(Topic ID: 164861)

Mike Chestnut's Plating Biz Continues On!

By sc93cobra

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by sc93cobra
  • Topic is favorited by 38 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9245 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9246 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9154 (resized).jpg
    IMG_9244 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7478 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7479 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7491 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7484 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7488 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7397 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7402 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7401 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7289_(resized).JPG
    IMG_7287_(resized).JPG
    IMG_7285_(resized).JPG
    #1 7 years ago

So in the evenings, for months now, I've been working to help Mike's dad with outstanding orders after we lost Mike in the accident. It looked as if another person was going to take this biz on and run it but he eventually decided it was not for him. When that happened, Mike's dad asked if I would would be willing to take it on and run with it as apart of our biz Hot Rod Arcade. It was a huge honor that he would even ask this, as I know many of you thought as much of Mike and the work he did as myself. So today we are announcing what we've been working on.

Pinballplating.com is a domain Mike bought and never got around to using. It's an honor to see it come to life and it's been with the help of many friends that has become a reality. Out of respect to those that were waiting on outstanding orders so many were waiting on after his passing, we have waited to share this statement: that we are officially taking new orders now! Thank you in advance for your support of this endeavor! We will continue to do Chrome - Brass - Nickel - Black Nickel - and soon will be adding Powder Coating as well!

Special thanks to Michael Rochelle, Vince Johnson and Andrew Fudge for your help in working through a bunch of this stuff to get to here. Also, special thanks to Ben Adkison for whipping together this site in literally a few days. It will have more added with a store in the future but we wanted to go ahead and get something up and going. Check it out and let us know what you think.

A very special thanks to the Chestnuts. They have become family to me and they really wanted to see this happen, if not I promise you it would not have. I'm so grateful for them and glad that this will continue to benefit them as well as all the rest of us in the hobby.

Feel free to reach me directly anytime at [email protected] or call/text @ 615-598-0024
    Check out the new site and let us know what you think, thanks!
    Chris
    http://www.pinballplating.com

#2 7 years ago

Great to hear. Its nice to see a bit of Mike live on.

#3 7 years ago

Good luck with this endeavor. Make them proud.

#4 7 years ago

No shortcuts!!!

Good-luck and congrats!

#5 7 years ago

Thank you guys! I hope to do it exactly as Mike would and intend to make his parents proud. If there is ever an issue, I promise it will be resolved as Mike would have done it as well.

#6 7 years ago

Congrats,Chris,
    Mike would be proud.

Chris worked very hard to help the Chestnut family . I spoke with him on several occasions about parts I had in limbo during this tragic time. He was good to his word and I am very confident in sending parts to him.

#7 7 years ago

Wow. Awesome! Congrats!

#8 7 years ago

Thank you for carrying on the torch and helping the pinball community! I've had lots of stuff plated by Mike in the past and will definitely need need more stuff plated in the future.

#9 7 years ago

congrats and best of luck!! I never had the opportunity to speak to mike or have him do any parts for me, but from all that I have read he was a great guy and knew what he was doing when it came to plating. also as a fellow rider, I understand the joy and the danger involved when riding.

I am glad his plating legacy lives on!!

#10 7 years ago

So woody76 is not handling the plating now?

#12 7 years ago

Got it, thanks.

#13 7 years ago

Great news. Good luck.

#14 7 years ago

Thanks Chris for your patience and all your help with all my parts and issues. My Elvis is a thing of beauty and my Getaway is chromed to the max thanks to Mike and you.

#15 7 years ago

It's been so awesome already getting to know so many other folks in the hobby over the past few months just dealing with the outstanding orders. Even just today, so many that I've never talked with before have called or emailed with encouragement, our family is excited about all of it. Thank you all for the support. It means more than you know!

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from sc93cobra:

Woody has his own business.

And Woody takes his stuff to the same plater that you do, correct?

just trying to figure out exactly what is the difference between the two new companies as my current understanding is that you are both providing the service/ middleman to the platers, but don't actually do any plating yourselves?

