 (resized).jpegIMG_2468 (resized).jpegIMG_2468 (resized).jpeg
    #1823 10 months ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Are the chromy looking bits real chrome or plasticky shi*? Looks real nice!

It’s solid, made down the street from Pinball Life.

#1825 10 months ago

One of my favorite things to smoke, core it and fill it with bacon, onion and BBQ sauce mixture. Put pads of butter on it every so often.

IMG_2476 (resized).jpegIMG_2476 (resized).jpeg
    #1827 10 months ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

I will try that.it looks Good.

Cook times will vary wildly depending on size, use a skewer to test doneness. Typically 2 1/2-4 hours at around 250. Make an aluminum foil ring for a cabbage stand.

#1831 10 months ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

I need a bigger smoker for bigger cooks. This leads to a question…
    Have you guys a separate smoking/grilling unit for occasions you have bigger events/parties from your everyday grill/smoking unit?
    I don’t have a lot of parties, but when it happens… it’s not fun trying to manage it all with a small smoker.
    [quoted image]

I have 3 Webers now, lol. And a flattop. Personally I wouldn’t get anything bigger if it’s rarely needed. You look like you did just fine!

1 week later
    #1872 9 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:Love Blue's Hog sauces. Simply the best IMO. I'm sure their charcoal is good, but Rockwood is my go to.

This one’s my favorite

IMG_2534 (resized).jpegIMG_2534 (resized).jpeg
    #1874 9 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

It's good, but my fave is always the OG one, but many love the raspberry version.
    What do you use the Tennesse Red on? I found best for chicken, and Blues Hog other products best for pork.

I use it on chicken and also for a finishing sauce on pulled pork. I’m a vinegar based sauce guy.

1 week later
    #1924 9 months ago

Brine then Spatchcock is the best way to smoke a chicken.

1 week later
    #1993 9 months ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

My guilty pleasure as of recent has been the Aldi's tri-tips; they come pre-seasoned (which I normally would NEVER buy), and are a decent buy at $3.99-$4.99/lb. The seasoning isn't overly salty, and is pretty good, really. I usually get a big roast for about $15. I throw them on the smoker for an hour or so at 250, pull at 125 degrees, crank the BBE to wide open while the roast rests, then sear it for a couple of minutes until there is a nice crust.
    It's not going to be SRF quality, but for the money, it makes a very nice Saturday/Sunday dinner.

Love me some tri-tip, store by be has been carrying prime for $7.99/lb. I’ve been living off it lately. I crank the 4 burner Blackstone for about an hour, seer then into the Weber at 475 until 120 degrees, tent and rest for 30 minutes. Make sure to slice properly, the grain runs 2 ways. Love me some tri-tip.

1 week later
    #2015 8 months ago

Unexpected day off, so Ribs on the Weber.

IMG_2646 (resized).jpegIMG_2646 (resized).jpeg
    #2016 8 months ago

One of my favorite BBQ tools, I love drinking beer next to the grill and shooting any flies foolish enough to land in the vicinity.

IMG_2647 (resized).jpegIMG_2647 (resized).jpeg

#2019 8 months ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

I've got one of these Bug-A-Salt guns , love it !

I use it to season and tenderize.

1 week later
    #2087 8 months ago

All grown in town.

IMG_2667 (resized).jpegIMG_2667 (resized).jpeg
    #2088 8 months ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Yes I highly reccomend not wasting any trim if you can help it.
    Anyway, here's what i have on the grill today: tacos el pastor! Been wanting to try this for a while so I guess today is the day. Unfortunately I can't clear the top of my grill with the whole pineaple top on it so this picture was strictly just to look cool. Toward the end of the cook I'll be throwing some pineapple on the kettle grill to get it charred up, along with my tortillas. I have a bunch of fresh onion and cilantro and some nice salsa I made for toppings. Another 2 hrs or so to go until I get to try them!
    [quoted image][quoted image]

I love El Pastor, I’ve always wanted do one myself, but there are a couple of authentic places in Joliet that do a better job than I could ever do. I love El Pastor.

