Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by RyanStl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1783472495baa071fd6117850869220ffd0e2683 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

I'm relatively new to the pinside forums. We currently have a Gottlieb Jungle King from my wife's late grandfather. It's in ok shape and we enjoy playing it.

I'm looking to get our first "new" pinball machine as a Christmas gift for my wife and boys (11 & 8). I'm trying to spend in the $5,000 - $6,000 range tops and would like something that will reasonably hold its value.

Right now, I'm debating between Avengers Infinity Quest Pro, TMNT Pro, and maybe the Star Wars "The Pin" edition. I want something that we will all enjoy. Any thoughts/suggestions.

I'm hoping to place an order so that I can have the machine arrive by Christmas. So far I've been looking at pinballs.com and some eBay sellers. Thanks for the input.

#2 3 years ago

Welcome. I’d suggest avengers as a first pin, but honestly, go with the theme you like best, they are all fun games. Start saving for your next game, it’s inevitable.

#3 3 years ago

Avoid ebay at all costs.

If it was any kind of good deal, somebody local would have came in and bought it.

#4 3 years ago

I have been leaning towards Avengers as I think it would be the theme we'd all like the most. There are eBay sellers that have "new" pro versions. All pricing seems about the same thought ~$5,900 for the pro version.

#5 3 years ago

Avoid "The Pin" if you want to retain value. Stick with arcade quality not home releases.

Avengers is awesome. A great game that you can walk up to and start playing plus there is a great deal going on, so lots to learn as you own it.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction...hobby.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from bmark3:

I have been leaning towards Avengers as I think it would be the theme we'd all like the most. There are eBay sellers that have "new" pro versions. All pricing seems about the same thought ~$5,900 for the pro version.

You'll pay tax on Ebay and anything in state. Find a distributor out of your state and shop around, every new Stern should include free shipping as well.

#7 3 years ago

If you get a new game shipped, DON'T sign for it if there is any damage to the box.

No matter what the delivery guy says, you can't make a damage claim latter once you sign for it.

#8 3 years ago

It’s going to be a great Christmas for you and family. Congrats!

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from bmark3:

Like vid said avoid eBay. Find a seller here on pinside or go to sterns website and search for a distributor. Give a few a call to see who will give you the best deal (some you may not have to pay sales tax, they may give breaks on shipping, etc). You can probably get one below retai. Personally, I use cointaker, but others will swear by their distros too.

#10 3 years ago

welcome!

I would order from a distributor, locally you have Betson and Gold coast. However most distributors will drop ship anywhere. Other distributors are Coin Taker, GEX, GAP, flippin out pinball, etc

A pro model will be great, and I agree do the theme you like, as that can be the make or break on a game. Even if it plays good. You could watch some gameplay on youtube (if things are shutdown in your area to test play). And get a feel if you think the game is for you.

#11 3 years ago

Avengers is a great game for your family. They're in high demand right now so it might be hard to find a deal. 5900 shipped isn't too bad, especially if you can escape paying sales tax.

#12 3 years ago

Please do some research, read this thread first: "Continued playfield issues with JJP and Stern "
    Buy a "Spooky" pin or a "American Pinball". People are loving "Hot Wheels" from American Pinball.
    Spooky and American will give you the best customer service, they answer the phone.
    Just my opinion, have a great holiday season.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from gjm:

Please do some research, read this thread first: "Continued playfield issues with JJP and Stern "
    Buy a "Spooky" pin or a "American Pinball". People are loving "Hot Wheels" from American Pinball.
    Spooky and American will give you the best customer service, they answer the phone.
    Just my opinion, have a great holiday season.

Shoot that stinks. I'll have to read up a little. Maybe I'm better off trying to find something used. I looked at Hot Wheels, but the theme seems meh to me. We're not big into Rick and Morty either. Hmmm...

#14 3 years ago

I'd give CoinTaker www.cointaker.com a call, they good people. It sounds like an awesome gift idea and should offer hours and hours of fun for the family.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from bmark3:

Shoot that stinks. I'll have to read up a little. Maybe I'm better off trying to find something used. I looked at Hot Wheels, but the theme seems meh to me. We're not big into Rick and Morty either. Hmmm...

Look at "Chicago Gaming" they have some great re-makes out. Monster Bash, Attack from Mars, these are awesome family fun pins.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from TwilightZone:

Avoid "The Pin" if you want to retain value. Stick with arcade quality not home releases.
    Avengers is awesome. A great game that you can walk up to and start playing plus there is a great deal going on, so lots to learn as you own it.
    Good luck and welcome to the addiction...hobby.

Are you certain? The Pin is one of the few Stern offerings that intrigue. It actually received great Reviews when Folks got a chance to play it.

#17 3 years ago

Avengers infinity quest pro would be a great choice.

