Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 34 days ago by RyanStl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

topmen (resized).jpg
    noscott (resized).jpg
    #1 35 days ago

Some interesting potential uses of personal information if you sign and accept t&c using the new stern android/ios app.

https://sternpinball.com/privacy-policy/?utm_source=Klaviyo&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Email%20%231

A shortlist of favorites:

Internet or other electronic network activity information – this may include browsing history, search history, and information regarding an individual’s interaction with an internet website, application, or advertisement.

Additional categories of personal information described in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e)) – this may include signature, physical characteristics or description, state identification card number, insurance policy card number, and other financial information, medical information, and health insurance information.

#2 35 days ago

And if you're not careful, someone's going to be able to use your information to figure out that you're really into pinball!

#3 35 days ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

And if you're not careful, someone's going to be able to use your information to figure out that you're really into pinball!

My brother in law sells the very systems(hardware and software) that track your advertising id (along with your Mac address, Bluetooth address, iemi, etc). If you are interested, I can demonstrate some of these tools for you.

Look to the automakers and reporting to insurance companies for how this has turned out. No chance stern would do anything like collect your phone gps data, speed, location and sell it to a broker or aggregator that results in higher rates (not to mention profiting off of your data).

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/11/technology/carmakers-driver-tracking-insurance.html

Before this became public knowledge we have been using LexisNexis to see potential employee driving habits for quite a while now (among many other things)... and it isn't just the automakers reporting this data, they are the first to be caught with their pants down.

Are they in the wrong? No. They have no obligation to tell you this goes to credit reporting agencies and data aggregators like LexisNexis. The end user gave permission for that data to be shared with third parties.

But hey, be dismissive of something insidious working it's way into pinball (and to every other area of life).

#4 35 days ago

Hmmm. Not sure you understand how web browsers work based on your trepidation there.

Stern can’t get access to anything you aren’t doing on their site. Period. That’s how web browsers work.

#5 35 days ago
    Quoted from skink91:

Hmmm. Not sure you understand how web browsers work based on your trepidation there.
    Stern can’t get access to anything you aren’t doing on their site. Period. That’s how web browsers work.

It's not a website - check my first post, it is an iOS and Android application.

Also, accessing a website on your phone is precisely how you authorize scraping of data. Visit defcon and expand your mind.

#6 35 days ago
    Quoted from P1nhead:

It's not a website - check my first post, it is an iOS and Android application.
    Also, accessing a website on your phone is precisely how you authorize scraping of data. Visit defcon and expand your mind.

If by ‘expanding your mind’ you mean filling it with conspiracy theories devoid of the technical aspects that disprove how things actually work… I’ll pass. But thanks!

#7 35 days ago
    Quoted from P1nhead:

If you are ever up for it, I can share some things about you that you'd never dream a private individual could know.

noscott (resized).jpgnoscott (resized).jpg
    #9 35 days ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

That would be embarrassing.

#10 35 days ago

If it’s free…your the product.

#11 35 days ago
    Quoted from EJS:

If it’s free…your the product.

I feel so used.

#12 35 days ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I feel so used.

Be flattered someone’s actually taking an interest in what you do.

#13 35 days ago

That makes me feel good because that's a first.

#14 35 days ago

Pearls before swine and all.

Quoted from RCA1:Deleted post

Was obviously meant to shed light on a problem, currently present in other areas of life, but making it's way into pinball now.

But the simplest thing, which is the very tip of what is available, is to jump on to LexisNexis here:

https://consumer.risk.lexisnexis.com/request

The above is what you have available to you as a consumer. There are powerful risk management tools most of the public is unaware (and has no means to access and no ability pull/delete or otherwise take ownership of the data from).

#15 35 days ago
    Quoted from P1nhead:

Pearls before swine and all.

I can assure you, as someone who has done my share of web development, I have an understanding of what is able to be done in a web browser. You may believe you have ‘pearls’ and we are ‘swine’… but that is something you’ll need to work out on your own.

