(Topic ID: 327565)

How to Put Your Stern SPIKE2 Pin in "Sleep" Mode?

By Jason_Jehosaphat

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by VALIS666
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

I find it reassuring to see my desktop computer save energy (and whatever else) by going into "sleep" mode when I don't use it for ten minutes or so. The screen goes dark; the hard drive stops spinning; things become noticeably quieter; etc. Maybe this actually accomplishes little more than appealing to my "preservationist" impulses. I don't really know.

I thought it might make sense to do something similar with my Stern pinball - if it's at all possible. What I do now is to simply open and leave open the coindoor. I can power the machine down, obviously, but then I have to boot it up again later when it's time to play again, something that's at least a little taxing on the CPU. Leaving it on and in attract mode uses energy and - to a small degree - generates heat and wears out parts like bulbs/SMD's or even processors that choreograph the light show. By opening the coindoor, the high-voltage power to the playfield is cut off, turning all lights there off. The backbox stays lit (to whatever intensity is has been set) and the cooling fan will cycle on/off periodically. Is this a reasonable way to make your game "sleep" when you're not using it for an hour or two? Is it somehow more injurious to the game than simply powering it off/on? I'm only trying to take care of my game and use less energy if I can. Thoughts?

#2 1 year ago

Many people put Sterns on location where they stay on 40+ hours a week with no issue. I wouldn't worry about it.

#3 1 year ago

It's not going to hurt it leaving it on. It won't hurt it turning it on, off and on again when you want to play it again later.

I've got 33 games on location that are on 13 hours a day for the past 5 years. Everything that I have had to fix on any of them were from being played.

You'll be fine. But I understand the part about wanting to maybe save energy. In that case, just turn it off.

#4 1 year ago

Don't sweat it, Commercial machines manufactured to be on for half the day at least. There's no taxing the CPU by turning them off & on.

Lots of people hook them to remote controllers if you want tobgo that route; but for me this what the power switch is for.

#5 1 year ago

I'd say it is more about reducing power consumption (and electric bill) than making the electronics last longer.

Timed GI power saver in WPC games was a good idea, even though todays LED games dont use so much power for GI.

You could power the game via a "kill a watt" or similar measuring device, and see how much difference there is in consumption between coin door open and closed.

#6 1 year ago

Little power switch on the head.... Flip it.

#7 1 year ago

I understand the $$$ reasons why the power switch was moved to backbox... but it is totally inconvenient if you have several games besides each other. And turning power off is not exactly a "sleep mode".

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

... but it is totally inconvenient if you have several games besides each other...

Only if you're under 5'3.

You can also throw the breaker they are on.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Only if you're under 5'3.
You can also throw the breaker they are on.

I'm 5'6" and they are indeed a pain in the arse to reach.

#10 1 year ago

A nice dark room and few hits off the vape always puts me to sleep.

But anyway, no hard drive and no incandescent bulbs creating heat = nothing potentially damaging going on, at least not drastically. I guess there's fan wear, but those should hopefully run for thousands of hours before dying. Saving on the electricity bill though, yeah, that's your call.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 35.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Hutto, TX
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 14.95
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eagan, MN
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wellington, FL
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-put-your-stern-spike2-pin-in-sleep-mode?hl=tuukka and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.