Space Shuttle constant sound test

By sidetrackedbrew

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

So I just picked up a Space Shuttle last weekend; PF is pretty rough, hardtop incoming. Otherwise, even after transport, it was perfectly playable. Two nights ago. Fired it up tonight, and initially it would start a game and play normally, but the audio was the continual speech test loop: “one, two, three, four, airlock, whatever whatever” I pulled and reseated roms, plugs, pressed the test buttons (which, the speech sound test button does restart the audio sequence), unplugged, pulled batteries, restarted… and the current game state is:
Power up
Score displays go from normal to every 0 turning to a 1
Plays one sound effect
Goes into speech test mode (one, two, three, four, airlock, whatever…)
Lights are not consistent with attract mode; general illumination is on and flippers are powered, cannot start a game but can flip the flippers.
Really confused about this given that it played perfectly last time it was powered up, though I will note even then the score displays we’re all odd numbers, I did notice that. I hadn’t noticed until tonight that 0s show up initially and then give way to ones in the score display. Any thoughts on where to go from here?

#2 1 year ago

Here’s a link to what it’s currently doing. Again, it was playing perfectly a few days ago, then was powered off for two days, and started this when it was turned back on. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

https://vimeo.com/765453902

#3 1 year ago

Reseat sound Microprocessor U11

No?

Swap Microprocessors U11 and U17

No?

Check pin 6 on sound U11 microprocessor is logic high

No?

Check for a cracked SR 10

#4 1 year ago

Thank you PINTEC. Reseating u11 gave no change; swapping u11 and u17 made the machine not boot at all. (Swapping them back returned the machine to the state in the video.) Does this indicate that one of those microprocessors is bad? Should I just replace them both? SR10 looks brand new.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from sidetrackedbrew:

Thank you PINTEC. Reseating u11 gave no change; swapping u11 and u17 made the machine not boot at all. (Swapping them back returned the machine to the state in the video.) Does this indicate that one of those microprocessors is bad? Should I just replace them both? SR10 looks brand new.

Could be a 6802 processor at 1c 17 not a 6808 as at 11

place Ic 17 Processor back into socket 11 (leave 17 out) power up then press the sound test button

Does the sound loop play now when requested?

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from PINTEC:

Could be a 6802 processor at 1c 17 not a 6808 as at 11
place Ic 17 Processor back into socket 11 (leave 17 out) power up then press the sound test button
Does the sound loop play now when requested?

They are both 6808 processors. If I place the processor from u17 into u11 and leave u17 out, machine powers up with just general illumination, and the sound loop plays when SW2 is pressed.

#7 1 year ago

They are both 6808 processors. If I place the processor from u17 into u11 and leave u17 out, machine powers up with just general illumination, and the sound loop plays when SW2 is pressed.

Suspect IRQ corrupt
Replace microprocessor 11 with a fresh 6808

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from PINTEC:

Suspect IRQ corrupt

Thanks so much for your help. I’ll order some tomorrow and update when they arrive!

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from PINTEC:

Suspect IRQ corrupt

Turns out I do have a couple MC6802p's at work; can I use one of those in u17 instead of ordering another 6808?

#10 1 year ago

Turns out I do have a couple MC6802p's at work; can I use one of those in u17 instead of ordering another 6808?

This cpu is set up for 6808 then yes 6802's will work in place of them as the 6802's added internal ram is not enabled so it will run as a 6808.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from PINTEC:

This cpu is set up for 6808 then yes 6802's will work in place of them as the 6802's added internal ram is not enabled so it will run as a 6808.

Awesome. Thanks for your help, I’ll try it out tonight! Cheers

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from PINTEC:

That did it, the machine is working now! Now there are two more playability issues on the machine:

The displays are still only showing odd numbers, which not only affects the scoring but affects my ability to perform tests and such...

When a game is started, the machine kicks one ball into the shooter lane, but once a ball is locked, it kicks two balls into the shooter lane. This makes multiplayer impossible because when one of those two balls is drained it moves on to player two, even though there's still a ball in play. I know the shooter lane switch is working, what else do I check? Hoping to get this machine fully restored with new plastics, hardtop and get these playability issues fixed by the end of the month, when I'm hosting an IFPA sanctioned tournament!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-constant-sound-test?hl=pintec and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.