• Latest reply 7 years ago by zaza
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WCS2 (resized).PNG
WCS1 (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PhilGreg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Hello,
I'm trying to troubleshoot a relative's WCS '94.
Here's what's wrong with it and what I think the issues might be. I have limited time to work on it so I'd like to try and get my story straight here before I go back there.
1- Goalie drive not working. I went to the solenoid test for the Goalie Drive. I'm checking with my DMM on both lugs of the motor and I'm getting 15v on both (grounding one DMM wire, the other wire to either lug of the motor). The resistance (connected) is 20 Ohm. I unscrewed it to see if it's not the mechanism that's preventing it to move, but it's not budging. Seems to me like the motor's busted.
Now that I look at the diagram below, it looks like the voltage should be 20V. Is it normal that it would only get 15V, and if not, would that make it not move at all even with nothing on the cam?

2- The other problem(s) I'm thinking are all related to the same issue. Various solenoids have stopped working intermittently.
I've seen the left slingshot, the tv popper, the upper eject hole and the lock release coils not working, but not everything at the same time.
Right now it's only the upper eject hole.
I've tugged at all of the violet wires on the coils and everything looks pretty solid. Haven't had the time to check for continuity from one to the next but I'm leaning on the J130/J127 connectors that would need to be redone.

So what do you guys think?

Happy new year y'all!

Phil

WCS1 (resized).PNGWCS1 (resized).PNG
WCS2 (resized).PNGWCS2 (resized).PNG

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

1. Goalie
You found 15 Volt on both lugs of the motor which is correct when motor is not driven by driverboard.
Schematics show +20 Volt but also Gry-Yel wire and connection to J116-2 which is +12Vunr and mostly +/-15Volt.
When Goalie is driven, it should give 0 Volt and 15V on the lugs of the motor.
-Check Blu-Grn wire from powerdriver to motor EMI board, You can 'Ground' this signal at Q28 on the powerdriverboard or at the EMI board.
2. intermittent coils
- check fuse F105 (?), maybe oxidized or bad fuseclip.
- check wire Red/Blk from coil to coil
- re-seat ribbon cables

Thank you!
Didn't think of checking that for the goalie. Not sure what 12Vunr means though?

For the coils, it's more like one coil will completely go out and stop working while the others are fine, and the problem seems to move around. So I'd be surprised if it's the fuse, because then I'd think all or none would be working?
I don't think I have the time to take the board out but I'll maybe redo the female end of the J130 connector and I'll check continuity from one to the next on red/blk.

#6 7 years ago

Alright, problem solved, for now anyway.
So in coil test mode first I tried to ground the purple end of the malfunctioning coil, and that worked.
Then I tried to jumper the purple lug to the corresponding J130 pin and that wouldn't work (when I went there one of the malfunctioning coils was the kickback), so that pretty much ruled out that the issue was with the connector itself.
I tried setting the next coil to test mode instead and jumpered the lug of the kickback coil to its corresponding pin and that did it.
I reseated every ribbon cable and tried again - everything is working fine, including the goalie.
I wouldn't have thought about checking that if you hadn't told me zaza so many thanks to you my friend!

Not sure if the issues will come up again but if they do I now know what the issue is.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plantsville, CT
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Balt, MD
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PhilGreg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wcs-94-various-issues?tu=PhilGreg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.