2 weeks later
    #2134 7 months ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

They trimmed yours a hell of a lot better than they did mine. Mine had lots of hard fat. It passed the sniff test. Gonna be a long night.

You still alive?

#2135 7 months ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

My experience is that 250 is just fine and saves you hours.

Especially after it’s wrapped.

1 week later
    #2211 7 months ago

Grabbed a bottle of this, it was on sale. I’m out of my homemade rib rub so I figured I’d give it a try. I’ll report back later with pics and a review. Using the 3-2-1 method.
    IMG_2722 (resized).jpegIMG_2722 (resized).jpeg

#2216 7 months ago

I mop a vinegar based sauce the last hour. If I’m going dry rub only, I don’t use the Texas Crutch. You’re basically boiling/steaming them when wrapping so you won’t get a great bark anyways. I love Ribs either way.

#2218 7 months ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

Yes sir… makes sense. my kids are used to softer texture meats that fall off the bone. Hence, wrapping it up and not applying sauce.
    Love the addition of smoke applied. My wife actually tried to use liquid smoke to a pork tenderloin in the pressure cooker.
    Dear lord… I threw the liquid smoke away… I’m sure refinement could improve that, but dang it’s an odd flavor punch not remotely close to what smoking units provide.

Liquid smoke is ridiculously potent, a drop or two usually gets a subtle smoke flavor.

#2221 7 months ago

Threw on some marinated chicken thighs at the 3 hour mark to keep the wife at bay.

IMG_2723 (resized).jpegIMG_2723 (resized).jpeg
    #2222 7 months ago

Chicken turned out delicious, marinated in a homemade balsamic vinaigrette for 10 hours. Big hit, no leftovers.

IMG_2724 (resized).jpegIMG_2724 (resized).jpeg
    #2225 7 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Lately when we go through a jar of dill pickles I use the brine to brine chicken for a couple days. I rinse them oven bake. Kids love it, tastes like Chic fill a

Vinegar does wonderful things to chicken

#2226 7 months ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

Those thighs looked amazing. Love the unique marinade that is non-traditional.
    The thighs I get are usually one plumpy piece.. seems each piece is much wider… did you debone the thighs before marinading??

The neighborhood grocer sources them locally, they debone in house. Still cheaper than breast or wing.

5 months later
    #2925 61 days ago

Can’t let a 70 degree February day in the Chicago area go to waste.

IMG_2953 (resized).jpegIMG_2953 (resized).jpeg
    #2926 60 days ago

Can’t let a 70 degree February day in the Chicago area go to waste. Part 2.

IMG_2959 (resized).jpegIMG_2959 (resized).jpeg
    2 weeks later
    #2940 42 days ago

Locally sourced Duroc

IMG_3010 (resized).jpegIMG_3010 (resized).jpeg
    #2943 41 days ago
    Quoted from Soapman:

Just a little bacon today.
    [quoted image]

I’ve always wanted to try this, did you cure for 7 days? And what temp are you smoking at?

2 weeks later
    #2963 27 days ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Smoking a turkey in the BGE today. Pray for me...

Baking Powder=crispy skin

#2968 27 days ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

Tell me more please

If you want crispy poultry skin while smoking, dry the hell out of the bird with paper towels. With wings, place on a rack and put in fridge uncovered for at least a few hours or overnight. Add baking powder to whatever rub/seasoning mix you use. Food science!

#2994 23 days ago

Wait, how the hell can USDA choice be Prime Rib?
    Prime Rib is called that because it is USDA Prime, Ribeye.

3 weeks later
    #3022 2 days ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

Kind of long question
    I normally cook GFS jumbo chicken wings on my Weber kettle with a Vortex of charcoal and two hickory chunks.Usually I season the night before with Holy Voodoo or Plowboy.I got some Hermanaki sauce from the Ale Imporium in Indianapolis.I want to emphasize the sauce and not sure what approach I should take?

Like Vid said baste last 15 minutes, I’d also toss in the sauce after their done.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jaybird815.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-ya-smoking?tu=Jaybird815 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.