#16 35 days ago

And for those that do not have a subscription to the times:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2024/03/how-figure-out-what-your-car-knows-about-you-and-opt-out-sharing-when-you-can

It's a single example (and a true cargument) but your data is valuable - tracking pixels, cookies, and tags ... we give up information that in turn is brokered for a profit.

What would be reassuring is if stern explicitly stated in their policy that they would not broker your private information and would only disclose to law enforcement if necessary. Instead, they include all of the same information in t&c/privacy policy (because it is probably boilerplate language) that allowed the major auto manufacturers to sell data which was weaponized against drivers by auto insurance companies.

Is stern specifically going to do this? I wouldn't think so.

I just thought most would read through the privacy policy and permissions you agree to and have a similar reaction of surprise... not ambivalence.

#17 35 days ago
    Quoted from skink91:

I can assure you, as someone who has done my share of web development, I have an understanding of what is able to be done in a web browser. You may believe you have ‘pearls’ and we are ‘swine’… but that is something you’ll need to work out on your own.

Well, you missed that this was not about the web based insider connect (which still has t&c / privacy policy) and was about ios and android apps. You doubled down that there is nothing to see here.

The above supports the allegory used (though maybe meanspirited so sorry for that, really I could've simply said it different).

So, let me break the allegory down since it was misconstrued. Pearls = knowledge or something of value, swine = persons that disregard or dismiss, as if to trample underfoot without regard (I assumed most have heard of this allegory).

It isn't calling you swine. It is, however, stating the obvious - you know better and what I have to say, or what security/privacy experts have to say does not matter.

#18 35 days ago
    Quoted from P1nhead:

And for those that do not have a subscription to the times:
    https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2024/03/how-figure-out-what-your-car-knows-about-you-and-opt-out-sharing-when-you-can
    It's a single example (and a true cargument) but your data is valuable - tracking pixels, cookies, and tags ... we give up information that in turn is brokered for a profit.
    What would be reassuring is if stern explicitly stated in their policy that they would not broker your private information and would only disclose to law enforcement if necessary. Instead, they include all of the same information in t&c/privacy policy (because it is probably boilerplate language) that allowed the major auto manufacturers to sell data which was weaponized against drivers by auto insurance companies.
    Is stern specifically going to do this? I wouldn't think so.
    I just thought most would read through the privacy policy and permissions you agree to and have a similar reaction of surprise... not ambivalence.

I read through the whole thing, and found it to be not only typical… but that they actually did state those things that you say you want to be reassured of (not brokering the info and only disclosing to law enforcement if necessary). Did you read it yourself?

Also, you are still jumping all over the place… trying to use this cargument example to somehow apply to web browsers and apps on phones?

I don’t think that anyone would argue that our info isn’t valuable, or that there aren’t companies, that will sell our info to others… but you are talking about things like ‘learning and storing peoples MAC addresses? No. Maybe if you were sitting on the same network as the hardware… but even then… that info would mean nothing to anyone that wasn’t also on that same network. So like I am saying, you are making yourself nuts without an understanding of what is real and what is not.

Also, for what its worth… the Stern app is in all likelihood just a web app (app that uses a web browser kit to get the content) so it would operate just like a web browser.

#19 35 days ago

I tell you what friend… you do you. Keep on rocking in the free world.

#21 35 days ago

Nevermind

#22 35 days ago
    Quoted from skink91:

I read through the whole thing, and found it to be not only typical… but that they actually did state those things that you say you want to be reassured of (not brokering the info and only disclosing to law enforcement if necessary). Did you read it yourself?
    Also, you are still jumping all over the place… trying to use this cargument example to somehow apply to web browsers and apps on phones?
    I don’t think that anyone would argue that our info isn’t valuable, or that there aren’t companies, that will sell our info to others… but you are talking about things like ‘learning and storing peoples MAC addresses? No. Maybe if you were sitting on the same network as the hardware… but even then… that info would mean nothing to anyone that wasn’t also on that same network. So like I am saying, you are making yourself nuts without an understanding of what is real and what is not.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/06/14/opinion/bluetooth-wireless-tracking-privacy.html

Sorry for a potential paywall again. This isn't some far fetched conspiracy, my relative makes a living from selling both hardware and software (as well as the advertising space) that powers the above. It is in use, we all have an advertising profile built and our information is powering profits that we only marginally benefit from.

