(Topic ID: 327469)

Jaws Is it next?

By whthrs166

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Sharkula_1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3757 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    shark (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    received_564789922109399 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20220529_180101357 (resized).jpg
    jaws (resized).jpg
    44D96922-A1C1-4284-9603-EBE7BFC0A579 (resized).jpeg
    images (resized).jpg
    giphy.gif
    6DA6FE15-7BF6-454A-A9BB-0E43BF3F7B0D (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-13 at 12.52.25 PM (resized).png
    08D7AE27-AEAE-4D9C-9E2F-925DE56FB775 (resized).jpeg
    There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 1 year ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Oh i was expecting someone to mention 3 of those 4. Yes. For every one that is semi up-to-date, there is literaly 10 that are old as hell. What's come out most recently?
    Scooby doo. Old
    Queen. Old
    Toy story 4. The newest of the bunch, but still quite old
    Led zeplin. Old
    Rush. Old
    James bond featuring shawn connery? My god old.
    Guys, comic book themes are the last bastian of what can be considered newer themes. But this is merely by accident. They just coincidently can be newer despite being conceived decades ago to appease the old people.
    Even stranger things. It is a newer IP based on the 80s. Mando: newer IP based on old movies from thr late 70s early 80s.
    You can't truly tell me that they sat in a board room and said, "gentlemen... the hell with the old guys this time. This theme is gonna be for the kids." Please be realistic.
    This hobby has no intention of surviving past us. What do you suppose the average age is of people that come here? 45? 50? For everyone that chimes in saying "I'm 28," there will be five 60 year olds.
    And I get it: you cater to people with the money. Totally understand. But after that, then what? Just sad to see them pandering to old heads exclusively, and are really painting themselves into a corner because of it.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Start your own pinball company, and own the youth market!

Baby Shark could be GOTY

#52 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Baby Shark could be GOTY

"I thought you'd say that. But even Baby Shark is an old man theme - did you see how popular it was at Nationals games in 2019? And baseball is an old man sport."

#53 1 year ago

JAWS = James Bond internal code name

There is no Jaws pinball in the worx

#54 1 year ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Unlike any other hobby I've ever seen, never have I seen a group so entrenched in giving zero fucks about the hobby's survival after we pass away than pinball.

To be fair, I think most people won't give a shit what happens after they're dead. And most of the stuff younger people are getting engaged in is so fleeting and transitory that it won't matter in a few years anyway. Let's make a Fidget Spinner pinball machine...

And I think Stranger Things was a "younger person's" pinball machine, and we can see how that sold. Unfortunately, most young people can't afford a game so there's not much money in today's themes. You've gotta appeal to the people with the deep pockets.

Bring on Jaws!

#55 1 year ago
    Quoted from turbo2nr:

JAWS = James Bond internal code name
    There is no Jaws pinball in the worx

Jaws was for Jurassic Park, I thought. The Jaws license has been bought by Stern, and I'm pretty sure it's coming because I've talked to two distributors about it and neither denied that it's in development, which they usually do if they've heard nothing.

#56 1 year ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

And I think Stranger Things was a "younger person's" pinball machine, and we can see how that sold.

What I've heard is it didn't sell because the early software was bad, and only later on did it get big updates to turn it into a good game but by then it was too late. I have no idea if it's a young person's machine or not. I'm 51 and my wife and I watched the series. Plus, tell me the UV lighting and projector aren't cool no matter what age the player is.

#57 1 year ago
    Quoted from dboeren:

What I've heard is it didn't sell because the early software was bad, and only later on did it get big updates to turn it into a good game but by then it was too late. I have no idea if it's a young person's machine or not. I'm 51 and my wife and I watched the series. Plus, tell me the UV lighting and projector aren't cool no matter what age the player is.

I've got it and it's one of my favorite games that I own. I think it appeals a lot more to younger kids than LZ, Rush, or Godzilla. There's a reason they sell all those STh shirts at Target and Walmart.

#58 1 year ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Toy story 4. The newest of the bunch, but still quite old

A game released in 2022 based off a 2019 movie is "quite old"? You must be one of those "pinball is easy" folks. You should take Levi's suggestion and start your own company, maybe you can release games so fast they come out before the license!

Quoted from Doctor6:

Even stranger things. It is a newer IP based on the 80s. Mando: newer IP based on old movies from thr late 70s early 80s.

Stranger Things takes place in the 80s therefore it's old is pretty good.

Licenses are boring. They also sell, and anyone who thinks companies like Stern and Spooky are doing it wrong while they cannot even keep up with all the demand is living in fantasy land.

Jaws feels like the most dull theme to me. Great poster, a couple cool action scenes, mostly people standing around talking. Not my dream theme. And yet, people haven't stopped talking about it for years and will line up to buy it, so who cares what I think?

#59 1 year ago

My life is over! My entire pinball collection is old! And damnit, the themes are all old too!

The legends of pinball handed me the baton, and said "James! Go forth and usher in a glorious era of pinball! Lead the youth and be enthralled!"

