(Topic ID: 339750)

What is your favourite decade in pinball?

By Nintegageo

9 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Your favourite decade in pinball?”

• 1960s 1 vote
      1%
    • 1970s 9 votes
      7%
    • 1980s 33 votes
      27%
    • 1990s 59 votes
      48%
    • 2000s 1 vote
      1%
    • 2010 9 votes
      7%
    • 2020s 11 votes
      9%

(123 votes)

#1 9 months ago

Mine's the 90s. Love the weird themes, DMD screens and cool toys. Designers were really able to get creative at this point and they really went wild.

#2 9 months ago

Can I go from 1975-1985

That covers a lot of my favorites then.

#3 9 months ago

70s solid state with no voices only chimes

Added 92 days ago:

70 to 80 classics the time machines that take me back to the good old days

#4 9 months ago

80's which covers a wide range from fairly simple single level games to more complex games with ramps & multiple levels and voice.

Galaxy, Meteor, Alien Star, Seawitch, Centaur, Flash Gordon, Quicksilver, Blackout, Time Machine, Torpedo Alley, Black Hole..

#5 9 months ago

My favorite era of pins to play would be the 80's, followed by the 90's. If I went to a huge location and was limited to playing pins from just one era it would be 80's just because of the diversity and challenge of that era of games.

Now if the question was what my favorite era of pins to own in my collection of 12, if I had to limit my collection to a single era it would be the 2010's. For home I need more depth and deeper rule-sets to focus on. If my collection consisted of a dozen 80's games I think i would get old fairly quick and I would have to churn through games much more often then if I had a collection of a dozen 2010-2019 games.

#6 9 months ago

2010 - 2020

Everything changed when JJP entered the game. Pinball has been elevated thanks to JJP and their existence led to Stern changing for the better. RGB lighting, the use of LCD screens as main displays, and for the most part a return to more loaded games occurred.

#7 9 months ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

My favorite era of pins to play would be the 80's, followed by the 90's.

I struggled choosing between these two. It would have been easier if I could choose 85-95 - probably because that aligns to my teenage and early 20's, but that's not the point of the poll.

-Rob
    -visit https://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my Replacement Skee Computer

#8 9 months ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

2010 - 2020
    Everything changed when JJP entered the game. Pinball has been elevated thanks to JJP and their existence led to Stern changing for the better. RGB lighting, the use of LCD screens as main displays, and for the most part a return to more loaded games occurred.

Honestly, LCDs happen regardless, but JJP did do it first.

#9 9 months ago

I grew up playing the SS in the late 70's and early 80's. I have very fond memories of that era and it is where my nostalgia lies. With that said, I bought Stern SAM era. They are reliable, repairable, deep code, incredible lighting, fast, somewhat affordable (minus Tron/Metallica LEs), and they are just a blast to play.

I felt almost guilty for not going with the pins of my youth because nostalgia runs very deep within my veins, but then I asked myself, "Which game would I have chosen back when I was 10 if they were side by side to each other?" Price was also a factor. Being new to the hobby, I missed all of the sweet deals on late 70's/80's B/W machines. The prices for restored/clean SS machines are creeping up toward those earlier Sterns, which outside of nostalgia is hard to justify. Based on those two tidbits, it sealed the deal on my decision. I am half-and-half between the 2000's and 2010's but I voted 2010.

#10 9 months ago

You left out my fave; 1950's.

#11 9 months ago

No love for the flipperless era???

I'll take my Bally Rocket and go home.

Its too hard for me to pick because I love them all, but I do have a soft spot for the super old timers. Ive had 2 flipperless games and working on them is like a type of therapy for me, even though Ive done restos and shops on all eras. I know people will shit all over them for game play compared to modern games, but using the cargument approach if I had to pick between having a model T or a Lamborghini I'd pick the T all day!. Im 40 going on 90 over here.

#12 9 months ago

Torn between 70s and 90s.

Turned 13 in '77, arcades were everywhere. Experienced the transition from em's to solid state, vivid memories of playing several games from that era.

90's, well, 'nuff said.

#13 9 months ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Can I go from 1975-1985

This!