TikTok violated Google's policy before and collected (and linked) the unique MAC address of devices with advertising ID and other personally identifying data. Nobody cared (or knew?) until COPA was enacted.

Amazon specifically lays out the following for developers: "When available, you must use the Advertising ID over any other ID. Do not use other unique identifiers (e.g. Android ID, MAC address, IMEI, IP address) or analysis techniques such as “fingerprinting” to build user profiles for advertising purposes or to show users interest-based ads."

So, learning and storing people's mac addresses (and other unique hardware identifiers)? Yes, they do it.

You don't have to be connected to a Wi-Fi network either. Without going into depth, your wifi is on, your unique MAC is broadcast to the world as part of probe requests initiated by your device when scanning for available Wi-Fi networks (something some phones and OS let you turn off but really, who does, especially if you didnt even know this was possible).

See flipper zero for fun with all the invisible bits and bytes flying around your head.

So, as a direct contradiction to your statement, hardware addresses are unique and unless turned off, they broadcast (MAC for wifi, Bluetooth address, and IEMI for cell). Companies take this data and "data analytics" makes meaningful use of it.

Again, if you want to truly understand and learn the level of every day tracking (and our lack of privacy) Defcon is a good source. EFF is a good source. However, you can read about it from some of the biggest sources like Amazon or Google - they all create products and try to regulate use of these personally identifiable bits of information.

The cargument I gave is a contemporary example where less than transparent things were occuring in the background that were not explicitly permitted or prohibited.

Selling/Sharing Personal Information

"Stern does not sell your personal information and does not share your personal information for cross-contextual behavioral advertising purposes."

It can be read as they won't sell it, ever. It may also be read that they won't sell it for cross-contextual behavioral advertising. A period or semicolon after "data" would leave no wiggle room.

It is also mentioned they may share collected information under Merger, Sale, or Other Asset Transfers heading. Any of the aforementioned negate the above if they really meant they won't sell your data, period.

Again, is it likely? No. Do they have the ability to maneuver and share data with third parties, yes.

Am I reading really far into this and assuming the worst from a private corporation? Yes. See the tiktok example above (no different than Stern's app being installed with similar privacy policy language and a complete lack of respect for said language).

Again, sorry for being rude before, I really didn't mean to be, but I am just trying to help inform, it is relevant and important. Especially when there are measures you can take to gain as much control back as possible.

#23 35 days ago
    Quoted from skink91:

If by ‘expanding your mind’ you mean filling it with conspiracy theories devoid of the technical aspects that disprove how things actually work… I’ll pass. But thanks!

https://defcon.org/
    https://eff.org
    https://cdt.org/area-of-focus/privacy-data/
    https://fpf.org/cornerstone-issues/
    https://www.worldprivacyforum.org/

Not conspiracy, just expand your scope a little and learn (plus defcon goes into the nitty gritty of how all these things actually work).

#24 35 days ago

I've seen behind the curtain, so to speak, of some of these marketing/advertising data collection tools, and how that software operates is really eye opening. The data it is able to collect and compile is impressive from a technical standpoint, and a little scary from a privacy standpoint. It can collect and collate way more information than you think it does.

Ad blocking is a must, and it would be foolish to surf the internet without it.

Because phones now are such a cornucopia of personal information, it's a jackpot for anyone who can mine the data from them. Any time you grant an app access to your phone, you're taking a risk.

Just the other day, I saw that any current adobe software has the ability to scan your images to use as seed data for their AI-based tools, and there isn't a mechanism to opt-out of it. You effectively agree to the practice simply by agreeing to the T&C of using their software. So, yeah, that was fun to read about.

#25 35 days ago

They did include geolocation. For non-nefarious purposes, they could start keeping pinballmap up to date without crowdsourcing. Also, would be interesting to combine with Open Street Maps and figure out what types of places have pinball machines. I mean we all know it's BBQ joints but to have the data to prove it would be interesting.

