(Topic ID: 282934)

The WAF

By LeMansFan

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F997C9AF-6E23-4941-B1C1-F15F2B8003C0 (resized).jpeg
    796D83B6-DEF8-48D9-975E-C92C27FECD02 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider LeMansFan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

WAF = Wife Acceptance Factor

Kinda sorta newish to these forums, so apologies in advance if this topic has already been discussed at length.

My other big hobby is home theater, and WAF is something that gets discussed quite often in those circles. Will she allow me to paint the walls black? How big a screen will she allow on the wall? Can I get away with multiple subwoofers? Will she mind when speakers take up half the room?

I would venture to guess that the majority of folks on here are of the male variety and that getting the all clear from the wife or girlfriend comes into play when adding another machine to the collection. So just curious how some of you go about getting the okay to have another machine in the house? Are there rooms that are strictly off limits? Are there rooms you can't believe she agreed to allow pinball machines in? Does she have a breaking point where one more machine gets you into trouble?

And then what is it about pinball that she may agree with you on? Is there a particular machine that she'd actually be happy to have added to the collection? Particular themes that go over better than others?

I only have two machines myself. One that I've had for the past 15 years, my second machine came home with us just this year. It kinda seems though that the second machine has already opened the door for a third as she's seen the light that there is always a market for pinball machines and there are much worse things I could spend money on. As for games we agree on, she remembers playing Terminator 2 years back and enjoying it, so if I ever find one for a price I'm comfortable with she's given me the green light. She's really into music and if the Stern rumors come true and Led Zeppelin becomes a thing she said she'd actually go halvsies with me on one, same goes if there's ever a Grateful Dead game in the future. Another theme she'd be down with would be anything Quinten Tarantino (why don't we have a Pulp Fiction pinball yet?!).

So anyway, just thought it might be an interesting topic of discussion. Maybe we can all help one another to get our better halves on board for more games.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Well does she play them?

Every so often. She's pretty easy going with them, I'm just trying to figure out how to get more games into the house.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kwoody51:

I saw WAF and thought is this about subwoofers?!
    I can’t tell you how many times I have had to try to influence my wife through furniture locations for perfect sub placement and keeping her happy with not being able to see it. Solved that problem with an IB sub setup- never going back to boxed subs!
    Thankfully my wife was the one that suggesting a pinball machine when we did our basement. Don’t think she knew the door she was opening up though On my 4th machine in 2 years! Hoping my current one stays for more than 7 months.

IB, Infinite Baffle, right? Those are built into the wall, right? Does one just build that between the studs?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider LeMansFan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-waf?tu=LeMansFan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.