Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

00-99 Unit 2 (resized).jpg
Total Sequence2 (resized).jpg
Night Rider Extra Ball relay (resized).jpg
Night Rider Drop Target Reset 2 (resized).jpg
DT Setting 2 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I'm restoring an EM Night Rider and while I wait on better weather to finish the cabinet, I'm turning my attention to a couple of scoring anomalies I've only just noticed after completing the playfield swap and refreshing of the bottom EM board.

Here's the first one: Drop Target Bank Reset & Scoring
I have the DROP TARGET ADJUSTMENT plug set to CONSERVATIVE and the LEFT AND RIGHT OUT ADJUSTMENT also set to CONSERVATIVE. That should result in this behavior:
DT Setting 2 (resized).jpgDT Setting 2 (resized).jpg

Here's a video of the behavior I'm experiencing (chimes disconnected):

So far I have:
- confirmed both plugs are making the proper connections with continuity
- confirmed the Total Sequence Relay switches are clean and gapped properly

Anyone have a suggestion on where to look next? Seems like something to do with the right bank reset but I'm not sure what "tells" the right bank to reset individually (vs. getting reset when the left bank resets).

Here's the second one: Right Outline & Extra Ball
When the Extra Ball is lit for the right outlane, and the rollover is switched, points are scored but the Same Player Shoots Again is not awarded. It is awarded when the left outlane is lit and hit.

Here's a video of the behavior I'm experiencing (chimes disconnected):

So far I have:
- confirmed with a MM the double stacked leaf switch for the right outlane works for both leaves
- confirmed continuity to the 00-90 Unit. The 00-90 Unit appears to be working but I'm not sure how to confirm.

Anyone have a suggestion on where to look next on this one as well?

Thanks in advance....

#2 1 year ago

For the first issue, I suspect the switch in the red box isn't closing:
Night Rider Drop Target Reset 2 (resized).jpgNight Rider Drop Target Reset 2 (resized).jpg
At the start of the ball the Total Sequence relay isn't active so you must complete the path in red on the left through all the drop targets to fire the Drop Target Reset relay. After that, the Total Sequence relay is active (until the ball drains?) so you only need to complete the path through either of the drop targets banks. The path for resetting the drop targets after completing the right target bank is shown on the right side above. In your case since the Right Targets don't reset I'd suspect the switch in the red box or its wiring. Have you tried jumpering around it?

/Mark

#3 1 year ago

For the 2nd issue since the left side works that just leaves the switches in the red boxes or their wiring as likely culprits:
Night Rider Extra Ball relay (resized).jpgNight Rider Extra Ball relay (resized).jpg
There's likely a jones plug between the playfeld switch and the 00-90 unit which could also be an issue.

/Mark

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkG:

For the first issue, I suspect the switch in the red box isn't closing:

Udaman, @markg! So when I refreshed the EM board a couple of months ago, I cleaned up the gunk on all of the leaf switch contact points (and actually replaced a few leafs, too). I found a switch in the Total Sequence relay that still looked a little gunky at the contact points, and after cleaning it up the right bank is now resetting properly. Thank you so much for the pointer.

I'll take a closer look at the 00-90 Unit / Extra Ball issue with the right outlane after work tonight.

Cheers.

Total Sequence2 (resized).jpgTotal Sequence2 (resized).jpg
#5 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkG:

For the 2nd issue since the left side works that just leaves the switches in the red boxes or their wiring as likely culprits:

Thanks again, @markg. This tracked down to a slightly mangled Make/Break switch on the 00-99 Unit. I had trouble identifying it at first as the schematic calls out the right outlane EB wire as Gray with White, but I could find only a solid Gray wire tied up in the 00-99 Unit bundle. Still, that was it....it lead me to the Make/Break switch that I had to futz with several times to get it consistently working for both outlanes (I'd get the right outlane to work and then the left wouldn't, and vice versa). I'll probably just wind up replacing the switch leafs altogether, but for now the adjustment is working.

00-99 Unit 2 (resized).jpg00-99 Unit 2 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/night-rider-em-drop-target-reset-issue-amp-extra-ball-issue?hl=mathazar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.