(Topic ID: 353674)

What's the scam here and why is PayPal support useless?

By boscokid

38 days ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 38 days ago by Grizlyrig
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8k18du (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Phoerber.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 38 days ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Got a $93 transfer from somebody I never heard of
    The next day I get a PayPal message from sender claiming they sent it to me in error and asking if I would send it back
    I ignore this message and sender opens a dispute with PayPal
    I respond to the dispute:
    March 12, 2024 at 5:34:05 AM PDT
    You provided additional info.
    Hi - I don't know this person, never did business with this person and certainly didn't expect to receive $93 from them, HOWEVER with the amount of fraud online I do not plan on responding to an unsolicited message from a stranger asking me to send them $93 either. If PayPal wants to cancel this transaction and return THEIR ORIGINAL FUNDS to THEIR ORIGINAL FUNDING SOURCE that is OK with me but I do not expect anything from my credit card or bank account to be sent which would expose me to fraud.
    Yesterday I get this from PayPal:
    We've decided the case in your favor
    If there was a hold on this transaction, it has been removed.
    I imagine this $93 will eventually disappear from my account after a credit card or bank dispute but was a little shocked they would find 'in my favor' when I am not disputing anything and not contesting the original dispute. FWIW I did change my password immediately and googled the associated email address and it only hits on two suspicious aggregator sites so if it was a real address it surely hasn't been widely distributed.

Friends - This is absolutely textbook on how a sitch such as this should be handled.

Well played boscokid !!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Phoerber.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-s-the-scam-here-and-why-is-paypal-support-useless?tu=Phoerber and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.