#14 9 months ago

For me, I don't break them down by decade, but by display (mostly). To me its:

EM Light
    EM Reel
    Numeric
    Alpha Numeric
    DMD-2000
    DMD-2000+
    LCD
    Special Cases (P3, PB2000)
    Broken down in this way, even though it is before my time, I rate Alpha Numeric as my favorite. Alpha Numeric (A/N) pins have alot to keep you coming back and you don't really "beat" them. With modern pins, I lose alot of my interest when I "beat" the game getting to the final wizard mode, and they tend to play WAY longer. Here are a few 5 pine lineups and how I'd rank them.
    1. Whirlwind, Cyclone, Funhouse, Swords of Fury, Taxi
    2. Addams, Medieval Madness, Twilight Zone, STTNG, Fish Tales
    3. Godzilla, Elvira's House of Horrors, Deadpool, Iron Maiden, Star Wars
    4. Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Ripley's Believe it or Not, Stern Star Trek, Game of Thrones
    5. Eight Ball Deluxe, Sorcerer, Firepower, Black Knight, Xenon

If you had to nail me down on a decade, it would be 1987-1997

#15 9 months ago

I say the 90s and my second is right now the 2020s

#16 9 months ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Can I go from 1975-1985

I'd go with this^^^

It's a hard question to answer because pinball eras don't necessarily align with the calendar.

#17 9 months ago

Until 2012/2013 and AC/DC-MET duo I would have said 90s but now I'd go with the 2010 decade because its when Stern really got their act together and pinball started to recover and then a bunch of new companies joined the fun.

Stern was considered the weakling compared to WPC in the 2000s even though they showed life with LOTR and SM. They also had CSI, NBA, 24, and WOF and almost died.

By 2019 they were clearly the best and could compete with the remakes.

However I am glad I don't have to build a collection based on 1 decade.

#18 9 months ago

We are getting close to the 100 year birthday of the flipper. I wonder if people will make pinball machines for another 100 years and how much the game will evolve. Holographic screens with vestibular stimulation for the tilt warnings?? Let’s go!

#19 9 months ago

Definitely the 90s, the pinnacle of pinball imo. Those games are super fun, not too complicated and are loaded with toys.

Modern games with super deep rules and lcd screens doesn't really do it for me.

#20 9 months ago

I'm with SantaEatsCheese, a better breakdown is by technology, though I'd put DMD's separate from Alpha Numeric.

The best pinball company making the best machines historically, was Bally/Williams from Funhouse to Cactus Canyon. So, 1990-1999.

The sheer quantity of amazing machines made during that era is unparalleled.

However, I'd say that the new Sterns are actually better machines when considered from a home use perspective as well as a coin-op perspective.

So my answer is 2020's.

#21 9 months ago

Mid to late 90s because that's when I was in the arcade. Some of those games have truly stood the test of time.

Otherwise, 2010s to present for the depth if I was limited to one decade.

I love me some 80s pins as well, though.

Just a loaded question.

#22 9 months ago

1970’s EMs. It’s what I grew up with, and that’s when the pinnacle of that technology was reached, IMO. Wonderful chime sounds (I even like the clunky Williams chimes), three-inch flippers, generally a good amount to shoot at, and reasonable ball/game times (especially when competing).

#23 9 months ago

I agree with 1975-1985. So many tough as nails classics!

#24 9 months ago

I vote 80s because of huge changes in what an average game looked like from early to late 80s if you put a lcd on some late 80s games it could pass as new.

#25 9 months ago

Hard to choose between '70s and '80s, which is also because late EM and early SS feel similar in play and rules.

'50s and '60s for artwork though. Art Stenholm would be on my pinball Mt. Rushmore.

#26 9 months ago

I love the crazy innovative design choices of the early 80s. This video is a hommage to that.

Also, I really dig the System 11 generation and the quirky Gottliebs that got made during the same time. And Data East had their finest hour when they just started out.

So yeah. Without a doubt the 80s for me.

#27 9 months ago

the 80's
    Solid State has found itself and designers and programmers are moving ahead in leaps and bounds
    You start the decade with Black Knight, and you finish with Mousin' Around

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-your-favourite-decade-in-pinball?hl=wolverinetuner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.