(Topic ID: 348035)

TWIPY media categories removed, this is why we can’t have nice things!

By PantherCityPins

4 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you agree with removing the media categories from the Twipys?”

• Yes, there was too much toxicity around the awards. 30 votes
      13%
    • No, the categories should be kept the same regardless of any one person’s behavior. 112 votes
      48%
    • Who the hell cares, it’s a stupid plastic trophy! 90 votes
      39%

(232 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

applause.gif
    IMG_2423 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    609smh (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2023-12-13 at 12.04.11?PM (resized).png
    main-qimg-7f33e25a1467c3b36ededd30ec13dc81-lq (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20231213_144900_Messenger (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1702497983076 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20231213_141146_Facebook (resized).jpg
    20231213_140954 (resized).jpg
    ChrisKooluris (resized).jpg
    IMG_5348 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1074 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1353.gif
    giphy (8).gif
    IMG_6778 (resized).jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 627 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 13.
    #101 4 months ago

LOL

#102 4 months ago
    Quoted from Gamingrulin:

We are arguing over and argument that happend in the past between them! You all are sounding just like them! NGL

Everything that's ever happened happened in the past.

#103 4 months ago
    Quoted from Dr-Willy:

This meme got me banned from the Twip Facebook page lol so I’ll keep posting it any chance I get.
    [quoted image]

I haven't been banned yet but Colin definitely deletes any comment on either page that he doesn't agree with or that isn't trying to suck him off...Such an engaging page.

#104 4 months ago
    Quoted from Sorokyl:

I haven't been banned yet but Colin definitely deletes any comment on either page that he doesn't agree with or that isn't trying to suck him off...Such an engaging page.

What's you point? Kaneda deletes and bans too. Its their playground.

#105 4 months ago

Perhaps, a cabal of haters have pushed Colin into this position?

IMG_4523 (resized).pngIMG_4523 (resized).png
    #106 4 months ago

At least Todd Tuckey got his award before this happened....... it would've been an incredible video from him though.....

Worker guy: "Todd...... they ended the category you've been spurned from all these years..... now you'll never get it"
    Todd: "WWWWWAAAAGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!"
    TWIP: "NOW GET OUT!!!!"
    todd (resized).pngtodd (resized).png

#107 4 months ago
    Quoted from VisitorQ:

Why does anyone even care? I mean how lame can pinball get? Honestly... Just say the name "Twipy". Imagine telling a girl you are dating that you need to get home to watch the Twipy Awards! lol
    Pinball is fun, it's a great hobby to enjoy and be part of but we don't need all this extra stuff to try to glamorize a hobby that is well... Kinda dorky.
    Go play and enjoy your games. Stop trying to make pinball into something it isn't.

#108 4 months ago
    Quoted from PinStalker:

At least Todd Tuckey got his award before this happened....... it would've been an incredible video from him though.....
    Worker guy: "Todd...... they ended the category you've been spurned from all these years..... now you'll never get it"
    [quoted image]

Zach and Greg will always be the GOATS but I thought Todd did a great job last year.

#109 4 months ago

THIS WEEK in Pinball.COM is not what is was. Knapp is way better.

I really dont think winning a TWIPY amounts to anything for a content creator, mod maker, etc. Do you really think people are like "wow, they won a TWIPY so it must be a great game or mod" - NO. This is simply an advertisement like the "top 100 doctors in america"

#110 4 months ago
    Quoted from delt31:

More importantly who even is this guy? What a joke to think his view even matters. To say he's irrelevant would be putting it nicely and quite frankly, not even worth the attention he's getting.

#111 4 months ago

Scott said "online terrorism," with that, I'm out.
    Anyone using the phrase online terrorism to describe any discourse, in something as silly as pinball, is laughable.

#112 4 months ago
    Quoted from coniferpinball:

Scott said "online terrorism," with that, I'm out.
    Anyone using the phrase online terrorism to describe any discourse, in something as silly as pinball, is laughable.

Hang on....is Scott from the Loser Kid show? And he said "online terrorism" in regards to Kaneda's show?

#113 4 months ago

I minute he said “I would love to see a boy band pin” the place cleared out.

IMG_6650 (resized).jpegIMG_6650 (resized).jpeg
    #114 4 months ago
    Quoted from Pinphila:

THIS WEEK in Pinball.COM is not what is was. Knapp is way better.

Official suggestion to rebrand the annual awards as The Knappys. That will get some unintended coverage from real media!

But seriously, this is a lot of drama for something that barely matters in this tiny, mostly unknown community.

#115 4 months ago
    Quoted from reffob:

Hang on....is Scott from the Loser Kid show? And he said "online terrorism" in regards to Kaneda's show?

Listen to Loserkid EP:124
    The inflated language "online terrorism" is used to describe the action of what they see as bullying. Because they don't mention Kaneda by name, we're left to assume that's who they're talking about.

#116 4 months ago

End of day this is all still over the opportunity for a tiny trophy. If you have fans, if you have paying fans, who cares.

