Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Bugsy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

giphy (6).gif
    #1 4 months ago

Hi!

Is it not entirely wise to use a smaller rubber band size diameters ( ex: 3 1/2 instead of 4)
    For playfield kickers?

Thanks in advance!!

#2 4 months ago

Too big, and you won’t get the right rebound effect. Too small, and you’ll put unnecessary stress on the playfield posts which will deform and strip them out of their mounting holes over time. They are just screwed into the wood playfield surface.

#3 4 months ago

They're just called Rubbers; drop the bands.

#4 4 months ago

better to just order some Titan rings ....color makes the playfield look better and they are a bit smaller than the standard white bands

#5 4 months ago

Slingshots are usually true to size. I usually have several different sizes on hand and I'll try them if I think a smaller or larger rubber might be better. You'll know if that is the case.

#6 4 months ago
    Quoted from the9gman:

better to just order some Titan rings ....color makes the playfield look better and they are a bit smaller than the standard white bands

Not a fan of Titan nowadays. You stretch them and the colors fades out.

Perfect Play rings is good.

#7 4 months ago
    Quoted from the9gman:

Please, not on EMs at least...

#8 4 months ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

Please, not on EMs at least

especially on EM's ....why ? try an sell one nowdays, they are going the way of bingo's very fast ....the market is declining so in my book that makes EM's the new rat rods ....do with most of them as you see fit cause like bingo machines, they soon will be worth more as fire wood and copper recycling......there are only a few of them that are worth something so those I would keep in their natural state but as for the rest ....play the shit out of them and do with them what you want

#9 4 months ago

I like EMs

#10 4 months ago
    Quoted from AndyGarber:

Hi!
    Is it not entirely wise to use a smaller rubber band size diameters ( ex: 3 1/2 instead of 4)
    For playfield kickers?
    Thanks in advance!!

My Flip a Card calls for 3 1/2” rubbers on the 2 slingshots but plays much more lively with 3” rubbers on them. Not crazy bouncy, just perfect. With the 3 1/2” rubbers, it’s dull.

It depends on the game too and as Gotemwill said, don’t go too small or you’ll stress the post holes.

#11 4 months ago
    Quoted from the9gman:

especially on EM's ....why ? try an sell one nowdays,

EMs are still in demand around where I live. Selling prices more than doubled since the pandemic.

#12 4 months ago

Firewood must be expensive there.

#13 4 months ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Firewood must be expensive there.

Also wood that has lead paint on it isn't a good choice for firewood.

#14 4 months ago

Funny, I have modern sterns and EMs, the EMs get played more, are a bigger hit than the modern pins, but yeah, this guy has his finger on the pulse!
    B

#15 4 months ago
    Quoted from the9gman:

especially on EM's ....why ? try an sell one nowdays, they are going the way of bingo's very fast ....the market is declining so in my book that makes EM's the new rat rods ....do with most of them as you see fit cause like bingo machines, they soon will be worth more as fire wood and copper recycling......there are only a few of them that are worth something so those I would keep in their natural state but as for the rest ....play the shit out of them and do with them what you want

Thanks for the rant???

#16 4 months ago

Steve Kirk intentionally used smaller than normal rubbers on Stars and perhaps others. They go on real tight.

If you are using normal sizes there, you are doing it wrong. Or if you are not using real rubber like Marco's PRW on games that originally came with them, you are also doing it wrong

#17 4 months ago

Try both. You just need to find the size that is sensitive enough to activate the sling without causing machine gunning (repeatedly firing) or so weak that a ball grazing it doesn't activate it. You can give me any sling and I can find a great size and adjustment to make it play great, and I don't need a manual or anything else to tell me what to use.

#18 4 months ago
    Quoted from the9gman:

I prefer solid state, but a good EM can still be fun to play. Its a part of the history of pinball. sure they are slow, point totals are less, and ball times tend to be shorter, but if you are that narrow minded that you can't accept them at all as a part of the history of the pinball hobby, just go back to your COD video games, youngster. You haven't matured enough to be a valued contributor in our pinball community.

#19 4 months ago

If a rubber ring is too snug around a set of slingshot posts, I'll usually tug on the rubber on the slingshot side a little bit, and sometimes that's just enough to get things to work properly.

#20 4 months ago
    Quoted from the9gman:

People have been saying this for like the past 5 decades. *eye roll*

#21 4 months ago
    Quoted from the9gman:

giphy (6).gifgiphy (6).gif
    #22 4 months ago

I jumped a half inch down and it seems to work better. The game was a gottlieb fun park and the 6-7 lanes were just blocked from flipper shots below.
    I’ll leave the 4s on they aren’t too horrendous

#23 4 months ago
    Quoted from the9gman:

I agree that modding EM's might be cool but i haven't seen anyone do anything about it outside of adding asinine coloured LEDs. i would LOVE to see more passionate projects for modding EM's like the same love that SS and newer pinball machines get but i don't ever see that happening. However i think the rest of what you said is pretty idiotic. If not the words themselves posting it here was idiotic.

I think the OP's question was already answered and solved for that matter. I was just going to mention depending on the condition of the posts and the playfield sometimes adding a slightly smaller rubber then what's suggestion may be a benefit. however use discretion when doing so

#24 4 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

They're just called Rubbers; drop the bands.

Rings, not bands. Bands are flat. Rubber ring sets. Not rubber band sets.

#25 4 months ago
    Quoted from chad:

Not a fan of Titan nowadays. You stretch them and the colors fades out.

If you’re having discoloring issues, that’s user error, not the fault of Titan’s products. From the Titan website:

“ Important Notes:
    When installing flipper rubber you should always "unload" the tip. This means after the rubber is on the flipper bat, pinch the rubber and push it towards the tip of the flipper bat to slack the tip of the rubber as much as possible. Stretch it towards the tip until you see a visible gap between the tip of the flipper bat and the rubber. It will also help to rotate all of the rings once a month or so depending on the playing time.

The same method can be applied to slingshot rubber as well. I pre-stretch a little bit, then put the rubber on the sling posts and then pull 2 different sides at a time, repeatedly. The object would be to make the tension across the three posts as even as possible. Also, check the post groove for sharp corners. Star posts and metal posts can have sharp edges to the grooves that cut the “skin” of the silicone ring, and then they fail.”

I’ve got Titan rubbers on almost all of my games and they’re great. Following the instructions above, the rubbers work and look great!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/using-smaller-sized-rubber-bands?hl=texas_compadre and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.