Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by hypnotoad
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 4 months ago

I’ve been in the hobby for a year and I really enjoy modern Sterns personally. Here’s my current lineup right now. What do you think else is worth buying that I do not have currently that is easy/moderate for beginners and not too difficult as the last few games I’ve bought, and have been very difficult. Namely FF but I love it .. and bought Toy story four but traded in after a year I was sick of it. It was the worst game ever not a fan of jersey jack.

Here’s my current lineup

Bond
    Mando
    Foo Fighters
    Godzilla
    Deadpool
    Iron Maiden

I prefer Stern and new modern ones just my preference are there any games you think that are worth getting that are not in my collection already because I am ready to buy another game already… I am officially addicted

How far am looking at Star Wars premium or Jurassic Park pro but I heard Jurassic Park can be very difficult so maybe I should settle with Star Wars but I would love to hear of anyone else has recommendations

#2 4 months ago
    Quoted from BrokenChair:

I’ve been in the hobby for a year and I really enjoy modern Sterns personally. Here’s my current lineup right now. What do you think else is worth buying that I do not have currently that is easy/moderate for beginners and not too difficult as the last few games I’ve bought, and have been very difficult. Namely FF but I love it .. and bought Toy story four but traded in after a year I was sick of it. It was the worst game ever not a fan of jersey jack.
    Here’s my current lineup
    Bond
    Mando
    Foo Fighters
    Godzilla
    Deadpool
    Iron Maiden
    I prefer Stern and new modern ones just my preference are there any games you think that are worth getting that are not in my collection already because I am ready to buy another game already… I am officially addicted

Games that play a little longer you don't have:
    Elvira
    Batman 66

Games everyone agrees are easier
    Munsters

Great games for beginners that are not modern:
    World Cup Soccer 94
    Pinbot

If I had to give you a single recommendation I'd say Elvira House Of Horrors as it is readily available and a longer player. Notice I didn't say easier, but it is possible to have a longer game and drain less. I'd also put Lord of the Rings (2003) in this category.

If you want something very different that is easy to explain but hard to master with shorter ball times and relatively easy to keep going, look into Fish Tales (1992).

#3 4 months ago

Attack from Mars,not Stern but would fit nicely

#4 4 months ago

Great recommendation guys keep them coming. My local dealer has a lord of the rings for sale right now but wants like 10 K for.

#6 4 months ago

Stern Star Trek.

#7 4 months ago

JP premium

#8 4 months ago

Games not brutally hard as I’ve head is it ?

Just to tell you my skill level I can only enjoy foo fighters at 20 second ball time 3 min game time replay 4 starting at 80 mil lol

#9 4 months ago
    Quoted from BrokenChair:

Games not brutally hard as I’ve head is it ?
    Just to tell you my skill level I can only enjoy foo fighters at 20 second ball time 3 min game time replay 4 starting at 80 mil lol

Try to find one to play and judge. It is pinball at its finest though. It has some tight shots and requires precision to score big, but I think casual players can enjoy it on another level. Like starting T. rex modes is not hard.

Look beyond modern sterns. Someone mentioned AFM. Look at Cactus Canyon. These are fun and accessible games.

#10 4 months ago

I'll second JP prem. Love mine. Enough to do to be fun, yet not overly complicated that you can't figure it out. I'd need the prem on this one tho - physical raptor lock and moving dino head are fantastic. I have a MET pro - not adverse to buying a pro when I dont see the value for me..but JP prem all day.

#11 4 months ago

I’m a die hard Star Wars fan so I’m looking primarily as first pic Star Wars pre

But I will take a look at Jurassic park problem nobody near me has a premium

#12 4 months ago

Punchy The Clown.

Only thing missing in your great line up.

LTG : )

#13 4 months ago

Have you considered AC/DC? Not overly hard, but can be a bit of a drain machine.

#14 4 months ago
    Quoted from OSUBuckeye98:

Have you considered AC/DC? Not overly hard, but can be a bit of a drain machine.

I’ve considered every game mentioned …

But mostly looking for newer sterns within past 6 years

#15 4 months ago

Lebowski. Or the new Elton John.

Lebowski is a great modern game with an awesome theme and music that shoots really well and has a cool old-school twist on the modes (adding some balance to your current line up).

Elton John's reviews seem to say it shoots like a modern stern and is really fun.

#16 4 months ago
    Quoted from BrokenChair:

I’m a die hard Star Wars fan so I’m looking primarily as first pic Star Wars pre

I have had a JP Premium and its a great game, but it is not the easiest shooter. I would strongly recommend against this for you based on your criteria (but relax everyone its a great game).

