• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by paulace
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Hi All,

so I've been fiddling with the score reels on this machine for hours, cleaned all the contacts about 3 times each, all the switches are adjusted, but only 3 out of 12 work fine when resetting.
When it comes to scoring points, they all work perfectly and never miss a beat. They've been slowly doing like the video below and i'm not sure why they're missing a little bit of power during reset.

What should I be looking for?

#2 1 year ago

There's also a Motor 1A, a Motor 4A and all the switches on the Z1, Z2 and Z3 relays that are involved in reset. I'd be tempted to look at those Motor 1A and 4A switches to see if they're gapped too wide, not staying closed long enough to pull the score reel plungers all the way in. They're on the schematic between I-18 and I-19.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from NickNitro:

Hi All,
so I've been fiddling with the score reels on this machine for hours, cleaned all the contacts about 3 times each, all the switches are adjusted, but only 3 out of 12 work fine when resetting.
When it comes to scoring points, they all work perfectly and never miss a beat. They've been slowly doing like the video below and i'm not sure why they're missing a little bit of power during reset.

I had the same problem with a couple of mine resetting. Played and scored fine, but would not reset every time. To fix mine I just cleaned out the coil sleeve and plunger. They weren’t even that dirty but they reset fine now. If you try this let us know if it works.

#4 1 year ago

Just for reference, normal scoring uses the end of stroke switch on the reel, which means the score relay won’t release until the plunger pulls all the way in. The reset circuit only uses pulses off the score motor, so there’s no feedback to make sure the score reel actually moved. I agree with the previous posts. You either have a poor contact or a shorter than usual score motor pulse is the reset path, or a slightly sticky reel that needs maximum “oomph” to get it to move.

It is interesting to see that the machine works very hard to overcome the issue and repeats the reset process until it makes it to zero. It shows a bit of self-correction even though there’s an issue.

Dave

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from NickNitro:

What switches do the nine problematic score reels have in common? That might help identify the most likely culprit(s).

Quoted from dgAmpGuy:

Just for reference, normal scoring uses the end of stroke switch on the reel, which means the score relay won’t release until the plunger pulls all the way in. The reset circuit only uses pulses off the score motor, so there’s no feedback to make sure the score reel actually moved.

Excellent observation. I'd never put that together. The feedback during reset only needs to be the Runout or Zero Position switch. How many steps it takes to get there doesn't really matter. During scoring each step matters so the EOS switch is used. Very clever.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from paulace:

There's also a Motor 1A, a Motor 4A and all the switches on the Z1, Z2 and Z3 relays that are involved in reset. I'd be tempted to look at those Motor 1A and 4A switches to see if they're gapped too wide, not staying closed long enough to pull the score reel plungers all the way in. They're on the schematic between I-18 and I-19.

You nailed it! The gap on 4A was barely touching. Once I adjusted it they powered through like it was nothing!

What I love about these forums is learning everyone's perspective as I literally checked all your suggestions.

Thanks everyone!

#7 1 year ago

Glad we could help - have fun with the game!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/score-reel-misfires?hl=tuukka and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.