JJ_Pink.JPG
P3310060.JPG
PA170014.JPG
PA170015.JPG
2013-09-02_20.23.17.jpg
2013-09-02_20.25.04.jpg
2013-09-02_20.23.02.jpg
2013-09-01_14.56.13.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Andy_B.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 10 years ago

You're just going to have to sand those bad boys out, re-paint and re-decal. I know how you feel but it's not such a disaster. If you do as good a job on the re-paint as you did initially then it'll be fine. It's the fact that all that effort and work has gone tits up that's the real bummer.
Check out my Jungle Lord How I laughed !!!

PA170015.JPGPA170015.JPG PA170014.JPGPA170014.JPG

#25 10 years ago

Paint markers or any kind of marker will not work for this. You can have all the "how to" threads about playfield restoration, but it won't mean everyone can do it. There are tons of variables elements out there, that will kick you in the balls. Crap like this still happens from time to time even after doing this for 8 years. And sometimes you don't know why. Could be bad batch of clear, would be bad decals, could be wrong sealer, bad sealer, could be a reaction to the original lacquer to the decals (not in this case but does cause other wierd stuff). That's one of the main reasons i'll do waterslides over a layer of clear. Just in case crap happens, you can sand it out, without destroying all your hard work repainting everything. It sucks to have this happen. Just sand it out, seal those decals better and with a better product and try again.
Problem with Varathane (besides fading out your colors with every layer), is that it takes forever to dry. leaving a ton of time for it to react to other elements you have in play.

My problem was using a cheap, crappy, pre-catalysed clearcoat and putting it on waaaayyyyyy too thick. The touch ups were all done with acrylic. Didn't turn out too bad in the end.

P3310060.JPGP3310060.JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Andy_B.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-messed-up-my-playfield-restore?tu=Andy_B and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.