From what you have described, you want an easy shooter with longer ball times.

Since you want games that are new or available newer, I would recommend a CGC remake of Monster Bash to you as well as a Munsters. Not my favorite games, but they meet your criteria.

Now... based off your "noobness" and your ask, are you aware that you can adjust the outlanes on your game? Increase the number of games in software to get further along? If you "suck" and really enjoy playing, aside from getting better you can close up the outlanes on your game.

Closing up the outlanes (or lowering those posts) WILL make the game easier and result in longer ball times.

You can absolutely adjust these yourself and we can happily talk you through it if this is news to you.
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#17 4 months ago

I agree with santa that Elvia would be a good fit.

Star wars is nice sitting next to Mando, but it is fast and you will have to nudge it to say in play.

I recently got a TMNT LE, I think it's significantly easier than JP, but if you live in a place that has locations, play it first. I would recommend a Pro over the Prem/le, not much is taken out, and the glider mech on the prem/le is a PITA. It does score more like a JJP, so add 2 zeros to your scores to feel better. Best of all... they're cheap right now.

#18 4 months ago

I don't think CCr should be overlooked here. It's not a Stern, but it's modern, can be found NIB, is a great overall value, and is super beginner friendly.

#19 4 months ago

Ghostbusters. Wait for the Vault. I am...

#20 4 months ago

For what you're looking for. ELVIRA

#21 4 months ago

All of my outlane posts are at the bottom and about half my game have the large Genie posts. I just really suck right now I’m hoping I’ll get better. I’ve also adjusted the settings in the software to make the game as easy as possible…

Thanks for all the recommendation guys. I really appreciate it. If anyone has any more to add, please feel free. I am considering all that has been mentioned. I’m leaning towards Elvira . My dealer has a monster Bash but he’s asking too much for it. My budget is around 6 to 8K. That’s why I like Stern pro so much because I can buy more machines for less money. Most of my Stern’s are pros, except for Godzilla.

#22 4 months ago
    Quoted from BrokenChair:

Great recommendation guys keep them coming. My local dealer has a lord of the rings for sale right now but wants like 10 K for.

You're a fool if you consider buying a LOTR at that price. Don't do it. Buy within the community and save both some money and a metaphorical kick in the nuts.

Get an AFM or MM and call it a day. JP Prem will eat your lunch and ask for seconds if you cant make shots nearly on command. If you can't make shots, you'll be rapid fire flipping, hitting the truck and that'll be about it.

I have a Pro, and I can never make it past the Raptors or the Pteranodon (translation: I suck). I always go through the TRex and Spinosaurus (with only successfully capturing the Spinosaurus 2x in almost 2 years (again... I suck).

#23 4 months ago

I’m not the biggest Star Wars (pin) fan personally, but if you love the theme and want to stick to modern games it would be a good choice in your collection. A fast Ritchie game would make your lineup even more diverse IMO game play wise as you get better I think you will find most of the games in your collection will start to play longer and longer the better you get. Star Wars would fill a nice slot and they are usually a good price.

If you don’t mind going back “farther”, Star Trek pro is one of my favorite games.

#24 4 months ago

Iron Man! You need a kick in the nuts every once in a while!

#25 4 months ago

I would not recommend Star Wars. If you do end up buying one, I would pick up a used one at a significant discount.

#26 4 months ago
    Quoted from finman2000:

I would not recommend Star Wars. If you do end up buying one, I would pick up a used one at a significant discount.

May I ask why you wouldn’t recommend this title I’m curious

#27 4 months ago

To bad that your JJP experience was toy story. Truuly terrible pin.

I think you should give hobbit a shot. Great lasting pin with easy shots great rules and athmosphere.
    A good pin for learning post transfers etc.

#28 4 months ago

I’d agree with the comments regarding CGC games such as MBr & CCr, they are very approachable and fun games in their own right.

But you specifically said you enjoy modern stern pros…….so maybe try stranger things or venom.

I personally find JP very fun/rewarding but it is on the difficult side. I’ve been playing a lot of TMNT and enjoying that lately as well but that game can be brutal.

#29 4 months ago

Play as many games as you can before you buy. I just played a Bond 60th for the first time over the weekend and if I had the money id get that tomorrow. And I'm not a Bond guy.

#30 4 months ago

Shadow!!

#31 4 months ago
    Quoted from BrokenChair:

May I ask why you wouldn’t recommend this title I’m curious

I have a Star Wars pro and had a lot of time on a Star Wars LE.

It's a great game but...

