40%
  • No 3 votes
    60%

(5 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

HiresRootBeerLogo (resized).jpg
#1 47 days ago

As the title says, is hires lossless the new standard that records brought us? CD wasn’t the same. Always sounded lifeless

#2 47 days ago

Spatial Audio even better. Insane.

#3 47 days ago

It's OK. But I like A&W better.

HiresRootBeerLogo (resized).jpgHiresRootBeerLogo (resized).jpg
#4 47 days ago

My first thought was "Is lossless a pinball username, what was he hired for, and who was the previous record holder?"

Hi-res, got it.

Yes.

#5 47 days ago

What does boob think about it?

I hear he knows how to play an instrument. The spoons I think is his go to.

#6 47 days ago

Human ears can’t tell the difference between hi-res and AAC. And you only get hires with a fully wired connection, using an external DAC, even the Apple dongle thing limits its output, negating the effect. if you are using Bluetooth anywhere in the chain, it compresses the signal so you lose any (imperceptible anyway) benefits. So yeah, it’s not worth it. On paper/in the data, pretty awesome. Real world? Waste of $$

#7 47 days ago

I am somehow reminded of the 70's audiophile mag reviews that touted a particular amp/turntable/speaker/whatever as having .001% distortion, whereas the "lesser" models had .002% distortion, as if _anyone_ could actually hear the difference.

#8 47 days ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

What does boob think about it?
I hear he knows how to play an instrument. The spoons I think is his go to.

I thought is was some sort of flute?

#9 47 days ago

I doubt theres any difference, although I'm sure golden ear audiophile clowns will claim they can tell a difference (they can't). Then again, most of those golden ear types shy away from most things digital. No, hi-res lossless is just a way to keep bumping up the already topped out "sound quality" market to get a couple more nickels out of the pants of suckers.

#10 47 days ago
Quoted from JWJr:

I am somehow reminded of the 70's audiophile mag reviews that touted a particular amp/turntable/speaker/whatever as having .001% distortion, whereas the "lesser" models had .002% distortion, as if anyone_ could actually hear the difference.

That’s still a thing, and still absolutely no one can actually tell the difference. I’ve had discussions with people where they don’t understand the difference between audio compression (squeezing the actual audio wave so there is less dynamic range), and digital/data compression, where the data is squeezed to take up less space by using mathematical replacement (any audio pretty much, including lossless) or complete removal of sounds we can not hear (mp3, etc). Both types of compression occur in most audio systems.

Even vinyl (kind of accidentally) compresses the audio a bit

#11 47 days ago
Quoted from poppapin:

I thought is was some sort of flute?

A big black flute?

#12 47 days ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

A big black flute?

I thought it was mahogany?

#13 47 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That’s still a thing, and still absolutely no one can actually tell the difference. I’ve had discussions with people where they don’t understand the difference between audio compression (squeezing the actual audio wave so there is less dynamic range), and digital/data compression, where the data is squeezed to take up less space by using mathematical replacement (any audio pretty much, including lossless) or complete removal of sounds we can not hear (mp3, etc). Both types of compression occur in most audio systems.
Even vinyl (kind of accidentally) compresses the audio a bit

That’s actually a great analogy for how vinyl works.

#14 47 days ago

I still prefer the sound of MP3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hires-lossless-the-new-record?hl=jwjr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.