co2 (resized).jpg
20240406_072706 (1) (resized).jpg
20240331_103144 (resized).jpg
Resized_20240329_100802_1711721300503 (resized).jpeg
Resized_20240330_121550_1711816867864 (resized).jpeg
Resized_20240330_121539_1711816868028 (resized).jpeg
koi (resized).jpeg
20240313_190728 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Oshara.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#163 3 months ago

Any websites you guys recommend for someone just getting started? Thinking of starting with a 30 gallon freshwater setup, but the more I read the more intimidating a tank seems . .

#170 3 months ago

Thanks guys, really appreciate the info. And damn Santa, thank you so much for the detailed breakdown. Honestly I've been a bit overwhelmed with cycling/starting the tank your method seems super manageable.

I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions after I go to the store and talk to them. Sounds like you guys wouldn't recommend one of those starter kits like https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/aqueon-led-29-gallon-aquarium-kit?

And as a pure novice, should I worry that live plants add another level of complexity vs plastic? In the long term we eventually want to have a larger saltwater tank but want something relatively straightforward to start with for now.

#172 3 months ago

Thanks NQ, appreciate the advice! Mind me asking why you recommend a larger tank? My thought was that 29 was a good size price-wise and effort to get started and learn, then we can figure out down the road whether we want to get more complex and/or bigger.

Also, please let me know if I'm hijacking the thread with my questions. I can take it to PMs.

#185 3 months ago
Quoted from ScubaScott:

pl

As a beginner, stay with fresh water and live plants are much more appealing and serve a purpose. Routine water changes are important. One word to live by in this hobby is PATIENCE. It's difficult to see a newly set up tank so empty in the beginning, but it has to go through the cycling process. "Santa" has highlighted this very well and agree 100%. Now, as for salt water. Oh boy, salt water. Been there, done that. Yes, beautiful and challenging. That is a whole different side of the hobby. The larger the tank, the better. Very complex filtering and a much more costly side of the aquarium hobby. If I could have back the costs I dumped into the marine aquarium years ago, I'd have a couple more LEs in my line up. A bag of 3 neons is around $12. 1 pygmy angle is around $40-$70 depending on the species. Reef or fish only? There's alot to learn in the marine part of the hobby. Go with a nice planted fresh water tank. Anubis are great starter plants. Very easy to grow. Nice pieces of wood.
Use the right gravel for a planted tank. If you have the room, I'd go with at least a 40 - 55 gallon. Right now I've seen great specials at Petco on tanks. Once a year they have great prices during their " tank sale". As for the live stock, stay with a local aquarium hobbyist store. Good luck.

Thanks Scott, appreciate the advice! Yeah I think after a bunch of great info from Santa and researching / spending time at every fish store in the area, I think we'll be freshwater for the foreseeable future. Decided to go bigger than originally intended, most likely in the 60s range. We really like the look of a rimless tank and high gloss cabinet, and will probably end up with a Proclear Prostar Rimless or Red Sea Reefer.

Hope we don't get overwhelmed with the sump but really like the convenience of everything being in one place and the clean look of the tank. The store we're buying it from is right up the street and folks there have been super friendly, so if we get in trouble at least we have them close by to talk to. Wish us look tomorrow when we go back and decide!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Oshara.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-aquarium-club-the-other-world-behind-glass?tu=Oshara and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.