#26 35 days ago

https://www.ftc.gov/policy/advocacy-research/tech-at-ftc/2023/03/lurking-beneath-surface-hidden-impacts-pixel-tracking

From the nefarious to greedy corporations (along with maybe less than competent mean-wells that don't understand how this technology works - see the recent firebase issue with google) granular detail can be learned about you through the simple web browser.

This isn't fanciful or science fiction. Some stuff we agree to by way of commission, some ommision and other aspects you seriously have no control or recourse.

These are real world examples. service A subcontracts to service B (a third party) - A says they won't share or sell anything other than to share with B to improve services. B on the other hand never had you agree to anything, it is the end user's responsinility to contact B and read their privacy policy.

Also, look to Google for their example how they don't sell your data but monetize from it (and most reading how rtb/AdSense/admob work would agree it is selling your private data):
    https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/03/google-says-it-doesnt-sell-your-data-heres-how-company-shares-monetizes-and

There is a class action suit for the above practice right now. https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/Google-sued-for-selling-user-data-despite-claims-16157167.php

https://www.cpmlegal.com/media/news/15082__1_%202021-05-05%20Class%20Action%20Complaint.pdf

Read more how this all works:
    https://themarkup.org/the-breakdown/2021/09/02/what-does-it-actually-mean-when-a-company-says-we-do-not-sell-your-data

#27 35 days ago

I’ve seen some content creators promoting the Brave Browser to help with personal privacy. Can anyone speak to that is it effective/ a good idea? (this is not my wheelhouse at all)

#28 35 days ago

Christ, the very first 2 links you attached took me to a website you have to pay to read the article, and i have no idea what the other was trying to do, i closed it down while it was still trying to connect.

Use your brain and a VPN. Or sit in a corner and worry about Big Brother all day. But leave this shit somewhere else.

I'm gonna go play pinball.

#29 35 days ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Christ, the very first 2 links you attached took me to a website you have to pay to read the article, and i have no idea what the other was trying to do, i closed it down while it was still trying to connect.
    Use your brain and a VPN. Or sit in a corner and worry about Big Brother all day. But leave this shit somewhere else.
    I'm gonna go play pinball.

Yeah, you have to pay for access to the NYT. I still subscribe for the news that's fit to print.

VPN / wireguard is only a small part of the solution. If you never learned about the technique of fingerprinting, all your VPN does is obfuscate your IP address and (hopefully) ensure https connections through and through. A VPN does not block the functionality of cookies, pixels, and tags.

Here is a very basic facts and myths of VPNs:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/753661/vpn-myths-debunked-what-vpns-can-and-cannot-do/

None of the links provided are nefarious and all are reputable. If you had an issue, it is common practice for some services to block known subnets associated with VPNs. Our organization blocks all associated major players from access (like Nord and IPVanish).

So, I'm trying to help others do what you advocate - use your brain. This is beyond "big brother" - this is your privacy, your data and your loss.

This thread will stay right here. The moderators feel it is relevant to pinball since it is growing increasingly interconnected. When is more knowledge ever a bad thing? Ignorance is not bliss.

#30 35 days ago
    Quoted from EJS:

I’ve seen some content creators promoting the Brave Browser to help with personal privacy. Can anyone speak to that is it effective/ a good idea? (this is not my wheelhouse at all)

You should read through some news articles and form your own opinion.

There was controversy brave is a scam. I do not think so but draw your own conclusions. Another alternative is FOSS browser.

the websites here can send you along a path to help minimize how much companies take advantage and profit from you. Minimize, not eliminate.

#31 35 days ago
    Quoted from P1nhead:

When is more knowledge ever a bad thing? Ignorance is not bliss.

Let’s just make sure that this ‘knowledge’ is actually rooted in reality. Because you have seen fit to conflate a number of various privacy concerns together, and point to various links discussing different issues without discussing at all for example how this information is actually gathered or disseminated (which in most cases it is NOT… it is merely stored locally via cookies, etc. and then served back up to you on your same device from different sites) it appears scarier to those who don’t understand how it currently works than it should.