#117 4 months ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Everything that's ever happened happened in the past.

IMG_5271 (resized).pngIMG_5271 (resized).png
    #118 4 months ago

Quick question. Who runs the TWIPYS? Who is responsible for this decision to eliminate the categories from the award ceremony's?

#119 4 months ago
    Quoted from dpadam450:

End of day this is all still over the opportunity for a tiny trophy. If you have fans, if you have paying fans, who cares.

Its just a nice and fun thing that many people enjoyed. I still don't understand this mentality. "I'm a pinball fan" and also "haha pinball is for dorks why even have an award show". Like its fine if you or anyone doesn't care about the TWIPY's but for many of us it was a fun event that we all enjoyed. Yes at the end of the day we're arguing over some inconsequential "awards" show for a small hobby that most people find dumb but guess what? Theres stuff like this in many hobbies. I'm sure Levi doesn't care about Car and Drivers 10 best cars for 2023 but a lot of people get enjoyment out of reading that. Theres award shows for so many hobbies and the people in those hobbies tend to like them. I just don't get it. Fine if you don't care, that doesn't take away the fact that many do so theres no need to belittle it. If you don't care or think its dumb then why are you even on this thread? Its meaningless to you, and thats perfectly fine. (for clarity I am not specifically singling you out Adam, I'm addressing everyone I'm seeing with this take or similar)

Also lets just be honest here, the drama surrounding these categories go a long way in making them interesting. Just like any sporting event, movie award show, ect, if theres drama, more people are going to be interested in it.

#120 4 months ago
    Quoted from Dr-Willy:

This meme got me banned from the Twip Facebook page lol so I’ll keep posting it any chance I get.
    [quoted image]

Now this.........actually made me laugh

Pinside_forum_7904588_3677152 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_7904588_3677152 (resized).jpg
    #121 4 months ago

I was going to say something but....

eE6okxre_400x400 (resized).jpgeE6okxre_400x400 (resized).jpg
    #122 4 months ago

I enjoyed this thread over a nice bowl of ramen at a local lunch spot.
    Back to work now.

#123 4 months ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

Back to work now.

How is Louisiana ramen anyway?

#124 4 months ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

Back to work now.

I like ramen.

#125 4 months ago
    IMG_4820 (resized).jpegIMG_4820 (resized).jpeg
    #126 4 months ago
    IMG_4821 (resized).jpegIMG_4821 (resized).jpeg
    #127 4 months ago

I can go for it once every few months. A little ramen goes a long way.

And honestly, the best part of any ramen?

That barely cooked hard boiled egg.

There also doesn’t seem to be a lot of variance in ramen. I would suspect Shreveport ramen is just as good as Chicago airport ramen which is just as good as midtown Manhattan ramen.

Or maybe im just no expert.

#128 4 months ago

I don’t pay attention to social media, interweb celebrity, or the latest gossip; but, I did click on this thread and attempt to make sense of it and now my head hurts.

I’m going to take a nap.

Good luck with all of the popularity contests.

Much like the scene with JK Simmons in Burn After Reading, maybe someone can report back when it all makes sense.

#129 4 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

There also doesn’t seem to be a lot of variance in ramen.

The noodle quality and most importantly the broth. That's where the sometimes very subtle differences lie. But I always say to my friends if you cant tell just enjoy it all the more!

#130 4 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The TWIPPYS have always been stupid and I find this whole thing hilarious in each and every way......

Not to mention that the TWIPY's have been unwatchable the last few years .. it's just not something I care about at all

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yes, buying a forum or website just to ban your enemies is a power bitch move. I'm not sure where you read that statement as any kind of an endorsement of any person or any action.
    It's just fucking hilarious.

Sombody call Musk ....

#131 4 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I can go for it once every few months. A little ramen goes a long way.
    And honestly, the best part of any ramen?
    That barely cooked hard boiled egg.
    There also doesn’t seem to be a lot of variance in ramen. I would suspect Shreveport ramen is just as good as Chicago airport ramen which is just as good as midtown Manhattan ramen.
    Or maybe im just no expert.

Best ramen I’ve had was at a Japanese restaurant owned by iron chef Morimoto in Honolulu. That stuff was the bomb!

#132 4 months ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Not to mention that the TWIPY's have been unwatchable the last few years .. it's just not something I care about at all

This is true. It’s sad that an awards show that was really fun and funny turned into such a drama fest and then such poor production quality over the last few years.

Here’s a thought, let’s get rid of all pinball awards and just play the games.

#133 4 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

maybe im just no expert.

This kind of attitude just won’t do here.

#134 4 months ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

I still don't understand this mentality.

The awards probably mean more for someone up for best homebrew, than it does for Kaneda. In this specific case, you make 600x$5 a month in subscriptions. Isn't that the real award?

