(Topic ID: 189586)

If the programmers were better then this hobby will explode!

By Radrog

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 196 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by jwilson
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    this-guy...i-love-this-guy-drunk-baby-meme (resized).jpg
    IMG_6659 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Wolfmarsh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#101 6 years ago

I think there are some fantastic coders in the pinball industry.

Just like any evolution, the pinball companies will learn how to grow into this new world they are creating with graphic rich games and the player's desire for deep rule sets (i.e. lots of code). With the addition of the LCD, they've taken a step into the world of having to understand and optimize UX.

Hopefully they ask the right people the right questions and get there without some of the pain, but I have no doubt they will get there.

I understand what Darscot is saying, even if I don't 100% agree with it all. If you've worked at a large software corporation with a mature SDLC, you know the powerhouse that a full-on PD department can be. Pinball just doesn't have that kind of cash, so they will have to make do however they can. I think they've done a great job so far.

#131 6 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

DLC for video games went from a decent expansion that comes out a few months after the original game, to "day one" dlc to get people to pay more for what should've been included in the original purchase in the first place. No thanks.

This is something I see thrown around a lot that is just incorrect. There are a lot of legitimate reasons for day one DLC. Since this thread is about pinball I won't go into it all, but most companies with DLC day one have a good reason for it. There are some stinkers out there, but it's a small minority.

#161 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

The fact that you don't see any issue with any of this makes me sad. Freemium games these days are engineered specifically to "hook" people on "crack". It's practically psychological abuse. Playing into our worst weaknesses as human beings.

I think things have been this way for a long time, not just in freemium games. Companies are just getting better at it too.

For example, one of the things the company I work for does is to determine someone's giving potential so non-profits know who to approach for money and for how much. Even down to how to appeal to the specific donor in some cases.

Some sites are advanced enough to present unique visitors different donation options based on who the system determines they are.
    Certain visitors might get $5, $10, and $25 donation buttons while other visitors may get $25, $50, and $100.

Once a basic system like that is in place, the only direction to go is to improve it. Run that cycle for a decade and well... you see the results.

Quoted from Darscot:

To a modern software engineer that is in any way competent I can assure you the code on a pin is not difficult or overly complex.

I can assure you that I am far beyond competent and still know that pinball machines have their own unique requirements and constraints. The end code may not be that complex compared to large SaaS systems, but for any developer to say "hey, I understand how to scope a project that I don't have any experience in" usually results in people/companies wondering why they are 2000 hours into a project scoped at 500 hours.

In modern, large, scaling SaaS systems a lot of the heavy lifting is done by frameworks or other software stacks that have had untold monies and hours poured into them. I don't think pinball gets that luxury.

That said, check out Mission Pinball Framework if you want to see some great coders putting together code for pinball machines. The SDLC for MPF has matured so much over the past few years and even includes automated testing. Those guys have put an amazing effort forward and it shows.

http://missionpinball.org/

#166 6 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

I forked MPF to get it running on the machine the high school kids are working on. I'll do a pull request if I get it into a presentable state. The platform we are using is Arduino Mega based. That being said, anyone with some time to burn could really help the project in documentation if nothing else. There is nothing in there on creating new platforms, for example(at least, nothing I've found). So, you just have to dive into the code for other platforms and go from there.

If you are getting that down and dirty with MPF you should reach out to Jan/Brian/Quinn who are the developers on it. They would love to hear about your project, I'm sure! Hit them up on their forums, if you haven't already: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/mpf-users

You don't have your location listed, but if you are going to be at the Southern-Fried Gameroom Expo next week I'd love to hear about your project!!

#183 6 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I haven't seen mentioned all the not-fun coding required to robustly deal with broken switches, stuck balls, jams, physical ball locks with multiple players, etc. Probably takes as long as the "fun" part.

Managing the trough correctly is a beast.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Wolfmarsh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-the-programmers-were-better-then-this-hobby-will-explode?tu=Wolfmarsh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.