I will tell you this, I have had many parties, and the kids of my guests are bored of EVERYTHING in 5 minutes. This includes air hockey, skeeball, pinball, hoops fever, vintage arcade, modern arcade, xbox on an 85" TV.

Its right to their phones and ignore the environment around them.

Bring on Jaws, awesome theme.

#60 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

"I thought you'd say that. But even Baby Shark is an old man theme - did you see how popular it was at Nationals games in 2019? And baseball is an old man sport."

I figured someone would mention Baby Shark has been around the block a couple times at this point. I find the song irritating, myself.

Quoted from Aurich:

Jaws feels like the most dull theme to me. Great poster, a couple cool action scenes, mostly people standing around talking. Not my dream theme. And yet, people haven't stopped talking about it for years and will line up to buy it, so who cares what I think?

Maybe it would work better as a general concept, rather than following every scene and plot of the movie?

Or heck, call the game Shark Week and license it from Discovery. Then you can have your sharks....and eat them too?

#61 1 year ago
    Quoted from Flowst:

My life is over! My entire pinball collection is old! And damnit, the themes are all old too!
    The legends of pinball handed me the baton, and said "James! Go forth and usher in a glorious era of pinball! Lead the youth and be enthralled!"
    I will tell you this, I have had many parties, and the kids of my guests are bored of EVERYTHING in 5 minutes. This includes air hockey, skeeball, pinball, hoops fever, vintage arcade, modern arcade, xbox on an 85" TV.
    Its right to their phones and ignore the environment around them.
    Bring on Jaws, awesome theme.

You would also be correct in putting a comma after "air".

#62 1 year ago

I’m really curious to see what they do with Jaws. Full movie clips like Guardians or custom animations like Jurassic Park, as long as it’s a fun layout and engaging code I’m in.
    Jurassic Park could have easily been jaws. You are chief Brody saving swimmers from Jaws. The map in the middle could have been the different beaches, the rescue shots stay the same but they are swimmers and boaters instead of park workers, the Jeep could have been the Orca, hit it to change directions, the raptor tower is a lifeguard tower, the T Rex head is a shark head, there’s already a helicopter in both, instead of spelling chaos you spell shark, etc.
    I’m hoping for Elwin and 4 flippers personally, love the Iron Maiden layout

#63 1 year ago

It will definitely be more like Jurassic Park - original adventure, original animations, etc... If for no other reason than the license will basically dictate it.

I'd love to see a player select screen like Star Wars. Be The Sheriff, The Marine Biologist, The Hunter, or The Shark. Each can have traits to help with certain parts of the game. (Then offer a 3 vs 1 mode)

#64 1 year ago

I like movies with sharks chomping people, but I'm also feeling Jaws is a slow movie without a lot of scenes to base modes and multi balls off of. Maybe Shark Week or some other shark license would be better. Deep Blue Sea? Sharknado? Unlicensed shark game?

If Betty White was still alive we could have switched to Lake Placid with a giant gator theme. I'll bet she could have recorded some amazing callouts!

#65 1 year ago

A band puts out new material you like and then you check out their older stuff. My young kids love Ghostbusters. Ghostbusters Afterlife segued for them to the original Ghostbusters movies. Some older franchises are still current in that way.

#66 1 year ago

I have alot of people coming through my place weekly and when there are kids, they always gravitate to towards Creature and Jaws. Creature as they want to see him in the window and Jaws I think for the music and the fun basic fish tales game play. Adults go straight to Mad Max. Pinsound orchestration makes a huge difference.
    I was contemplating a pf window with Bruce appearing behind the Orca in my retheme but it never eventuated.
    I'm really happy how it turned out and being a home retheme was able to use alot of the original movie stuff in my game, I love it including the pippet callouts and goal. I think catering for kids and pinball evolution will be a hard slog with all of the electronica and www. My 16yo son would agree....

I think a movie or band based pin has to have all the elements, actors and assets. Alien I love but the absence of Ripley is sad. A Jaws pin imo needs the three main actors heavily in the game or it will be empty regardless of toys, and of course the full musical score.
    Same for Mad Max. Otherwise it may as well be sharknado!

I am biased always for the original movies only as not often the sequels work for me anyway...with some great exceptions like Indiana Jones and John Wick.

The other aspect for pinball dying for me is the whole process we are in and the delays and costs.

I'd be in on a fully asseted John Wick or Predator pin in a heartbeat. But the time from speculation, to releases, to making it to Australia, to actually getting one available, to affording the new pricing levels and then waiting for full code and actually getting it delivered is imo realistically far too long. Kids are impatient and so am I. I'd want a machine in my home 3 months max from when it was announced. My other personal opinion is not one nib game I can think of doesn't need blinging or add ons or fixing...personal taste I know but I want it to tick every box if I own it, art, music, hardware.

I'm personally just sticking with my custom games and doing whatever and whenever I want with any dream theme. Couple more in progress now and have helped people do the same if they wanted to. There are so many titles I'd love to explore. Predator, Astroboy, Running on Empty, 80s alternative new wave bands, Space 1999, The Goodies......