I don’t think anyone would argue that privacy concerns are both valid and that people need to be aware of the possibilities of info being gathered inappropriately, but like anything else… the reality of it is in the details. Without getting into the specifics of a given platform people are using to get online (e.g. iOS or Android apps, Chrome, etc) making claims about what dangers people are actually currently facing is a step too far.

#32 35 days ago

Also - I still am uncertain how nearly all of this in any way relates to the OP Stern Privacy Policy.

#33 35 days ago
    Quoted from skink91:

Let’s just make sure that this ‘knowledge’ is actually rooted in reality. Because you have seen fit to conflate a number of various privacy concerns together, and point to various links discussing different issues without discussing at all for example how this information is actually gathered or disseminated (which in most cases it is NOT… it is merely stored locally via cookies, etc. and then served back up to you on your same device from different sites) it appears scarier to those who don’t understand how it currently works than it should.
    I don’t think anyone would argue that privacy concerns are both valid and that people need to be aware of the possibilities of info being gathered inappropriately, but like anything else… the reality of it is in the details. Without getting into the specifics of a given platform people are using to get online (e.g. iOS or Android apps, Chrome, etc) making claims about what dangers people are actually currently facing is a step too far.

See the class action against Google. Also, reference the European efforts now to eliminate RTB from the EU as violation of GDPR and how, even under current structure, data brokers can violate the spirit of GDPR without running foul of the letter.

These privacy concerns are not conflated together, they are all deeply interdependent. I'm not sure what else can enlighten you to that - take the effort to actually understand this.

You go into Nordstrom's, the Bluetooth beacon can determine location of your device(s) within centimeters. You do not need to connect to it. I see the hardware address, it goes in the database. I see how long you spent at the jewelry counter, i see when you left the store, I see when you hit another beacon in Best Buy. You visited CPU-monkey comparing processors, the cookie and pixel tracking used on your phone (mind you, pixels cannot be turned off and they can pull quite a staggering bit of identifying data... they often appear in emails) now links the cookie, Bluetooth address, and the pixel from your Zales account and the last promo email they sent (not a cookie, something you cannot delete). This "fingerprint" is not hard to form and it sold in one form or another directly or given access to as a fee for a platform (which Google does with rtb).

The broker service sees you are shopping for more expensive things. Access to serve you adds is sold. Now, you get an offer from Affirm or Capital One to open a new line of credit. Instead of paying cash, you take the Affirm route and pay 3.99% interest to spread a payment over years instead of just paying everything right then.

It seems convoluted because it is. Just because data is stored locally does not mean it is not shared (and brokered) without your consent or control. You really should at least read about browser fingerprinting. Here is a quick, accessible read: https://www.techradar.com/features/browser-fingerprinting-explained

Anyone can see (virtually or in real time) if they have a uniquely identifiable browser fingerprint (along with ways to close the privacy gap):
    https://coveryourtracks.eff.org/

This is operating system agnostic. You can read for yourself directly from Google, Apple, Amazon and the like exactly how developers can implement tracking. You can also read from the FTC directly each example I have brought up and why this is a major issue in the USA and abroad (since you didn't trust the NY Times or other reliable sources). Here is another example:

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/news/press-releases/2024/01/ftc-order-prohibits-data-broker-x-mode-social-outlogic-selling-sensitive-location-data?ref=lite.verity.news

https://www.ftc.gov/business-guidance/blog/2024/01/what-goes-shadows-ftc-action-against-data-broker-sheds-light-unfair-deceptive-sale-consumer-location

Stern has a privacy policy. They will share with a third party, they have no actual control what that third party does. It has happened in the past and it can happen in the present, said third party can do what they want.

We have no clue what various SDKs stern or its 3rd party is leveraging (including the licensing agreements Stern agrees to in order to develop and implement)... none of it is transparent.

All available information is gobbled up. This is not big brother, it is big data. It is all relevant and valuable to someone.

#34 35 days ago

The good thing is someone is watching out for us at the consumer protection agency, they got new hires too....who you ask?

topmen (resized).jpgtopmen (resized).jpg
    #35 35 days ago

Damn! I wish I was smart enough to type half of shit out.

#36 34 days ago

It's OK, just enjoy the tech like me.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/privacy-policy?hl=oshara and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.