Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 80 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Borygard
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Snailman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#55 7 years ago

Completely agreed that Pinburgh and ReplayFX was amazing... again. And it was even better than last year. The staff and volunteers are obsessively committed to putting on a premier enjoyable event, and making improvements. That they've come this far on only their 2nd year is astounding.

Quoted from zsciaeount:

2) The big break in the day is a bit odd... it's too late for lunch and a bit too early for dinner. I suppose this is so we aren't out during the lunch rush and have more time, but it would be nice to have more time near lunch to grab a quick bite without feeling rushed.

I don't find it odd. Completely necessary to have a meal break. Since round 1 doesn't start until 10am, it affords time to eat a good sized breakfast, and you can either bring your own snack or purchase something at the concession between rounds 2-3. Getting dinner right around 5pm doesn't seem too early for dinner, in particular if you haven't had a full lunch. The break is either going to happen between rounds 2 and 3, or between rounds 3 and 4.

Quoted from zsciaeount:

4) The floors are concrete slab, and there is a lot of standing. I stand for a living, wearing 40lbs of lead, so I thought I had pretty good stamina, but by the time tiebreakers rolled around on day 2, my body was on fire. Though I'm sure it'd be expensive, it would be nice to have the competition area covered in a low-pile carpet, like PAPA HQ.

Do more sitting. Once you've watched an opponent's ball or two to learn the crucial feeds, plunge, etc, make an effort to sit every moment that you're not playing. Encourage the other people in your group to do the same so you can socialize while you get off your feet.
    I, too, forget to do this as often as I should. But I've brought a simply folding tripod chair the past two years, and it's been great. ReplayFX made a point to look into the cost of carpet, and deemed it was too expensive... and they were transparent with this and announced it ahead of time, so that people would be prepared.

Quoted from zsciaeount:

5) Having more sitting areas near the games would be nice to prevent pain and fatigue, maybe even a line of benches in the middle of the rows. There's certainly enough space to accommodate this.

The aisles with pins facing inward on both sides of the aisle were the most crowded and I'd argue that there is absolutlely NOT room to put a line of benches or chairs in the middle of those aisles. I then looked around to see if there was room to move the outer row of pins toward the side walls, but then I noticed the power strip areas built into the floor, and it was readily apparent that each row of pins had to be centered on the strip of electrical outlets.

Ditto on the practice comments from others: it's not feasible to practice all (or even a decent % of the pins) the pins you MIGHT play in Pinburgh. The 1 hour practice time at the beginning is sufficient for a few basic warm up games, and gives staff a chance to get last minute feedback on any pin issues.

Pinburgh & Replay FX fees: I don't know of any show out there that decouples the tourney from the event to allow tourney players to only pay/play in the tourney, and not have to pay for the show. I think this is an unreasonable request. My opinion is that Pinburgh and Replay FX are both OUTSTANDING deals and bang for your buck. And I brought my entire family of five, and three of us also played in Pinburgh.

Coin drop: No way. It is SOOOOO much better and easier to not have to deal with carrying a pocketful of tokens around to coin up each game. It also cuts down on the time each bank takes to play by not having to coin up each pin. This was a huge improvement to NOT have to do coin drop.

I actually thought the convention hall was quite cold at times. So I wouldn't make it any cooler. To each their own.

Quoted from zsciaeount:

11) Invent a time machine that lets me fast-forward life until the next Pinburgh

^^^^ THIS 100x.

#77 7 years ago
    Quoted from EricR:

This is a good idea. I was talking to some people about the same thing at the show. During the finals it was a little tough to see the screens from the back few rows. It would be great if they could get one very large display to put up the featured match on, I would contribute towards funding that on a Kickstarter or whatever.

Please continue to give constructive feedback and good ideas to the Pinburgh and ReplayFX organizers. I have full faith in them -- based on both their track record of putting on a fantastic show, and how they used feedback to make improvements from last year to this year, and because they're just all-around good people -- to incorporate good ideas into next year's ReplayFX and Pinburgh tournament.

Do keep in mind that not only is it difficult to get all those cameras, cables, equipment, computers, boards, etc set up... but they're having to dismantle and move all that equipment that has a permanent home elsewhere.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Snailman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinburgh-2016-in-depth-impressions?tu=Snailman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.