(Topic ID: 338265)

Someone cut wires to the head instead of using the Jones plugs!

By brothersun

10 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 10 months ago

I reconnected the wires the best I could based on the color codes, but I'm unsure of a couple due to discoloration. So now, because the machine is not playable, I need to trace down those few questionable connections to insure that they are correct. I'm familiar with how to read EM schematics but I have to psyche myself up for this process. It should be a "fun" challenge. And getting the machine to work will increase it's value so there's that.

#2 10 months ago
Quoted from brothersun:

I reconnected the wires the best I could based on the color codes, but I'm unsure of a couple due to discoloration. So now, because the machine is not playable, I need to trace down those few questionable connections to insure that they are correct. I'm familiar with how to read EM schematics but I have to psyche myself up for this process. It should be a "fun" challenge. And getting the machine to work will increase it's value so there's that.

Very often people who don’t know any better do that!

#3 10 months ago

Pretty common. What’s the game?

#4 10 months ago

I pieced my Argosy back together with this exact same process.

I used these and I recommend it to troubleshoot and get your wire colors correctly sorted out. Order like 10 of them: https://www.hawkusa.com/manufacturers/nte/terminal-blocks/euro-style/25-e2100-12?gad=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwhJukBhBPEiwAniIcNZObVRlRwe24y5PVzqbV2wCNa9XCjrQau1AMvsRdGVfcCnlsngDMvxoC0VkQAvD_BwE

The beauty with using these is there is no soldering.

They are maybe not the BEST long term solution BUT, they are critical when trying to sort out those colors. Once you know everything is good, you can use a more permanent connection BUT my Argosy has been chugging along great for 4 years now using only these terminal strips.

I would start by connecting all the wire you KNOW ARE CORRECT first, and then put the ones that are maybe close in color all right next to each other so you can swap them around until you get a mostly working game. It's a fun puzzle. Red/Brown/Tan and even Pink cloth wire coverings all look the same after 60 years!

Took me quite a few hours to get mine sorted out... good LUCK!

#5 10 months ago
Quoted from Mundy53:

Pretty common. What’s the game?

New World (EM 1976 Playmatic)

#6 10 months ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I pieced my Argosy back together with this exact same process.
I used these and I recommend it to troubleshoot and get your wire colors correctly sorted out. Order like 10 of them: https://www.hawkusa.com/manufacturers/nte/terminal-blocks/euro-style/25-e2100-12?gad=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwhJukBhBPEiwAniIcNZObVRlRwe24y5PVzqbV2wCNa9XCjrQau1AMvsRdGVfcCnlsngDMvxoC0VkQAvD_BwE
The beauty with using these is there is no soldering.
They are maybe not the BEST long term solution BUT, they are critical when trying to sort out those colors. Once you know everything is good, you can use a more permanent connection BUT my Argosy has been chugging along great for 4 years now using only these terminal strips.
I would start by connecting all the wire you KNOW ARE CORRECT first, and then put the ones that are maybe close in color all right next to each other so you can swap them around until you get a mostly working game. It's a fun puzzle. Red/Brown/Tan and even Pink cloth wire coverings all look the same after 60 years!
Took me quite a few hours to get mine sorted out... good LUCK!

Oh yeah! I wish I'd thought of using those terminal strips instead of the butt connectors. But fortunately there are only a few ambiguous wires so I'll just cut those and use wire nuts while testing. This will be fun! Now I know how Dr Frankenstein must have felt...

#7 10 months ago

Went through this a while ago. Completed the 74 connections and the game worked but weirdly.

Think that is where you are. I used a copy of the schematic and marked all relevant Jones plug connections. With a continuity set meter eventually found all the issues and the games has worked like a trooper ever since. I think at the time I put my errors as a beer related issue.

Good luck and next week it will be just a memory.

Steve J

#8 10 months ago

Had one of these recently also. I used these splices for the first time, and they're now one of my favorite things, lol. They worked wonderfully -- wire ends go in each side and meet in the middle -- hit it with a heat gun, the sleeve shrinks to hold them in place, then the solder ring melts and flows over the exposed ends. Love it!

Had 60 connections to make. It was time consuming but not difficult. Biggest challenge was that there were a few repeated insulation colors, so I had to match them up by cut angle, proximity to other wires in the bundle, and/or location of the cut to the colored markings.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#9 10 months ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Had one of these recently also. I used these splices for the first time, and they're now one of my favorite things, lol. They worked wonderfully -- wire ends go in each side and meet in the middle -- hit it with a heat gun, the sleeve shrinks to hold them in place, then the solder ring melts and flows over the exposed ends. Love it!
Had 60 connections to make. It was time consuming but not difficult. Biggest challenge was that there were a few repeated insulation colors, so I had to match them up by cut angle, proximity to other wires in the bundle, and/or location of the cut to the colored markings.
[quoted image]

Where did you purchase these splicers?

#10 10 months ago
Quoted from mricks1960:

Where did you purchase these splicers?

Amazon. Initially I bought this kit (Ginsco 50 Pcs 12-10 AWG Solder Seal Heat Shrink Waterproof Wire Connector Kit with Case Yellow https://a.co/d/fCal6ns) .... but it turned out there were a few larger wires in the bundle so I went back and purchased this other kit with multiple sizes (Ginsco 500 Pcs 26-10 AWG Solder Seal Heat Shrink Waterproof Wire Connector Kit with Case Yellow Blue Red White https://a.co/d/f1P5r1V)

#11 10 months ago

Great info. Thank you

#12 10 months ago

My very first em repair was fixing this exact situation in my Old Chicago. My friend who was more versed in em repair helped. We traced each one using the schematic. At the end we had only mixed up one connection. There were 3 orange wires with red stripes. Very doable project.

#13 10 months ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

My very first em repair was fixing this exact situation in my Old Chicago. My friend who was more versed in em repair helped. We traced each one using the schematic. At the end we had only mixed up one connection. There were 3 orange wires with red stripes. Very doable project.

Ballys are the hardest to rewire, because they reused wire colors for several circuits. Oddly, I think I've heard of more Bally games than any other manufacturer where some imbecile chopped the harness instead of pulling the connectors.

#14 10 months ago

When I discussed this happening years ago there was some thought that this was an operator move to stop the game being used by a potential rival in there patch.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/someone-cut-wires-to-the-head-instead-of-using-the-jones-plugs?hl=brothersun and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.