Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by GCS2000
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which option would you pick?”

• Keep WCS and get JP Data East to go with MBRLE, JJPOTC, & Scooby CE 1 vote
      33%
    • Sell WCS and get CCRLE or CCRSE to go with MBRLE, JJPOTC, & Scooby CE 2 votes
      67%
    • Sell WCS and get GZ Premium to go with MBRLE, JJPOTC, & Scooby CE 0 votes

(3 votes)

#1 1 year ago

So I know everyone hates these kinds of posts (so do I) but I am just looking for a little more help and maybe for someone to push me over the fence on a game.

We are looking to add one last game to the room (only space for 5).

Current line up - MBRLE, JJPOTC, WCS 94 - recently sold WH20

We are a family of 4 (adult) and our guests which are all below average players i.e. we aren't crushing games and hitting wizard modes. We enjoy playing and love to "flip". The wife plays the most but she is a true flipper and doesn't really aim.

We like games with toys (MB with Frank and Drac, JP (original) with the dino, WCS with the ball and the goalie etc - you get the point. We probably need slightly more forgiving games than most.

Our most played game by far is MB followed closely by POTC. WCS gets plenty of play since its straightforward and the toys are great. Besides who doesn't like scoring goals!

We are adding a Scooby CE to our line up as this is a grail theme for the wife. Should have it some time in June perhaps.

Games we are considering (we have played all the ones below and like them but cannot "pick one"). I would buy them all if I could afford them and had room but that isn't possible.

Newer titles:

CCRLE - cost is the issue
    Godzilla Premium - cost is the issue since these have gone up
    MMR - cost is very much the issue and will probably not be possible
    JP Premium - concern is cost but also this game can be brutal at times and send you away going why did I play this

Older titles:

STTNG
    NGG
    JP (original Data East)
    RFM/SWEP1 combo
    TOTAN - cost has become an issue (had no idea these had skyrocketed)
    RoadShow

**we have owned all of the ones above before and wouldn't mind having them back

Happy to listen to other options as well. Perhaps we are leaving something out we should consider. Games we cannot consider are horror themes or risque/adult themes (no Pulp Fiction and as much as I might like one Aliens is out as well).

Me personally I am kinda leaning towards going cheap(er) and getting back JP original (always a favorite) or if I can find a Godzilla Premium that won't break the bank I think that would be a nice mix. We don't own any Sterns and in fact only had 1 in the house over the last 15 years + (Nascar that was a loaner). Its a great game lots of action has cool toys (can go cooler with mods of course). Downside is cost and that it can be found on location a lot easier than any of the ones I listed.

#2 1 year ago

I always thought RoadShow was underrated, and a great value for a B/W DMD machine...

If CGC is actually going to produce more MMr at the end of the year (as they say), then maybe it becomes affordable for you.

#3 1 year ago

If you’re talking casual play, not aiming and just flipping, most those titles are TERRIBLE! I find TOTAN to require a lot of meaningful shooting to have any fun.

For casual fun play, you want a B/W. Data East’s work too, JP is a great casual game. Medieval Madness is another great casual game.
    Look at what thrived in the 90s arcades, they did well because they challenged veteran pinheads (most of whom had been playing through the 80s) but still managed to enrapture casual players new to arcades!

#4 1 year ago

If you like (DE) Jurassic Park the layout is a worse layout of Whirlwind, which as great toys and is a classic that is a good "pinvestment" and relatively reliable.. Godzilla Premium is/will be coming down in price. I bet you a nickel you will be able to get a premium at or below $9,000 before the end of 2023 as they come back on the market.

As to games with great toys that won't break the bank. Last Action Hero is ugly as shit (I don't like to swear on here, but seriously it's ugly). It is freaking loaded with magnets, 6 balls, topper, moving crane, multiple captive balls and rules derivitive of Addams Family. It's not as good as the other games but its cheap too. Another great toy game is Pinbot. You have nothing of that era in your collection, and the the theming "neatness" is perfect. Other fun games for casuals would include High Speed (simple rules) and Torpedo Alley. I personally think a 3 flipper game would be great for you. Lord of the Rings is a great game with neat toys that is forgiving for beginners (it's a long player). I'd also recommend Simpsons Pinball Party (a little hard to start a mode, but great theme and toys). It's not loaded with toys, but Deadpool Pro is pretty forgiving as a modern game.