I never knew that is how it worked before so just checking on details now

#17 7 years ago

Great question, I use different shops for different things now - this is new to the whole pin plating thing, this allows me to offer a few more options with powder coating coming. I'd want to play around with powder coating more before I offer to our customers but we'll get there. It also allows for me to have the guy that does the best X jobs to do those jobs, meaning better products.
    In buying Mike's biz, I now have all of Mike's stock which allows us to do quick exchanges on many items, so send me your Indy gun to brass and I send you one I already have done on the shelf and you don't have to wait, etc. I hope to continue to offer more of those types of items that are ready on the shelf as time goes on. Making turn around time much faster.
    I've always felt from the beginning that Mike's biz could and should keep on and could continue to benefit his parents, and the agreement we made does that for years to come. That was long before I had any idea I would be asked to do it. I think Mike would have wanted it this way. Woody is a great guy and I do believe there is plenty of work to go around.
    The pro in using someone that has a biz taking care of it is quality control, no one would believe the amount of stuff I've already had to have the old shop redo (ask some of these guys that have waited on their stuff) and getting a better rate due to quantity of work being done in the shop. I come from the hot rod world where plating has to be very nice - what we call show chrome. I know pin guys well enough to know they want the same. I've gone back to some of those connections from automotive stuff to try to improve on some of the quality we will be offering here for pinheads at large.
    It's still work at the end of the day and I'm glad to be doing it. I hope that helps answer your question? If not I'm available, just hit me up, call or whatever
    Chris

#18 7 years ago

This is great news and a great thing for the hobby! Congrats and good luck.

Marc

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from sc93cobra:

Great question, I use different shops for different things now - this is new to the whole pin plating thing, this allows me to offer a few more options with powder coating coming. I'd want to play around with powder coating more before I offer to our customers but we'll get there. It also allows for me to have the guy that does the best X jobs to do those jobs, meaning better products.
    In buying Mike's biz, I now have all of Mike's stock which allows us to do quick exchanges on many items, so send me your Indy gun to brass and I send you one I already have done on the shelf and you don't have to wait, etc. I hope to continue to offer more of those types of items that are ready on the shelf as time goes on. Making turn around time much faster.
    I've always felt from the beginning that Mike's biz could and should keep on and could continue to benefit his parents, and the agreement we made does that for years to come. That was long before I had any idea I would be asked to do it. I think Mike would have wanted it this way. Woody is a great guy and I do believe there is plenty of work to go around.
    The pro in using someone that has a biz taking care of it is quality control, no one would believe the amount of stuff I've already had to have the old shop redo (ask some of these guys that have waited on their stuff) and getting a better rate due to quantity of work being done in the shop. I come from the hot rod world where plating has to be very nice - what we call show chrome. I know pin guys well enough to know they want the same. I've gone back to some of those connections from automotive stuff to try to improve on some of the quality we will be offering here for pinheads at large.
    It's still work at the end of the day and I'm glad to be doing it. I hope that helps answer your question? If not I'm available, just hit me up, call or whatever
    Chris

thanks! Answers it perfectly.

I will have some more work in the future and will let you know.

#20 7 years ago

That's Awesome

#21 7 years ago

Congrats! - Mike has touched two of my machines (TOM and TZ) his work lives on- and that's pretty cool!

Good luck.

#22 7 years ago

I shipped parts to Mike the week before he passed away. Chris has stepped up in a big way by finding my order and getting them back to me. Parts are expected to be delivered this Tues. I won't hesitate to send more parts for chrome in the future!

#23 7 years ago

I'm not going to lie, it was touch and go for a bit. When there were parts that I couldn't find and the plater wasn't sure he had them, it was a little nerve racking. But we've made it through! I'm glad to say everyone has received their parts back or they were just shipped this week. I'm grateful for everyone's patience through it all!

#24 7 years ago

Chris,
    Good luck in this endeavor. When I picked up all the brass for my IJ, I accidentally picked up 2 x left side hinges and no right side. Likewise I have a few pieces that would be of value to you to have in stock. Let's connect soon and exchange these.
    Bobby

#25 7 years ago

Bobby, I should have you a hinge then, let's get together and trade out. I want you to be taken care of on that. I'll be on vacation this week with my wife and kiddos, which is much needed after the last few months. After that we'll make it happen!

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from sc93cobra:

So in the evenings, for months now, I've been working to help Mike's dad with outstanding orders after we lost Mike in the accident. It looked as if another person was going to take this biz on and run it but he eventually decided it was not for him. When that happened, Mike's dad asked if I would would be willing to take it on and run with it as apart of our biz Hot Rod Arcade. It was a huge honor that he would even ask this, as I know many of you thought as much of Mike and the work he did as myself. So today we are announcing what we've been working on.
    Pinballplating.com is a domain Mike bought and never got around to using. It's an honor to see it come to life and it's been with the help of many friends that has become a reality. Out of respect to those that were waiting on outstanding orders so many were waiting on after his passing, we have waited to share this statement: that we are officially taking new orders now! Thank you in advance for your support of this endeavor! We will continue to do Chrome - Brass - Nickel - Black Nickel - and soon will be adding Powder Coating as well!
    Special thanks to Michael Rochelle, Vince Johnson and Andrew Fudge for your help in working through a bunch of this stuff to get to here. Also, special thanks to Ben Adkison for whipping together this site in literally a few days. It will have more added with a store in the future but we wanted to go ahead and get something up and going. Check it out and let us know what you think.
    A very special thanks to the Chestnuts. They have become family to me and they really wanted to see this happen, if not I promise you it would not have. I'm so grateful for them and glad that this will continue to benefit them as well as all the rest of us in the hobby.
    Feel free to reach me directly anytime at [email protected] or call/text @ 615-598-0024
    Check out the new site and let us know what you think, thanks!
    Chris
    http://www.pinballplating.com

#27 7 years ago

Chris > a suggestion...

Post your current prices for the common things you stock and just make a cart system for easy check out and payment.

Would be nice to have a system where say I want to order: 1 shadow in chrome (with exchange), 1 DH in black nickel (with exchange), 2 side rails in chrome. I just place the order, it shows me price, and gives me the address to shop to.

I check out, pay, and then ship my exchange parts with a store printed label. When they get to you, you open the box, and fill the order.

Just an idea.

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Chris > a suggestion...
    Post your current prices for the common things you stock and just make a cart system for easy check out and payment.
    Would be nice to have a system where say I want to order: 1 shadow in chrome (with exchange), 1 DH in black nickel (with exchange), 2 side rails in chrome. I just place the order, it shows me price, and gives me the address to shop to.
    I check out, pay, and then ship my exchange parts with a store printed label. When they get to you, you open the box, and fill the order.
    Just an idea.

That is the plan, like I said, this was just getting point of contact up and letting people finally know. I'm still working out what he charged for everything too, I'm taking a box of invoices for the last two years with me on vacation today to look at after everyone else is asleep while we are gone to try to build the price list stuff. I do appreciate the input! We'll get there eventually!!

1 week later
    #29 7 years ago

We are back from vacation if you are one of the ones waiting to ship parts, send them on!
    Detailed instruction are under contact on our site - pinballplating.com
    Dropped off a load of stuff today and a couple of things to test the powder coating waters.
    I have been amazed at the response in the last week and a half. It's been awesome getting to talk with so many of you via email and on the phone.
    Let me know if we can help you with something you are working on!
    Chris
    [email protected] or 615-598-0024

1 week later
    #30 7 years ago

First batch of some stuff we had powder coated came in, really nice stuff.
    Thanks to everyone for the orders. Glad to help anyone else that needs it! Please be sure that if you send things in you try to follow the instructions under the contact page of our site pinballplating.com and give me a heads up to let me know it's coming. Seeing some cool stuff!
    I'll get some pics up in the next couple of days of some of the stuff we've been working on.
    Chris
    [email protected] or 615-598-0024

#31 7 years ago

Just to show off a little bit of the powder coating stuff we've been playing with, here is a raised letter Gottlieb coin door for an arcade (Qbert, Mad Planets, Reactor, etc). This is done with a factory style texture like this door had originally. Looks AMAZING.
    We've got a bunch of stuff being plated - chrome - brass (gold) - black nickel - for many new customers and a few long timers too! Just want to say thank you to everyone for the support.
    I'm working to have more sitting on the shelf too for orders and exchanges. Let us know if we can help!
    Chris
    [email protected]
    615-598-0024 call or text
    pinballplating.com

IMG_7285_(resized).JPGIMG_7285_(resized).JPG

IMG_7287_(resized).JPGIMG_7287_(resized).JPG

IMG_7289_(resized).JPGIMG_7289_(resized).JPG

#32 7 years ago

I'm trying to stock stuff for exchange and other stuff that just hasn't been available on the shelf for a while.
    Parts we can exchange for many titles:
    wireforms or habitrails
    Gun shooters in different finishes for T2 - STTNG - Shadow - IJ - Fish Tales = the reel
    Some game specific parts for TOTAN - TOM - and a few others.

I of course also have a stock of all the other stuff in CHROME - BRASS - BLACK NICKEL - and now POWDER COATING
    Let me know if we can help. Please be sure to follow shipping instructions here: http://www.pinballplating.com/contact/
    Thanks for all the support!
    Chris

IMG_7401 (resized).JPGIMG_7401 (resized).JPG

IMG_7402 (resized).JPGIMG_7402 (resized).JPG

IMG_7397 (resized).JPGIMG_7397 (resized).JPG

#33 7 years ago

Atari Paperboy handlebars
    We can do the other pieces, this customer just wanted to do the four pieces with screws seen here.
    I know it's arcade but just so you can see them, they look amazing. Our custom chrome turnaround on parts just got faster and in my opinion better too.