#18 3 years ago

So I'm between Avengers and Jurassic Park at this point. Rick and Morty looks like fun, but is out of my price range and most likely unavailable.

How long does it usually take between order and arrival (likely dependent on distributor)?

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from bmark3:

So I'm between Avengers and Jurassic Park at this point. Rick and Morty looks like fun, but is out of my price range and most likely unavailable.
    How long does it usually take between order and arrival (likely dependent on distributor)?

Good choice. Either one.
    Cointaker for me also. I usual pick up but it’s been a while for NIB purchase for me.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from bmark3:

I for sure would suggest playing before you buy. I love The theme JP but was meh on the game.....may be a little hard for a family?

#21 3 years ago

You mentioned pinballs.com. They have a great showroom setup. Go and play and see what grabs you.

#22 3 years ago

+1 on drive there. If you are in a hurry to get it and want to guarantee problem free delivery, drive to the nearest distributor and load up your vehicle, they will help you load it. Unload it yourself with care. I bought my Medieval Madness at Automated over the phone and picked it up myself in Connecticut, they are pinballs.com for checking inventory. Might be a close enough drive for you or not you can decide.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from bmark3:

I haven't played AIQ yet but we have a JP and my 8 year old son and I play it together almost every day. He likes it better than he liked Deadpool. We have a TMNT on the way because the co-op is perfect for family play with kids.

#24 3 years ago

The shop in Connecticut (pinballs.com) is only about 3 hours away. That's a doable drive.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from bmark3:

The shop in Connecticut (pinballs.com) is only about 3 hours away. That's a doable drive.

If you have a hatchback, be careful sliding the cabinet in and out, the floor latch has to be covered or scratch and gouge city. Have a strong counterpart help you unload, it takes two people. Take note of how Automated trucks it to get in your vehicle and do likewise if possible on the unload.

#26 3 years ago

And good luck. My kids love playing electronic darts too. If you do that don't set it up too close to your pins though. I have the dart board in a wall mounted cabinet and with the doors open during play it blocks wayward darts from damaging any nearby pins. Arachnid Pro 800 is the one of choice.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from bmark3:

I think for kids jp or tmnt might be too tight, too hard to shoot. If you can find a good clean deadpool, they would go nuts. Long ball times and funny callouts. No adult settings tho, which I wish they had

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from bmark3:

Stern just put out a chart that said any new orders will be back ordered until next year. Only Stranger Things is in stock. So, I guess it just comes down to which distribs actually have something in stock & not spoken for. You might have to call around.

#29 3 years ago

Between Avengers and Jurassic Park...both are excellent games. The shots are much easier on Avengers, and if you like that theme better anyway, go for it.

Someone said to worry about the playfields...tens of thousands of people have been enjoying Stern games in the years since these “major issues” have started. Yeah, you might get some dimples or some little issues around the slingshots, but it’s only a big deal if you obsess about it. The vast majority of the experiences with NIB Stern Pros is many thousands of plays without any issues at all.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from TwilightZone:

What’s ”The Pin”?

#31 3 years ago
    1783472495baa071fd6117850869220ffd0e2683 (resized).jpg1783472495baa071fd6117850869220ffd0e2683 (resized).jpg
    #32 3 years ago
    Quoted from haveaniceswim:

What’s ”The Pin”?

My understanding is its a stripped down version recommended for home use only (like below Pro level). There are three that I'm aware of Star Wars, Transformers and Avengers.

#33 3 years ago

You are going to be limited on the NIB game titles on what is available through the rest of December. So you will have to start checking with multiple distributors. Don't forget to ask if sales taxes and shipping are included in the total price and whether it can get delivered before Christmas.

More and more people are wanting to do the same and time is running out.

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from bmark3:

I'm relatively new to the pinside forums. We currently have a Gottlieb Jungle King from my wife's late grandfather. It's in ok shape and we enjoy playing it.
    I'm looking to get our first "new" pinball machine as a Christmas gift for my wife and boys (11 & 8). I'm trying to spend in the $5,000 - $6,000 range tops and would like something that will reasonably hold its value.
    Right now, I'm debating between Avengers Infinity Quest Pro, TMNT Pro, and maybe the Star Wars "The Pin" edition. I want something that we will all enjoy. Any thoughts/suggestions.
    I'm hoping to place an order so that I can have the machine arrive by Christmas. So far I've been looking at pinballs.com and some eBay sellers. Thanks for the input.

Don’t buy a nib game.

#35 3 years ago

Thanks. I'm also looking at the market here for options within a reasonable distance.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from bmark3:

Thanks. I'm also looking at the market here for options within a reasonable distance.

Re-Make "Monster Bash" or the Re-Make "Attack from Mars" if you want NIB.

#37 3 years ago

I second those that said go on location and play some games, and figure out what you like. Clock is ticking though for Christmas. Cutting it close.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-guysuggestions?hl=zephee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.