I guess we need more manufacturers but also a growing demographic....bit of a catch 22 I guess.
    Throw into the mix the fomos and flippers I think it skews the nib market in many ways.

I remember when I had Iron Man and Spiderman in the shed as well. Kids would have maybe one game then straight to Creech to find that monster! I think there is something intriguing to kids to have a physical goal that is tactile and not on a screen. Maybe a Bally Pinball Circus style game is something they would love.
    received_564789922109399 (resized).jpegreceived_564789922109399 (resized).jpeg

#67 1 year ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

A band puts out new material you like and then you check out their older stuff. My young kids love Ghostbusters. Ghostbusters Afterlife segued for them to the original Ghostbusters movies. Some older franchises are still current in that way.

This is how I got my 11 year old to watch the 1976 Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla movie with me last night. He plays the pinball, watched the recent Godzilla vs. Kong, and now he'll watch the older movies too.

#68 1 year ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I've got it and it's one of my favorite games that I own. I think it appeals a lot more to younger kids than LZ, Rush, or Godzilla. There's a reason they sell all those STh shirts at Target and Walmart.

It is also a more enjoyable, straightforward game and better theme than those others... yes, including GZ which I own.

#69 1 year ago

License is based on Jaws 3. Michael Caine is in it.

#70 1 year ago

I like the general idea of a Jaws themed pin rather than one dictated by the movies. As a slasher type movie (which it is hehe) you could make the 'story' pretty generic and make your own modes - similar if not taken straight from the movies. It doesn't NEED to have all the movie quotes in it. All it NEEDS is the backbox to have the original Jaws poster, and some decent artwork that calls back to it as well. The rest? You can make up. FFS don't base it directly off a sequel name. Who does that??

Also, pinball will exist in in small numbers in 50 years, but it will be called Boomerball. If it isn't already

6 months later
    #71 10 months ago

wanted to share this find somewhere in case Jaws ever gets made...
    https://www.readfulthings.com/products/amity-freedom-12x18-print

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

3 weeks later
    #73 9 months ago
    Quoted from Georgiapinball:

Check out the Jaws Pinball Facebook group.

I joined a few days ago. The excitement is building.

#74 9 months ago

Just re-watched the movie in 4k for the first time on my 85" with my new surround sound setup. It was a whole new experience of this movie for me. 4k does make somethings look less real, but the shark itself still looked great imo. The soundtrack was amazing in surround.

#75 9 months ago
    Quoted from Vino:

Cocaine Bear pin next to Jaws!

shark (resized).jpegshark (resized).jpeg
    #76 9 months ago

Cocaine Shark is a movie that writes itself

#77 9 months ago

Is anyone hyped to see this shark movie?

#78 9 months ago
    Quoted from DropGems:

License is based on Jaws 3. Michael Caine is in it.

That’s Jaws the Revenge, not 3. Jaws 3 is based in Seaworld.

#79 9 months ago
    Quoted from Georgiapinball:

Check out the Jaws Pinball Facebook group.

Do you have a link? I can’t find it.

#80 9 months ago

I met Randy Martinez at TPF ‘22 and bought his original Jaws sketch for San Diego Comicon. If he’s on art, we’re in good hands.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #81 9 months ago

I wish Franchi could do it

IMG_3757 (resized).jpegIMG_3757 (resized).jpeg
    #82 9 months ago

they're making a Broadway play about how hard it was to make the movie

at least Robert Shaw's son is doing it

#83 9 months ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

they're making a Broadway play about how hard it was to make the movie
    at least Robert Shaw's son is doing it

That was interesting. Thanks for sharing it

#84 9 months ago
    Sharkula_1 (resized).jpgSharkula_1 (resized).jpg
    2 months later
    #85 6 months ago

Any other updates?

2 months later
    #87 3 months ago

I've been told I should buy a couple LEs and keep them in the box.

Yeah, like I've got space to waste for that.

#88 3 months ago

Im gonna wait until next year to see what color Jaws LE is in 2025 on the 2nd LE release.

Quoted from o-din:

I've been told I should buy a couple LEs and keep them in the box.
    Yeah, like I've got space to waste for that.

#89 3 months ago
    Quoted from nocreditdot:

Im gonna wait until next year to see what color Jaws LE is in 2025 on the 2nd LE release.

Smart. That will be the one that will have a "Super Limited Edition Deluxe" Topper, ...included.

#90 3 months ago
    Quoted from Yipykya:

Smart. That will be the one that will have a "Super Limited Edition Deluxe" Topper, ...included.

There is a FAR better chance that a monkey will pop out of my ass over Stern including a topper with a pin.

#91 3 months ago
    Quoted from Only_Pinball:

There is a FAR better chance that a monkey will pop out of my ass over Stern including a topper with a pin.

Challenge ...accepted

#92 3 months ago

I will wait for a special anniversary version. Or not buy at all.

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jaws-is-it-next-/page/2?hl=cdonnerusmc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.