IMG_7488 (resized).JPGIMG_7488 (resized).JPG

IMG_7484 (resized).JPGIMG_7484 (resized).JPG

IMG_7491 (resized).JPGIMG_7491 (resized).JPG

IMG_7479 (resized).JPGIMG_7479 (resized).JPG

IMG_7478 (resized).JPGIMG_7478 (resized).JPG

#34 7 years ago

Thanks for doing this Chris, these look great and I enjoyed our talk last week about Mike and other biz stuff..
    Will have to round up some stuff to send your way to have plated!

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from visi0n:

Thanks for doing this Chris, these look great and I enjoyed our talk last week about Mike and other biz stuff..
    Will have to round up some stuff to send your way to have plated!

It was really great to talk. Would love to help you get some stuff done, please yell anytime that I can help with something!
    Chris

#36 7 years ago

Saw all the Gun shooter handles with my own eyes yesterday. Oh my is all I could say!

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from sc93cobra:

I'm trying to stock stuff for exchange and other stuff that just hasn't been available on the shelf for a while.

Back in 2008, Mike drove down to my warehouse and bought my entire inventory of wireforms I bought from WMS back in '99.

He said that he wanted to go ahead and plate & inventory items for fast turn around.

I wish I had more to sell, but he bought everything I had.

#38 7 years ago

Looking forward to seeing your powder coating as I didn't have the best turnout from another company recently.

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Back in 2008, Mike drove down to my warehouse and bought my entire inventory of wireforms I bought from WMS back in '99.
    He said that he wanted to go ahead and plate & inventory items for fast turn around.
    I wish I had more to sell, but he bought everything I had.

I wish you had more too! But hey, I'm grateful for what you sold him then. Most of it is here with us now. Had someone just send in a set of Shadow wireforms, I'll be shipping out one of the sets that are sitting here on the shelf. Awesome story, thank you for sharing it. I love hearing how pieces of the business came together over the years.

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from mollyspub:

Looking forward to seeing your powder coating as I didn't have the best turnout from another company recently.

So far we've had a couple of arcade pieces. Next up is a set of High Speed Wireforms in Candy Apple Red. I'll post the results, our guys do amazing work with it. I'm also having a set of TMNT wireforms done as they were original in green and yellow. Might have those back next week, just dropped them off yesterday.

1 month later
    #41 7 years ago

I just want ad, I received a pile of parts back yesterday from HRA that I sent about 6 weeks ago. All were chromed and I couldn't be more happy with the quality of the work or service from Chris. I sent Bally coin door skins, door trim, other coin door parts and a lock down bar and everything looks amazing. Everything was carefully packed and secure. Yes Mike's plating biz DOES live on!!

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from Lovef2k:

I just want ad, I received a pile of parts back yesterday from HRA that I sent about 6 weeks ago. All were chromed and I couldn't be more happy with the quality of the work or service from Chris. I sent Bally coin door skins, door trim, other coin door parts and a lock down bar and everything looks amazing. Everything was carefully packed and secure. Yes Mike's plating biz DOES live on!!

Dude, thank you. I'm really glad you like your stuff. Like you said, I'm glad we've got another crew helping now make it all happen now. And... you do send lots of random stuff, lol. But I like that and look forward to seeing what all you do with it!

Lots of orders out this week, and just as many came in yesterday and today!

Let us know if we can help with Chrome - Brass - Black Nickel Plating or Powder Coating!
    Would love to help even more folks with their projects!
    Chris
    [email protected]
    Call or text 615-598-0024
    www.pinballplating.com

3 weeks later
    #44 7 years ago

I'm now helping Mike's dad sell Mike's machines in case anyone is interested in anything. Many have sold to local friends but there are still several left. Let meek now if I can help.
    Pics and list are here:
    https://www.facebook.com/HotRodArcade/
    Chris

IMG_9244 (resized).JPGIMG_9244 (resized).JPG

IMG_9154 (resized).jpgIMG_9154 (resized).jpg

IMG_9246 (resized).JPGIMG_9246 (resized).JPG

IMG_9245 (resized).JPGIMG_9245 (resized).JPG

#45 7 years ago

Here is the list of the games we still have available along with the post on the Hot Rod Arcade Facebook since some do not have a Facebook.