The over emphasis on the action button kills it for competitive people. There is a roaming multipliers button that kills it for some. Essentially you press the action button to activate the multipliers (turning them green) and press it again to turn them red, move them with the flipper buttons, and press the action button again to activate the multipliers in a different spot. I always put the multipliers in the death star spot as I don't care for that functionality. The multipliers are always on, and build up to 40x. So you can end up in a situation where if you get the multipliers up to 40 (happens on its own) and you hit the video mode with the multipliers activated you are pretty much guaranteed the grand champion score. There is alot of emphasis on taking your hands off the flipper buttons and moving those multipliers around, or hitting it repeatedly in "tie fighter" mode to activate a multiball.

Now I really like the game, but hate that function. If you are repeatedly going after the high score and/or competitive, the game can be less a function of who can aim/control the ball better and more about who can take their hands off the flipper buttons and hit the action button the fastest.

What it does excel with is asset utilzation and immersion. If you want to play a game and try to get to the wizard mode by completing all the requirements, and ignore the multipliers it can be a great game.

The one mode that people complain about is the "escape from bobba fett" mode as its not very evident how to activate it. Also if you are competing for a high score some modes are worth more than others, so people tend to go for the same modes over and over... also, the big toy is a "tie fighter on a spring" unless you have the premium with the hyper loop that makes the Death Star shot harder or the exploding death star that you'll be lucky to see one game in 10.

I still like it, but its not perfect.

#32 4 months ago

I'd recommend Elvira: HOH and CGC's Cactus Canyon if you're looking for a newer game with longer ball times.

Don't touch JP2 with a 100-ft bargepole if you find Foo hard (hahahaha). Genuinely, JP2 is brutal. Likewise, I'd recommend against Star Wars (also fast and pretty brutal, especially the outlane drains), Fish Tales (mine has ball times in the seconds), and Iron Man (the person who recommended that was taking the mick - it's basically Fish Tales with a different theme).

#33 4 months ago

I’m leaning heavily torwards EHoH problem is nobody I know or near here has it …

That’s a bummer closest place is 70 miles away and I just got into a car accident so car not fixed till next week ;

Get the 40th anniversary right ?

another bummer game is way outta my price point..

Yeh Toy Story 4 was awful experience for me what an absolutely terrible game bought it blindly when I first got into pinball… traded it in for foo fighters which isn’t exactly fun for me cause how hard it is but I love the game I’d that makes sense..

Maybe I’ll just get a venom pro any feedback on that beast ?

#34 4 months ago

What’s fair value for a lord of the rings in good condition with about 300 plays? Dealer wants 10k

I decided to skip venom I went to play it and was heavily disappointed just my opinion

dealer is also getting NIB stranger things pro what do you guys think about that title?

#35 4 months ago
    Quoted from BrokenChair:

I’m leaning heavily torwards EHoH problem is nobody I know or near here has it …
    That’s a bummer closest place is 70 miles away and I just got into a car accident so car not fixed till next week ;
    Get the 40th anniversary right ?
    another bummer game is way outta my price point..
    Yeh Toy Story 4 was awful experience for me what an absolutely terrible game bought it blindly when I first got into pinball… traded it in for foo fighters which isn’t exactly fun for me cause how hard it is but I love the game I’d that makes sense..
    Maybe I’ll just get a venom pro any feedback on that beast ?

Car problems aside (bummer), 70 miles is considered really close for getting a pin you want. People are known to drive hundreds of miles.

#36 4 months ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Car problems aside (bummer), 70 miles is considered really close for getting a pin you want. People are known to drive hundreds of miles.

Yeah I agree with you. It’s 70 miles just a play one that said an arcade not for sale but I decided it’s way too out of my price point. I’m looking at around 7 to 8000 max because I’m a pro person.

#37 4 months ago
    Quoted from BrokenChair:

Yeah I agree with you. It’s 70 miles just a play one that said an arcade not for sale but I decided it’s way too out of my price point. I’m looking at around 7 to 8000 max because I’m a pro person.

My mistake. I thought it was to buy/pick up a game.

#38 4 months ago
    Quoted from BrokenChair:

I highly recommend playing a Star Wars Stern before purchasing.

#39 4 months ago

Any thoughts on stranger things ??

#40 4 months ago
    Quoted from BrokenChair:

I like Stranger Things it has great code and a tried and true layout.

#41 4 months ago
    Quoted from BrokenChair:

It’s a good game with very good theme integration. If you like the show I think you would really enjoy the game. It has a similar layout to medieval madness and attack from mars and while it doesn’t achieve the greatness of those games it’s very worthwhile. Also good for casual players and not too difficult. Default flipper and sling strength can make it a lot harder than it needs to be so you can tune those down.