#5 1 year ago

Varity is the spice of life and you don't have it. I'd consider a late 1970s digital game to really fill it out.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

If you like (DE) Jurassic Park the layout is a worse layout of Whirlwind, which as great toys and is a classic that is a good "pinvestment" and relatively reliable.. Godzilla Premium is/will be coming down in price. I bet you a nickel you will be able to get a premium at or below $9,000 before the end of 2023 as they come back on the market.
    As to games with great toys that won't break the bank. Last Action Hero is ugly as shit (I don't like to swear on here, but seriously it's ugly). It is freaking loaded with magnets, 6 balls, topper, moving crane, multiple captive balls and rules derivitive of Addams Family. It's not as good as the other games but its cheap too. Another great toy game is Pinbot. You have nothing of that era in your collection, and the the theming "neatness" is perfect. Other fun games for casuals would include High Speed (simple rules) and Torpedo Alley. I personally think a 3 flipper game would be great for you. Lord of the Rings is a great game with neat toys that is forgiving for beginners (it's a long player). I'd also recommend Simpsons Pinball Party (a little hard to start a mode, but great theme and toys). It's not loaded with toys, but Deadpool Pro is pretty forgiving as a modern game.

Yeah I agree LAH is a terrible theme and look but yeah lots of great toys.

JP DE version is always fun. That raptor shot back the 3 scoop holes, big ramp shots and the T-Rex always great fun and fantastic theme. JP thread everyone talks about how great the Pinsound reorchestration is as well.

Whirlwind - yep great game we had one for a while. I liked it the rest were ehh. There are many games I like that the rest of the fam and regular visitors are like its ok but I am not jonesing to play it. Like Shadow - I love that game everyone else hates it.

We do like the 80/90s games like Earthshaker, Diner, Taxi, Whirlwind, BOP, etc but they unfortunately did not get played as much in our house as the DMD games and now LCD games.

Deadpool - I have liked this game each time I play on location and I just like DP in general. The game art is fantastic too. Wife is meh on it and we know WAF is important no matter what we might say on the forums

TSPP - Ironically while I cannot stand the Simpsons I really dig the pin.

LOTR - had one for about a year and it never really caught on with the family (probably because they aren't as into the theme as much). I agree its a good solid game though.

Thanks everyone for the comments they are appreciated and I will definitely be looking a little deeper at some of these (LAH for sure - never owned mainly due to theme but it looks a like a solid game).

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Varity is the spice of life and you don't have it. I'd consider a late 1970s digital game to really fill it out.

We had talked about getting our very first pin back Silverball Mania. If we had more room we definitely would do that as its a very sentimental favorite of ours. I'll never forget the day my wife rolled the score displays before me, it was a sad day for sure

#7 1 year ago

Fun mindless play with cool toy(s):
    TOM, T2, HS2, AFM

#8 1 year ago

Seems like your family would enjoy anything from the Elvira series. I'm partial to Williams/Bally 90's games, so Scared Stiff would be right up there for me. Stern's Elvira is one of their best, but quite spendy. What the hell, they all are.

#9 1 year ago

If you can stretch it... Godzilla premium. It will give you a nice variety of manufacturers and games. I know you say you like the older stuff, I used to say that too. Remember.. there is no wrong choice in pinball, picking and buying a game is all part of the fun.

#10 1 year ago

Godzilla is on our list but would want the premium or LE and they are spendy for sure. Not to mention I would really want some of the mods that are around as they are really good which adds to the cost at some point.

There are tons of choices but as you guys said everything is spendy. Its not a cheap hobby for sure.

#11 1 year ago

We have narrowed it down to 1 of 3 options. I added a poll up tp to see what fellow pinsiders think.

1 - Keep WCS and add JP Data East to go along with MBRLE, JJPOTCLE, & Scooby CE

2 - Sell WCS and add CCRLE or CCRSE to go along with MBRLE, JJPOTCLE, & Scooby CE

3 - Sell WCS and add GZ Premium to go along with MBRLE, JJPOTCLE, & Scooby CE

Thanks for your input.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/suggestions-wanted-for-last-game-yeah-i-know-get-what-you-like-etc?hl=mr9865 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.