8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by julien42
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rick432.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Just got my PinSound, and am doing some reading on it.
    As a resource for others:

Required file structure:
    http://www.pinsound.org/sound-files-usage/

Miscellaneous downloads (requires registration):
    http://pinsound-community.org/forum/

Some questions, based on newest firmware (as of this writing, v 0006 from September 1, 2015):

(1) The first time one uses new custom music files, if they are not already .wav, then the hardware automatically converts them to .wav format from either .zip (as long as zipped in proper directory format, or only if INDIVIDUAL music files zipped and placed in proper format folder structure) or .ogg (as long as individual music files are in .ogg and placed in proper format folder structure). Is that right?

(2) The folder structure (audio>(Whatever name, not important, just needs a folder at this level)>five-function subfolders: jingle, music, sfx, single, and voice folders>number and dash subfolders of ####-text format>actual sound file with ANY name, but .wav format) needs to be there.
    But one can put the files in ANY of the five function subfolders no matter what they do, as long as the file name itself has the right NUMBER attached. So, for example, with Tommy, subfolder 000112-jackpot, could be called ANYTHING, like subfolder 000112-rootbeer, but the number of "000112" designates it as the jackpot sound. And it will work if it is in ANY of the five-function subfolders (jingle, music, sfx, single, or voice), regardless of whether or not it is a jingle/music/sfx/single/or voice. That the function-subfolders are really there to help creator organization, but the PinSound board plays the right sounds strictly based on the number on the subfolder, NOT which functional subfolder it is in.
    And not to forget, MULTIPLE .wav files can be under a #####-text level subfolder, and there will be a random selection by the PinSound board which .wav to play when the proper game situation arises, based on the actual NUMBER on the subfolder, NOT based on which of the five-function subfolders it is in (which is why the numbered subfolders have to be unique, even across the different five-function folders.

Is that right?

I say this, because I am comparing the "Tommy_1994" sound file organization to the updated Tommy sound files, and though the number designates are the same (in both, for example, "000113" corresponds to "extral_ball", the subfolder locations within the five-function folders are slightly different. In Tommy1994, that subfolder is under voice, but in TommyUpdated, it is under jingle).

1 week later
    #4 8 years ago
    Quoted from julien42:

you are not totally right :
    every wav file will play if the number is ok, but depending of the jingle/music/sfx/single/or voice rep
    the rules are not the same
    Here are a few examples, but many more things are possible working on settings :
    music : , depending on the number : main music loop or mission music (with a timer)
    jingle : plays only one time with the music vol lowered (or cut off depending settings)
    sfx : many sfx can be played at the same time
    voice : on a few can be played but with another vol effect
    single : plays once (en of game)

So why was the Tommy remix made with so many subfolders located in different spots than the original sound collection subfolder assignments?

Also, when I want to make my own mix, do I use the PinSound software to test it out? Is that how it is supposed to work?

Thanks, your response is very helpful!

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from julien42:

I don't remember exactly. But i think there were a few mistakes in the first mix.
    And maybe i changed one or two sounds to put them in the jingle rep, for a better effect in my opinion.
    But i dont think there are so many changes.
    And of course mistakes are still possible on my 1.0 mix.
    You can use of course the pinsound studio to play mix (psrec files). And then use your imagination and wav files to
    create your own mix. Just need a little practise.
    My last mix
    ยป YouTube video

Oh, I don't want to sound like I'm COMPLAINING about your mix! I love it! I'm just trying to learn so that I can adjust it to my own individual tastes! Just your posts here have helped a lot!

Thanks, and I'm enjoying the Tommy a lot more with the new sounds!

I'm thinking about making a "Whomage" mix with a bunch of different WHO songs from different albums, but I'm not sure how to begin. So I was looking at the construction of your Tommy mix to give me an idea.

Is there a more "advanced" mix than the 1.0?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rick432.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-questions?tu=Rick432 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.