#42 4 months ago

Stranger Things is a lifetime game for me. The only machine I’ve bought NIB. As others have said, the *layout* is similar to medieval madness and AFM, but gameplay is much different. In MM and AFM, each shot in the fan is building each function. In ST, each shot is building towards an individual mode with different shots to complete it. It’s a very deep game; easy to understand, extremely difficult to master. I’m a pretty good player and have had one on location for nearly 2 years, and have yet to reach the final wizard mode. I would highly recommend a NIB pro, and add the UV kit. All in at 7300 and a phenomenal machine.

#43 4 months ago

Find yourself a Guardians of the Galaxy.
    Great game - medium difficulty - tons of terrific combos and things to do.
    I sold mine, and I'm having major seller's regret - which I never have.

Nothing wrong with Star Wars - good game, but many would agree Guardians is better.

#44 4 months ago

Sorry my friend, you are "looking for love in all the wrong places".

#45 4 months ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Sorry my friend, you are "looking for love in all the wrong places".

I don’t quite understand the metaphor care to explain please?

I’m leaning towards Star Wars, premium or Stranger Things pro

#46 4 months ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

The over emphasis on the action button kills it for competitive people.

Its funny I have heard that here but I find the use of the action button to be one reason to love the game in competitive settings. I cant just use my elbow to get decent scores against good players. Nothing better than getting to 20x and hitting a key shot. Both the maintenance of the multiplier and moving the multiplier add a lot to the game for me.

All the very good competitive players I have played against or watched at league on Star Wars have no problem with the action button which usually spells doom for me .....but still fun.

I will say that I much prefer the premium in home play but the pro in competitive play.

1 week later
    #47 4 months ago

Can't go wrong with MB and LOTR. I don't think either will lose value over time. You have a lot of games already, so maybe you want to go for high value, as you can always sell off one that you don't play much to make it work. GOTG would fit into your line-up. The cherry bomb multiball is unique. A lot more fun than SW. Try to check it out somewhere.
    Could not go wrong with Elvira: so many targets and fun theme. Nobody has mentioned AIQ, but it has some nice shots, not too hard. Lucky you, you have a great line-up already. Go for it.

#48 4 months ago
    Quoted from BrokenChair:

What’s fair value for a lord of the rings in good condition with about 300 plays? Dealer wants 10k
    I decided to skip venom I went to play it and was heavily disappointed just my opinion
    dealer is also getting NIB stranger things pro what do you guys think about that title?

IMO, that's too high a price. You should be able to find a nice one for less than 9K with a little patience and some haggling. There are multiple for sale in the marketplace right now.

#49 4 months ago

Also, isn’t there no real way to trust the audits for the older machines? Meaning assuming it’s from the first run then I’d be surprised it’s only 300 plays unless it was just sitting for a decade.

Curious to see if OP proceeded with a purchase but I’ll give my two cents since I have 4 that are mentioned (TMNT, LOTR, JP, and Star Wars Premium).

I blind bought Star Wars the same time I got Godzilla and basically never played it until recently. The first couple of times playing it was very fast which leads to short game times but I think it does compliment a somewhat larger collection if you have one where other games have longer ball times. I’m not a particular fan of the shot layout as they all seem too vertical compared to say, JP. I have started to play this a lot more ignoring the multiplier and trying to progress the story lines instead so this one is slowly growing on me.

I just got a JP and the pros with that and TMNT are the movie code versions that are out there that increase the integration factor. I like the variety of shots on the JP, played it a few times in the arcade first, but this is the machine that I play the most and keep coming back for more. Shots can be tight but rewarding and the games can be at least 2x-3x longer than SW, at least for me.

LOTR is a great game with the potential for longer ball times. Maybe harder to pick up at a decent price but so many wizard modes where you’re essentially progressing through the trilogy.

I’d recommend LOTR or JP where JP may be frustrated at first but as you get better you may appreciate having it long term.

#50 4 months ago
    Quoted from briyau15:

Also, isn’t there no real way to trust the audits for the older machines? Meaning assuming it’s from the first run then I’d be surprised it’s only 300 plays unless it was just sitting for a decade.

I was going to mention this. No, the audits can't be trusted in LOTR. The user can zero them out. They were also zeroed out by new software versions.

Don't rely on the audits. Instead, condition is king.

300 plays on a 20 year old game is only 15 per year! Even in a large collection that seems unlikely. I'll be most home users put 300 games on theirs within the first couple of months. I estimate that my LOTR has between 1750 - 2500 games in a 9 game collection and I think my games are on the low side because I have other hobbies and only a handful of friends who come play pinball 2-3 times a year.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/newbie-looking-for-a-recommendation-of-new-game?hl=dazedandconfused and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.