#135 4 months ago

Pretty much nobody actually cares about the TWIPYs besides the recipients. If for no other reason, this is a stupid business decision. Chris brags about his TWIPYs every single chance he gets, multiple times a days. He is the single biggest promoter of the show in the hobby. His audience seems small at 6-700 people, but the universe of people who buy 8-15k machines isn’t huge.

#136 4 months ago
    Quoted from dpadam450:

The awards probably mean more for someone up for best homebrew, than it does for Kaneda. In this specific case, you make 600x$5 a month in subscriptions. Isn't that the real award?

I'm sure it does mean something to them, and rightfully so, but I'd also argue that "best homebrew" is toward the top of throwaway categories after things like "best location" and whatnot. Simply because probably a majority of the voters have not had a chance to play any of the homebrews or even see them in person. A huge number of voters probably don't even know about most or all of the choices in that category, yet are still asked to cast a vote. You can argue that maybe a lot of people don't listen to every (or any) podcast or watch every youtube channel and while that may be true, but the percentage of voters is much much higher and the ease of entry of listening to podcasts to make a decision is much higher as well, even if the podcast is "behind a paywall". Often your only chance to play a homebrew is at a show and not every homebrewer can make it to every show. The homebrew threads and FB groups are certainly not as bustling as most other general pinball talk. I mean, I can speak from my experience, I pay attention to a number of homebrews (mostly dabbling) and I attend shows and check out the homebrew sections a lot, but every year theres games on the list I never even knew about, and I would be much more likely to be in tune with that than the average TWIPY voter.

#137 4 months ago
    Quoted from dpadam450:

As much as he constantly talks about it ... and I mean constantly, it must mean a lot to him.
    It's an ego thing, hence all the drama

#138 4 months ago

I keep hearing about all the “hard work” the “content creators” do on behalf of the community.

It seems like most of them just turn on a web cam or mic and rant/pontificate about pinball for an hour or so.

I mean, it’s dedication, but is it really “hard work?” It seems pretty similar
    To what we all do here, every day.

Nobody has ever congratulated me for my “hard work” on tens of thousands of Pinside posts. What am I doing wrong? How can I work harder to create this content and how can I be recognized for it?

Also, is there any good ramen near the Cleveland airport?

#139 4 months ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Zach and Greg will always be the GOATS but I thought Todd did a great job last year.

Thank you!

#140 4 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I keep hearing about all the “hard work” the “content creators” do on behalf of the community.
    It seems like most of them just turn on a web cam and rant at the screen or on the mic for an hour or so.
    I mean, it’s dedication, but is it really “hard work?”
    Nobody has ever congratulated me for my “hard work” on tens of thousands of Pinside posts. What am I doing wrong? How can I work harder to create this content and how can I be recognized for it?

Maybe try a facebook live where you complain for an hour about not being recognized ....

#141 4 months ago

The TWIPYs should be run by an independent body with rotating membership, if they want credibility.
    Not being a huge fan in general, I do appreciate that they help publicize creative and innovative pinball people and products that might otherwise be overlooked.

#142 4 months ago

Maybe try a facebook live where you complain for an hour about not being recognized ....

That sounds like hard work!

#143 4 months ago

Staying tuned for TWIRYS / This Week In Ramen Yearly Awards

#144 4 months ago

One thing I learned from this thread is I need to eat more ramen

#145 4 months ago

Tomorrow's pro/premium/le argument: shoyu vs. shio vs. miso

#146 4 months ago

I'll watch that.

#147 4 months ago

And he’s now live streaming about how he doesn’t care about the Twipys…..while holding a Twipy.

Can’t make this stuff up!

#148 4 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It seems like most of them just turn on a web cam or mic and rant/pontificate about pinball for an hour or so.
    I mean, it’s dedication, but is it really “hard work?” It seems pretty similar
    To what we all do here, every day.
    Also, is there any good ramen near the Cleveland airport?

I dunno man, its really easy to write off producing a podcast or youtube video as "not real work" and "easy" but I feel like thats just completely false. You have to be able to put your thoughts out in a coherent and engaging manner (something I struggle with) and keep it up for the duration of the content. Plus there is a ton of editing, research sometimes, ect. Anyone can't just pick up a mic, say some stuff, and bam there you go a finished product. I mean...some people do and they make terrible content. Its not hard to distinguish between a well made show and a poorly made show. It does require work and meanwhile most people are paid absolutely nothing for it as well.

I mean you might as well say being a good journalist isn't hard work, or being a good TV producer isn't putting in hard work, ect. Yeah, they aren't breaking their pack doing manual labor all day, but that doesn't mean its easy enough that anybody can pick it up and pull it off with any sort of success

#149 4 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Nobody has ever congratulated me for my “hard work” on tens of thousands of Pinside posts.

i'm closer to sending you condolences.

#150 4 months ago
    Quoted from PinStalker:

[quoted image]

BUT...I wanted to win a third twipy maybe......!

There are 627 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 13.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twipy-media-categories-removed-this-is-why-we-cant-have-nice-things/page/3?hl=otto110 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.