Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Rarehero
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Newsom.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

Seems to me like it is a good combination of his previous games. The layout is sort of a combo of FH and a mirrored TZ. There is the controlled feed to mini-flipper with a cross PF shot to a sinkhole like Addams. The left shooter lane and dummy heads from FH. The artwork style, theme and non-traditional layout features like Earthshaker.
I like twitch features like bridge out shots which are very similar to the spiral shots in TZ (inlanes light a shot you must make immediately). I also really like the collectible aspect to the souvenirs.
Pat himself said he designed the game to be accessible for new players, which is something that adds tangible value for me — the most joy I get from pinball is when sharing it with others. Shooting straight up the middle at Ted is an easy understandable way to get to multiball, and the lock shot isn't too hard. It's like DW in that way — tough game but easy to understand for newbies who have a good chance at experiencing success and the trill of getting to multiball.

Yes, it seems like it would be a good idea to do a "Lawlor greatest hits" pin from his prior successes, but in reality it does not work that well.
It was always exciting to see a new Lawlor pin - what new ideas would he come up with?
Well, with RS, nothing. If I am feeling generous, I could say that the "reverse standup" was a new idea, but really that by itself is not much at all.
And the ultra linear scoring, ugh. At least on RFM, it's ultra linear cousin, I can choose which mode to start on.
And some of the biggest payoffs in the game come from getting a particular random souvenir? Ewww, bad rules.
It is not a horrible game, and the personality saves it somewhat, but altogether, the game comes off as rather uninspired.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

Have you watched the Williams promo video for Road Show? It's worth watching. It explains why decisions like the linear progression were made.

No, I have not seen it. I just go by what is enjoyable to play and what is not.

Quoted from accidental:

Every pinball has an objective defined by the state of the industry at the time. It wasn't conceived to be enjoyed by us at home. That's not to say that it shouldn't be evaluated in this way, but it is important to realise that it's not a 'bad game'. It is instead perhaps 'not ideal for home ownership' in the eyes of some people.

I have played RS hundreds of times, almost all of them on location.

Quoted from accidental:

I think Pat nailed his brief with Road Show. In reaction to the insanely complex and intimidating TZ, RS was intended to be a family-friendly approachable theme that could be understood by anyone. A PF toy that is easy to understand and interact with — just shoot up the middle. Rules that are easy to understand and don't stack to confuse people. The linear progression is intended to increase the chance for people to buy-in to the game. It's supposed to be impossible to reach the end and see all the modes without a buy-in.
All this with enough depth to keep the good players interested. It has the most depth you could ask for without implementing mode stacking.
Nobody complained that Ghouls and Ghosts or Contra were linear and found themselves playing the first level 100% of the time and the final level 1% of the time.

I guess by depth you mean a bunch of modes. There really is not that much to do in RS. Play modes and get to the west coast, spin the wheel, play multiball, get bonus via bridge outs, what else? Millions plus, cheeseburger, I guess. Oh, and pick up those unbalancing souvenirs.

Weren't all video games in the late 80s linear? That is one of the reasons that I started playing pin. The player controls the way that the game goes in pin. Well getting replays was pretty important too.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from akm:

If one thing's for sure though, the game is a serious test of endurance when attempting to make it through every city on the map (which I've yet to do).

Don't get your hopes up for a big fanfare.

Kind of like when I was expecting something after completing 18 holes on NGG. I mean, it's golf, you play 18 holes. I was expecting something other than hole in one challenge.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 63.95
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 26.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Newsom.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-robt-roadshow-is-pretty-damn-cool?tu=Newsom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.