You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190425_155618 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190425_154858 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Hi All,

I'm looking after a fairly badly abused early The Addams Family table, but the playfield angle is really shallow when the cabinet is level.

To get the 6º or so, the whole cabinet has to be fairly seriously tipped for the bubble to reach the first marker on the level, with the rear feet jacked up 2 inches while the front ones are down to the minimum, but this leaves the whole table sort of leaning forwards.

Looking at the mounting, the metal hooks from the playfield are sat directly on the bolts in the side of the cabinet, which doesn't look *entirely* wrong, but the table has been through a few owners, and seems to be a bit of a Frankenstein's monster with some dodgy repairs and random parts in places (which are slowly getting restored).

The playfield itself (barring wear and some light damage) seems to be fine - there's no warping, no sign of cracks and it's straight (if rather dirty and worn).

I've had trouble finding any useful references, but from photos of other tables, the cabinet doesn't seem to be tilted anywhere near as much.

Am I doing something wrong, or...?

#2 5 years ago

You should be leveling the machine based on the desired play field angle, not the cabinet. Place a level on the play field itself horizontally and level the machine side to side.

Turn the level vertically and level to 6/6.5 degree. Double check your side to side once more then tighten the leg nuts.

A good indication you are properly level is raising and lowering the play field without it binding.

Some pictures of the Frankensteined areas may help

#3 5 years ago

I don't know if it's typical but on my TAF the back legs are fixed slightly higher up than the TZ that I have sat next to it. As a result I had to put an oak board approx 3/4" thick under the back legs so that the cabinet & backbox would be the same height across both machines. I don't know if that means my TZ is too high, or TAF is too shallow, but the leg holes are definitely not identical.

How does one ensure that the bolts the playfield sits on inside the machine are in the right place? Perhaps that's the problem in the OP's case?

OP - get some photos of how it is mounted inside of the machine.

#4 5 years ago

You guys are making it way to complicated. Level the playfeild, dont use the bubble and done! The cabinet doesnt matter.

#5 5 years ago

Thanks for the help guys!

I'm leveling it against the playfield (and the bubble is still mostly accurate), but when I do, the cabinet looks *really* tilted. When I took over looking after it had the L-4 ROM version which didn't look like it was original, which makes me think this may be an earlier revision or something?

Images attached - the wall is straight, which is what's making me think something is maybe wrong. It doesn't look *too* wrong inside - the bolt it's sat on is the same ones in the side of the cabinet, but there looks to be a fair bit of space inside - a good few inches at the back, and about an inch between the glass and the chair - for the playfield to be mounted higher?

IMG_20190425_154858 (resized).jpgIMG_20190425_154858 (resized).jpgIMG_20190425_155618 (resized).jpgIMG_20190425_155618 (resized).jpg
#6 5 years ago

Post some photos of the playfield, particularly towards the back of the machine, and the hooks at the front.

Off the top of my head the gap between the top of the chair and the glass sounds about right.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Kelduum:

Thanks for the help guys!
I'm leveling it against the playfield (and the bubble is still mostly accurate), but when I do, the cabinet looks *really* tilted. When I took over looking after it had the L-4 ROM version which didn't look like it was original, which makes me think this may be an earlier revision or something?
Images attached - the wall is straight, which is what's making me think something is maybe wrong. It doesn't look *too* wrong inside - the bolt it's sat on is the same ones in the side of the cabinet, but there looks to be a fair bit of space inside - a good few inches at the back, and about an inch between the glass and the chair - for the playfield to be mounted higher?[quoted image][quoted image]

You're missing the pivot nut that goes on the bolt. Without that, the back of the playfield will sit a bit lower. Here's what they are but I'm not sure what size you need for TAF.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=pivot+nut

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 180.00
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jamestown, NC
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-playfield-levelling-issues?hl=durzel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.