As many know, we lost a good friend, Mike Chestnut, back in May of this year. Mike was a larger than life type of guy, who was a great friend to many and a huge asset to the pinball hobby with his skills and knowledge. His family is ready to sell off his game collection and I'm helping his dad with doing this. All payments toward the games will be made to him, I'm just helping ease the process and will be glad to help set up times for pick up and so forth. Many of his pieces have already sold to friends of his and the list of what is left is below. Please let me know if I can help with anything. All games work great and Mike was always very particular with them. Thanks for looking.

Pinballs:
    Evel Knivel - $2400
    Flash - $1300
    Groundshaker - sold
    Bride of Pinbot - $2700
    Cyclone - $2400
    Funhouse - sold
    Creature - sold
    Medieval - sold
    Indy 500 - sold
    Banzai Run - sold
    Twilight Zone - sold
    Indiana Jones - $9500 (full restore, cleared, one of Mike's favs)

Arcades:
    Asteroids - sold
    Galaxian - $550
    Sea Wolf - sold
    Enduro Racer - $500
    Motorace USA - sold
    Stunt Cycle - sold
    Super Hang On - $550

Air Hockey - $500
    Pool Table/Ping Pong Combo - $600 w/sticks, balls, mount for sticks (not coin op)
    Dartboard - $100 (not coin op)

Feel free to email me at [email protected] or call/text at 615-598-0024

#46 7 years ago

Looks like all of the games that I sold Mike over the years, went pretty quick.

I'm glad to see that they went to good homes!

Good luck with the remaining sales.

I'm going to miss the weekend drives up to TN to hang out with my buddy Mike!

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Looks like all of the games that I sold Mike over the years, went pretty quick.
    I'm glad to see that they went to a good home!
    Good luck with the remaining sales.
    I'm going to miss the weekend drives up to TN to hang out with my buddy Mike!

Good friends ended up with all the ones from the house. We've all thought about trading our Indys for his too, but Mike helped all of us put our Indys together so it's a toss up. I got a few and already had a couple, honored to own them but it's bittersweet. You can come play what I have anytime. Any friend of his is a friend of mine.

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from sc93cobra:

Good friends ended up with all the ones from the house. We've all thought about trading our Indys for his too, but Mike helped all of us put our Indys together so it's a toss up. I got a few and already had a couple, honored to own them but it's bittersweet. You can come play what I have anytime. Any friend of his is a friend of mine.

One of those Indys came from I guy that I knew in Montevallo, AL.

I was buying it for myself, but Mike wasn't having any of that. So, I gave him the contact info.

Mike and I would look out for each other.

He was a funny guy!

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from sc93cobra:

Here is the list of the games we still have available along with the post on the Hot Rod Arcade Facebook since some do not have a Facebook.
    As many know, we lost a good friend, Mike Chestnut, back in May of this year. Mike was a larger than life type of guy, who was a great friend to many and a huge asset to the pinball hobby with his skills and knowledge. His family is ready to sell off his game collection and I'm helping his dad with doing this. All payments toward the games will be made to him, I'm just helping ease the process and will be glad to help set up times for pick up and so forth. Many of his pieces have already sold to friends of his and the list of what is left is below. Please let me know if I can help with anything. All games work great and Mike was always very particular with them. Thanks for looking.
    Pinballs:
    Evel Knivel - $2400
    Flash - $1300
    Groundshaker - sold
    Bride of Pinbot - $2700
    Cyclone - $2400
    Funhouse - sold
    Creature - sold
    Medieval - sold
    Indy 500 - sold
    Banzai Run - sold
    Twilight Zone - sold
    Arcades:
    Asteroids - sold
    Galaxian - $550
    Sea Wolf - sold
    Enduro Racer - $500
    Motorace USA - sold
    Stunt Cycle - sold
    Super Hang On - $550
    Air Hockey - $500
    Pool Table/Ping Pong Combo - $600 w/sticks, balls, mount for sticks (not coin op)
    Dartboard - $100 (not coin op)
    Feel free to email me at [email protected] or call/text at 615-598-0024

UPDATED LIST:
    Pinballs:
    Evel Knivel - $2400
    Bride of Pinbot - $2700
    Cyclone - $2400

Everything else has sold. Please let me know if you might be interested in one of Mike's games that we have left. Payments are made directly to Mike's dad. Thanks for looking.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mike-chestnuts-plating-biz-continues-on?hl=fxdwg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.